Best ports to sail from

hogwildcruzers

I wonder if it makes a difference which line you are travelling? We travelled on celebrity out of Vancouver and it was a piece of cake:) Embarking and disembarking. We travelled on Carnival out of Miami and it was a nightmare both embarking and disembarking. Actually to say it was a nightmare is too kind:eek:

actually our friends have cruised out of Mobile twice since the Holiday has home ported there. They had taken her 3 times out of N.O. and like the ease of Mobile a little more.

Guess I misunderstood what you said. I thought you said they cruised out of Mobile every three months....? :rolleyes:

I did go out of Miami last year and there was a lot of construction going on at the at facility at the time, they say it will make things much faster when finished. As for our time there the line was very long maybe 45min wait and the traffic at disembarkment was terrible took for ever to get out of port area.

I think it depends on the cruise line in some of the ports. For instance we sailed from Miami in November on Carnival and it was the worst experience ever. Not only is it far from the airport, but Carnival's facilities are run down, but look down the pier to RCCL and they have brand new buildings for their piers. However, I do like the pier in FLL, it's so close to the airport and we had no problems getting on or off. Leaving from San Juan in May, have heard mixed opinions.

• 1 month later...
After hearing horror stories about the embarkment from many ports, I thought it be fun to hear from each person on what is the best port to embark from. Mine would have to be Seattle and the worst would be New Orleans, just getting to the pier was a nightmare.

We are cruising out of New Orleans on the Grandeur next month. How long does it take to get from the dock to the Gulf of Mexico? I'm really excited about cruising the Mississippi, should I be?

Thanks

Caseythegr,

I have never cruised from New Orleans so cannot answer your time question, but I can answer your question about cruising the Mississippi.................. OF COURSE you should be excited!!!!!! I would be!

We were in New Orleans last year, and I spent half my time in our hotel room looking out over the river, and the Carnival Ship there, and WISHED I was going.. (I think I'm cruise obsessed!) :D

Have a great cruise!

San Francisco is a great port to sail out of as you go undaer the Golden Gate Bridge but the street in front of the terminal can be brutal. The street The Embarcadero is very touristy because of Piers 39 and 41(Fishermans Wharf) With the tourists and the people getting off and on the ship is horrible but still sailing under the Golden Gate is magical.

Marilyn

• 2 weeks later...

No one even mentioned Baltimore. We like Baltimore, because it is close and we don't have to fly. We are in Pennsylvania. However, for some reason Royal Caribbean is the only line now going out of Balimore. I am not sure why this is. We left out of New York and while it was quick and not busy, it is a dirty old place. I thought the Baltimore terminal beat NY hands down. Anyone know why Baltimore is blackballed?

Archived