Non-cruise excusions to Abu Simbel

sands28

We are planning on going on a Uniworld Splendor the Nile, River Tosca, cruise and are seeking informtion for an alternative way to see Abu Simbel that avoidis the cost and harrowing airplane ride(on AirMemphis--but not on EqgyptAir). If anyone has any suggestions and/or reviews of these bus tours we would greatly appreciate it.

Abu Simbel is about 280km from Aswan. Tourist vehicles making the trip assemble at a police checkpoint in Aswan and travel in convoy for security reasons. There are two convoys each day the first departs from the checkpoint about 4.30am and the second about 11.30am. Add an extra hour to get the group assembled, onto the bus, drive to the checkpoint, register the bus etc. Tourists are not permitted to travel this road at other times.

We opted for the early convoy for a number of reasons. Sunrise over the desert was magnificent and even in mid-winter (January) it was hot by mid morning.

Abu Simbel was included in our tour so I can't help you with costs or reliable guides.

Yes, for us it was worth the early start and effort to see this remarkable construction and reconstruction.

We took the incl.tour with air to Abu Simbul and it was great, no hassle, quick,safe, and more time to tour site....our friends,from ship, took the overland route and told us later it was a real hassle,up early, bus old and crowded and little time or energy after to really appreciate it once there.

Unless you are deathly afraid of fllying,per se, I d go with tour .Let me know if you have any questions,,,really the plane was new and crew fine and flight fast.....I say go for it....;)

alexandra cruiser: Was the flight on Egypt Air or Air Memphis?? How much time did you spend in Abu Simbel?? It appears that the bus trips allow only about 2 hours at the site!!!

saw other planes at the small airport,,,spent 3hrs.or more,,,but did some souviner shopping at small boothes prior.....it was more than enough ,,,,have heard some tours spent more time,but this was fine,got some great photos,etc...it was from ship and they wanted to get us back in time for dinner...flight was less than 1 hr.total....another concern,,,, if you book on own, its up to you to get back to boat in time,,,,they WILL sail without you....this really happened to a couple on our German cruise,,,,don t worry,you ll love it,,,,:D

We took the Air Memphis flight and it was fine. It allowed more time at the site. Did not need to get up as early as the bus trip. Very safe and flight crew was efficient and friendly.Spent 3 hours at the site which is more than sufficient and were back on on river boat in Luxor by 1300 hours.

Hi Mzhelen,

I saw Abu Simbel during our Tauck Tour in November. It is not just "an excursion worth doing", it was better than viewing the Pyramids and Sphinx. Google the site and read all about how it was "rescued" from being lost when the Dam was built.

Sheila

An incredible experience. We did this tour from our Avalon cruise by air on EgyptAir so no help with the airlines issue. We did see a caravan from the air and it seemed like there was nothing but desert.

If I can figure it out I will attach a photo I took from our plane as we were coming in over Abu Simbel and Lake Nasser..

It's definitely worth the cost and the time. A true highlight of a trip with unbelievable highlights.

This is very helpful, as we're doing the Tosca in June. Sounds like this is an excursion worth doing. Did you book before you left, or on board?

We made all arrangements prior to the trip. We strongly recommend that you do not wait until your on the trip.

Again, the trip is well worth the effort, and do not be concerned about the flight.

Archived