Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle and wine tour questions

Lyssa78

Hello! I'm going on an Alaska cruise from Seattle in June with my mom who has some mobility issues. We are going to spend three nights prior and two night post cruise in Seattle. Post cruise we will be staying downtown near the light rail and monorail in the Mayflower Park hotel and plan to do the Pike's Place, Space Needle, etc then.

I'm tying to figure out how to spend our time the couple of days pre-cruise with hopefully not renting a car. My main question is, can we possibly get to the Woodland Park Zoo from an airport hotel without renting a car? I looked at their website and it talks about buses from downtown, which I'm not familiar with and seems really confusing. I don't know how much a cab would cost, not really sure where the zoo is in relation to the airport and downtown.

Also, I am thinking of doing a tour that goes to Snoqualmie Falls and a couple of wineries in that area. Has anyone done this tour?

TIA!

Hello! I'm going on an Alaska cruise from Seattle in June with my mom who has some mobility issues. We are going to spend three nights prior and two night post cruise in Seattle. Post cruise we will be staying downtown near the light rail and monorail in the Mayflower Park hotel and plan to do the Pike's Place, Space Needle, etc then.

I'm tying to figure out how to spend our time the couple of days pre-cruise with hopefully not renting a car. My main question is, can we possibly get to the Woodland Park Zoo from an airport hotel without renting a car? I looked at their website and it talks about buses from downtown, which I'm not familiar with and seems really confusing. I don't know how much a cab would cost, not really sure where the zoo is in relation to the airport and downtown.

TIA!

The zoo is worth going to, if you like zoos, at all. They have won many national awards for various displays, particularly involving blending natural habitat seemlessly into a "zoo" environment.

The zoo is located directly north of downtown, about the same distance as the airport is directly south of downtown. The new light-rail system can get you from the airport (SeaTac) to the downtown transit tunnel Once in the tunnel, you switch to bus route 5 that takes you directly to the zoo. http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/ can be used to schedule the exact time and dates of you travel and will tell you when to make the transfer.

The zoo is worth going to, if you like zoos, at all. They have won many national awards for various displays, particularly involving blending natural habitat seemlessly into a "zoo" environment.

The zoo is located directly north of downtown, about the same distance as the airport is directly south of downtown. The new light-rail system can get you from the airport (SeaTac) to the downtown transit tunnel Once in the tunnel, you switch to bus route 5 that takes you directly to the zoo. http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/ can be used to schedule the exact time and dates of you travel and will tell you when to make the transfer.

That doesn't look too bad, thanks! That is the kind of local info I was looking for. :)

The 5 does not run in the tunnel. You must come up out of the tunnel and catch it on the east side of 3rd Av, between Pine and Stewart.

If you are very used to mass transit then go ahead and use the bus system, but Seattle isn't known for having a very user friendly or efficient system. If there are mobility issues, perhaps taking light rail downtown and using a cab from there. Probably not more than a 15 minute ride from downtown to get to the zoo (depending on traffic). Make sure you hop on a ferry to Bainbridge Island when you are on the waterfront, very scenic and certainly a Seattle experience. No need for reservations, the ferries run all day. Personally, I think Snoqualmie Falls is over rated, if you can do a bus tour I might suggest one that goes to Levenworth for the day. The north Cascade mountain views are spectacular along the way.

Archived