Quebec/hilton/shopping pre-cruise help needed

We're staying @ Hilton 2 nights pre cruise before getting on Eurodam.

I am not at all familiar w/ Quebec & had no idea how big it is until I opened a map!

where should we go to shop for NON-MALL items. boutiques, handcrafted items.

I am geographically challenged so this should be interesting.

Please include: If there are any MUST DO IT in Quebec.

Can you tell I am overwhelmed?

thanks for any help

robyn

You are going to find lots of shops.

Stay inside the wall in both the upper and lower town. My favorite area is in the lower town on the street that runs from the funicular or the stairs. Just head for the unmissable Chateau Frontenac and wander around.

Go here and read the part under architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec,_Quebec

We're staying @ Hilton 2 nights pre cruise before getting on Eurodam.

I am not at all familiar w/ Quebec & had no idea how big it is until I opened a map!

where should we go to shop for NON-MALL items. boutiques, handcrafted items.

I am geographically challenged so this should be interesting.

Please include: If there are any MUST DO IT in Quebec.

Can you tell I am overwhelmed?

thanks for any help

robyn

Is there a particular reason you're staying at the Hilton? Nothing against the place (indeed, it's considered as one of the top hotels in the city), just that there are several very nice boutique-style hotels near the dock and Petit-Champlain, which is I think exactly the type of area you're looking for regarding shopping. The Hilton is just outside the city walls and is part of an office/mall complex called Place Québec, and walking distance from St-Jean Street.

You chose a nice hotel in a nice location. Ask for a room with a view of the old city. You will be across the street from the Parlement and an easy walk to the old city . 2 must see; the Chateau Frontenac hotel and terasse ( great view) and for restaurants , shopping and just for the beauty of it: ask for the Petit Champlain street. They are close by to each other. It is an easy area to get around and with a tourist map you will do great ( they will give you one at the hotel).Some good buys are art and furs, but is is a tourists area so prices are ...

If you like military history, the Citadelle fort is right by ( home of the Royal 22nd regiment).

For another must do it, try some french: Bonjour ( hello) and merci ( thank you) .

Bienvenue ( welcome ) to a beautiful city, a Unesco heritage city.

Archived