Help appreciated with taxi customs in Barcelona and Naples

Hello Cruise Critic friends,

Wondering if you can help me with taxi customs in both Barcelona and Naples.

Our group of 4 travelers is planning to hail a taxi from the Barcelona Airport to our hotel - and split the cost. Is there a way to signal to a taxi that we need space for 4 people with 4 suitcases? Do you hold out a hand with 4 fingers?

"Yo hablo un poco espaniol" and can ask "Quanto questa para ir a Diputacion y Rambla Cataluna" Will a taxi driver in Barcelona give us a flat rate to our hotel or is it only by meter? Can you negotiate? We have seen that 25 euros is a standard rate.

Also, in Naples we are planning to take a taxi from the port to the Central Train station - no baggage, but again 4 passengers. Can you ask for a flat rate? We want to get to the train station as quickly as possible and have read that busses are unreliable.

We are going to Pompeii on our own, any information to help us get there would be so appreciated!

Thanks CC members! CC

From my experience, in Barcelona when you exit the terminal with your baggage you will head to a well defined taxi line. If it's early, there might not be many people in it, but through the morning, the line will grow fairly long. But it moves quickly. The taxi's are lined up and keep coming and going to service the line. I'm pretty certain when we were there last summer there was an attendant at the front of the line assisting with the coordination, but I could be wrong. Either way, when you're at the front of the line, holding up 4 fingers and pointing to your group should make it obvious you need to accommodate 4 people. There are various size taxis and it is pretty easy to get what you need. From my recollection, the taxis in Barcelona have always been on a meter. So make sure they turn it on. There may be additional add-on charges for number of bags, number of people, etc. So it's not just straight mileage. If you really need to identify the various charges, here's a website that has that info. http://www.taxibarcelona.cat/

In Naples, when you exit the ship you will likely be swarmed by taxi drivers as soon as you exit the terminal building. Again, in my own experience, they really want to talk you into letting them take you to Pompeii themselves. They are interested in the larger fare than just to take you to the train station. We had several walk away from us as we tried to find one to take us to the station. Finally one driver said he would take us. However, once we got in his car and underway, he started in on his sales pitch about how inexpensive it would be to take us to Pompeii and back. However, it was no way near as inexpensive as the train. So we held firm and firmly said "No, please take us to the Circumvesuviana station". He finally stopped talking, looked upset, and then took us to the station. Bottom line, you'll have to work for that taxi. I would fully document your Plan B of using the buses and/or walking just in case you can't convince a taxi to take you. Also, in Naples, I'm not sure I saw many larger taxis. You may not all fit in one car. I believe we paid a metered rate on the way to the station of about 10 Euro. On the way back, they told us up front it was 10 Euro for the short trip.

Like any other airport, in Barcelona you go to the taxi queue and the man or woman who manages it speaks English and will bring forth the proper taxi (probably a mini bus) for your party. It is VERY helpful to have the address of your hotel (or destination) printed off the internet to show your driver. Rates are by meter only.

This information will help you with Pompeii and navigating to Naples' Central Train Station. It is only a 25 minute walk. I'm not sure if you will be able to find taxis willing to take you there, but you can try.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

more details on getting to Pompeii from Naples train station:

http://www.igougo.com/story-s1364534-Rome-Exploring_Naples_Pompeii_and_Sorrento_on_Your_Own.html

Barcelona taxis

When you exit the terminal there is a taxi line. Some cabs are small but there are many cabs nearly the size of vans. Let people in front of you to get the small cabs and make sure you get one of the larger vans so that four people with luggage will fit.

Your hand signals to four people and the appropriate luggage will be understood just fine.

Taxis in Barcelona will only charge the metered fare. Pay what is on the meter, plus a small airport supplement, plus a small per bag charge that some drivers charge and others don't.

No need to tip the driver. If you do feel the urge to tip, just round up your fare to the next highest euro or two and that would be fine.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

• 3 months later...

Although we had read similar reviews regarding taxis in Naples, & we had planned to take the train & then a bus, we ended up going with a wonderful taxi driver named Giovanni with Napoli Taxi (giovannirotondotaxi@libero.it). He charged us 40 euros/person (there were 5 of us) & took us wherever we wanted to go for the full day. Started out at Mt. Vesuvius & got there just as they were opening & ahead of all the buses. We then went to Sorrento, with plenty of commentary & stops for photo ops on the way. He waited while we shopped & had lunch--we loved Sorrento. Then more commentary on the return trip to Naples, where he took us on a quick tour of the city, stopped at a beautiful church, took us to shops for specific items we were looking for which we would have never had time or opportunity to find on our own. He also offered to stop at Pompeii or take us to a music box factory. It was more than worth the cost, as we did not have to deal with the crowds, the train & bus connections, & also enjoyed more of the local flavor through our conversations with Giovanni.

Archived