Has anyone ever gone to the Jaguar Rescue Center?

cruisin zonies

Ok, so I've emailed YOur lucky tours, who has really good reviews on this site, as well as JJ, and they both quoted the same price for the JRC + Cahuita National Park. So, I'm looking for advice on who to book with. Has anyone toured with both that can offer a comparison? Any perks to booking with one over the other? I may start a new thread as well...

Alisha - Wow, they must just pull numbers out of the air then! JJ quoted me $75/pp w/lunch and YLT quoted me $40/pp + JRC admission, so $52/pp when you add that in plus we will pay for our own lunch. We are also only a group of 4, so if you have a larger group I know JJs prices decrease.

Good luck w/your decision!

I have reserved the tour with JJ, and he has asked that I place a $100 deposit to his brother's bank account in Costa Rica and pay the remainder in cash when we get there. Has anyone else been asked to do this? I am somewhat concern about being asked to wire money.

I have reserved JJ for our Jan. cruise and was not asked for any kind of deposit. There's a bit of a language barrier so hopefully my reservation is still firm!

We are doing both the sloth sanctuary and the JRC. I'm happy to hear they're in the same vicinity and that you actually got to hold a sloth at the JRC! We are huge animal lovers and are looking forward to this stop most of all.

I have reserved JJ for our Jan. cruise and was not asked for any kind of deposit. There's a bit of a language barrier so hopefully my reservation is still firm!

We are doing both the sloth sanctuary and the JRC. I'm happy to hear they're in the same vicinity and that you actually got to hold a sloth at the JRC! We are huge animal lovers and are looking forward to this stop most of all.

Notagoose, did you book a private tour, or an open tour? I am just wondering if he wants a deposit, because I want a private tour.

Alisha - Wow, they must just pull numbers out of the air then! JJ quoted me $75/pp w/lunch and YLT quoted me $40/pp + JRC admission, so $52/pp when you add that in plus we will pay for our own lunch. We are also only a group of 4, so if you have a larger group I know JJs prices decrease.

Good luck w/your decision!

Was that for JRC + Calhuita National Park? JJ quoted me $75 for both with lunch, including admission. It would be $65 w/out lunch. YLT quoted me $65 for both with admission fees, no lunch.

Now I'm really confused :confused:

Notagoose, did you book a private tour, or an open tour? I am just wondering if he wants a deposit, because I want a private tour.

It's for a private custom tour - only 2 of us so far, and no talk of a deposit.

Hi Everyone,

I've been in touch with Eduardo from YLT to put together a private tour out to JRC, the coffee plantation and then some shopping. He's been extremely easy to work with, very prompt and helpful. He's even called me a couple times to clarify some things. We're still kind of tweaking the itinerary but I believe his prices are either a little less or the same as what is quoted by JJ. There has been no talk of any kind of deposit or pre-payment.

In any case, I'm very pleased with his service and feel that I made a really good choice. I'll let you know how everything goes when we get back.

Wow..this looks great

I am just starting to research for the Carnival Freedom for next May

I know I don't really want the Sloth Center cause I hear you can not touch them and I def don't want Tortorga Canal cause I live in Florida and have been on many boat rides that look much like that and I probably want the boat ride to the Indians in Panama anyhow

the Jaguar Center sounds great...

I am not all that thrilled about Banana Plantation...

I am thinking maybe the Bananas OR the Coffee plantation..

which is more interesting?? I am not all that interested in watching

people pack bananas LOL

I think we would enjoy the restaurant, maybe the Park and Beach

also fruit stand I think they take you to ? and shop for Coffee

I travel with a group so we can probably get the tour guides to work with us

any and all suggestions appreciated

this looks like such an interesting place

thanks

Was that for JRC + Calhuita National Park? JJ quoted me $75 for both with lunch, including admission. It would be $65 w/out lunch. YLT quoted me $65 for both with admission fees, no lunch.

Now I'm really confused :confused:

Alisha - Yes, that is for JRC + CNP.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have contact JJ Tours again, and the deposit is not mandetory, so we will pay at the dock.

We just were out with him last week. Lots of fun, great tour. We had a group of six.

No deposit, paid him half at the end of the boat ride, other half when we returned to the ship. $US.

noocroozer-

I second your post. DH and I were one of the three couples on this tour. JJ couldn't have been nicer. He was very knowledgeable about everything. Met us promptly just outside the dock area and off we went. This was a combination tour, canal tour followed by the Jaguar Rescue Center. He did the canal first so we would have the best chance of seeing wildlife and we saw plenty. The ride to the center is at least 1 hour but he included a stop at a fruit stand for "samples" and a bathroom break. He helped these people start their stand and continues to support them by stopping there.

