Nativeway

erRN2be

We have rays,reef and rum point booked for April. I was wondering for those of you whom have used nativeway how they were with novice snorkelers? My family has never snorkeled. I am hoping that they will be very helpful in assisting us in getting started etc.

How are they with those whom are very frightened at the stingrays?

I unfortuanately did not have the overwhelming "nice" sharon that everyone talked about when I reserved our trip and am concerened about how the guides will be with my family.

Chelle

We used Nativeway about a year and a half ago when we went to Grand Cayman... My boyfriend is a great snorkeler but before that trip I had only snorkeled twice very briefly so I dont consider myself to be a pro.. Basically they get in the water with you and guide everyone to an area.. They give you the equipment before you get off the boat and pretty much everyone stays right there together and snorkels... The guides get the stingrays over to where you are and they will help you hold them if you want so you can get a picture.. if you just want to pet them they will hold it for you.. they offer anyone who wants squid so you can feed the stingrays.. they give you instructions on that.. They really dont help you with the snorkeling part that I remember.. although I could be wrong.. its just been awhile since we went.. once we leave that area and are headed back they stop to let whoever wants off to snorkel ... they stop the boat .. some people got off when we did and snorkeled and we stayed there a bit and then got back on and headed back.. One of them did get in the water and snorkeled with us.. My suggestion would be to practice before you go if thats an option.. Not sure of the ages in your family but maybe you can get some snorkels and masks ahead of time and let them practice in the tub.. also they can use the snorkel gear in the pool while on the ship to practice and if you have another port the day before you go to GC they can practice there.. I just dont remember them helping anyone actually snorkel.. I got a pair of floaties for my 7 yr old to help her while in the water with the stingrays.. Im hoping she will be ok as this is her first time to try it.. I figure she wont snorkel but you never know.. I plan on getting her a snorkel and mask this week for our upcoming trip so she can start practicing..

We found the guides from Nativeway to be very patient and helpful. On our boat one woman was very fearful and wasn't planning on leaving the boat. The guide was very helpful with her and tried to (patiently) to help her overcome her fear and get in the water. Although she ultimately did not do it, I was impressed that he took the time to help her the best he could. I would definately ask the guides to help you and your little ones and tell them this is your first time. If at all possible I would recommend trying either snorkel somewhere else from shore or even in your neighborhood pool at least once to get the hang of it so you won't be nervous. It is a little intimidating to try it for your first time in deep water. If you can't do that, when you go to the stingray area the water is shallow and you could take a few minutes to practice there, at least putting your mask in and breathing through the snorkel. Make sure the mask is on good and snug with no leaks and if you have girls make sure ponytails don't interfere with the placement of the mask straps or it will leak.

I figure we will wing it. Both my boys are probably actually better "snorkelers" then I am as they do it in the pool and the tub all of the time. :) I am not leary, but my husband is scared to death. He can swim, but doesn't see the actual joy in swimming with creatures. He does not plan on getting off of the boat at all with the stingrays, and neither does my grandmother. Now my grandmother is a non-swimmer, but can't wait to watch all of us and will take some of the pics. My husband would like to get off and snorkel with the fish...maybe....

Just wondered how they were. I won't leave my 8 y.o.s side no matter where we go nor if he is wearing a life jacket. My 13 y.o is as good of a swimmer if not better then myself. But I will still keep close tabs on him also.

No matter what it will be a trip of a lifetime. If nothing else I can always just swim with the mask and look at the beautiful fish.

I emailed Sharon to ask her a few of these questions, but I have had a really difficult time hearing back from her... :( Not spam as I recieved my reservation finally. Frustrating.

Chelle

Archived