Book excursion in Ocho Rio's or not?

Talli

Hi Everyone!

First time cruiser here and first time posting on this board! So we are going to play our first two ports by ear and if we do any excursions just book when we get off the ship (Key West and Grand Cayman). Our last stop is Ocho Rio's and there are many things I want to do there but Carnival does not offer an excursion that will let me do my top things :( Soooo keeping safety in mind since I heard it's not the safest place with the high crime rate, should I pre-book a tour with a local tour operator or would it be safe/or even available to book tours right off the pier? Any suggestions? We want to do Dunn's Fall's, ziplining, possibly tubing and blue hole.

Thanks!

I have the same thoughts as you. This is our first time to Jamaica and after reading and hearing about safety issues from others, I decided to book a tour with one of the highly recommended guides mentioned on this board. We didn't want to walk around on our own, and the tour we booked is less expensive and a bit more comprehensive than the ship's excursion.

Yes we will definetily do Dunn's Fall's!!! Can't wait! We will probably book with a tour guide (not Carnival). But the real question was can you book excursion when you get off the ship right on the pier? Does anyone do this in Jamaica or just not safe?

Thanks!

We booked ahead with one of the reputable tour groups mentioned on this board and that's what I would recommend. It's a real madhouse when you get off the ship in Ocho Rios and I would not want to try to book a last-minute tour at that point. It's much better to have a tourguide waiting for you when you get off the ship so he can whisk you out of the crazy scene and onto a nice sightseeing trip.

Archived