The center is WONDERFUL!!! Never thought I would hold a baby monkey!! After the center we stopped for a delightful lunch. I believe there is an earlier post on this thread with photos of the center and lunch.

It was raining so we voted to skip the walk in the park but we did stop at a banana plantation where JJ explained where "baby bananas come from". We were back to the ship in plenty of time to do some shopping at the dockside vendors.

You can't go wrong with JJ as your tour guide.

<<<Karen>>>

We did this tour with JJ's tours and it was the BEST tour that we did. We were on the Celebrity Equinox on Nov. 15,and loved this tour. It rained so hard at first we thought maybe we would have to cancel, but later cleared up, and we got to do everything. You need to request Armando Obando Sanchez, the young man that did our tour. He is excellent!!He is a naturalist guide and he really knows his stuff. He will talk for hours on the flora and fauna of Costa Rica and he loves his country.Be aware though that even though JJ states he will provide water,beer,etc. on the tour, he doesn't. Thankfully we had brought our own water bottles. The JRC was amazing although we were all attacked by fire ants. Have never had that happen before, and do not want to repeat that experience. The lunch was delicious, we would recommend JJ's to anyone. Especially with Armando.

We were with JJ on Nov 21 for a combined canal and JRC tour. JJ was our guide and was great!! Very knowledgeable and personable to boot. Would HIGHLY recommend him for your tours.

As far as water on the tour goes, JJ had a cooler with water in the van. He asked if anyone wanted some after the canal tour (done first so we would have the best chance to see wildlife) but no one did. It was a rainy cool day. On the way to the JRC we stopped at a fruit stand to sample some fruit. JJ told us he helped these people start their stand. They had nothing before but now they have a business and a decent place to live. He had us get some water from them, he paid. Felt it help them keep their business going. That's the kind of man he is. The world would be a better place if more people were like him.

My personal feelings. No "flaming", please.

<<<Karen>>>

• 3 weeks later...

We had water, beer, and sodas on our JJ tour in October 2010. Just confirm everything before you go and take an email copy with you no matter what tour operator you use.

One of the things I especially loved about this tour is that you can continue to stay in touch with the Jaguar Rescue Center through facebook. It is so cool seeing the animals "grow up" online since they post pictures of them regularly. The baby sloth we "held" on a furry mat is getting big! ( by the way, you don't really touch the sloths, it isn't good for them, but we were able to hold one on its little bed)

It is very hard to ship packages to Costa Rica (apparently) so I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Myenburg powdered goats milk to them. Our tour group of 21 people brought about a dozen cans of it. I brought 3 cans myself because I found it on amazon in a 3 pack for like $25 w free shipping. The JRC is constantly running low on powdered goat's milk and it is essential for the baby monkeys and sloths.

If you feel like doing something really good and you are heading down there and going to the Jaguar Rescue Center, please consider doing what we did and asking your roll call members to bring a can or two in their carry on and giving it to you to take to the JRC. It's a great way to give back, do something charitable, and support a good cause. I wish we would've brought them more now that I know how difficult it is to ship the milk to them.

We are DEFINITELY doing the JRC again next time we cruise to Central America. They are definitely growing up, too, just like their babies. Here is the latest video about the center for those of you considering this for your day in Costa Rica. Happy cruising!!!

I would REALLY like to do a tour of the Jaguar Rescue Center and also the Tortuguero Canal. Our ship will be in Limon on 1-25-11.

Can anyone tell me how to arrange this tour. Is JJ the only one who does it? How much does it cost? Is it possible to visit these two places on your own by just paying for a cab to take you there?

Thanks for any infor you can give me.

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine any of the tour operators will take you to JRC and the canal. Folks on this thread have said anywhere from $65-80/pp and that includes at least one other tourist stop, too, and some of those quotes include extras like lunch so compare carefully. You just need to ask them. All of the operators in Limon are easily found on this board. JJ, Your Lucky Tours, etc. I did not tour the canal so I can't speak for that.

I'm sure you could negotiate a rate to get to JRC and back by taxi. Like most ports, there are vendors there at the docks trying to drum up business. I'm pretty free spirited but I personally wouldn't recommend that route in this port. Our operator and driver had never heard of the JRC until I asked them to put a tour together for my group. So I would not be surprised if the average taxi driver in Limon had no idea where the JRC even was. Now since we just went a little over four months ago, I doubt much has changed yet. Now as the JRC gains more popularity I'm sure that will change but for now, my advice is to not take the chance. Just one cruiser's opinion, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived