Questions About Ferry to Baths - Pls Help

rsharma1033

Hi,

We will be in Tortola from 7-3:30pm on a Thursday. I see that the Ferry services that are mainly talked about on the board are Speedy and Smiths. I've gone through the messages several times but I'm sort of seeing cross-eyed now, so my questions may be a repeat (sorry).

How soon do you have to arrive to catch the ferry? To leave from Tortola to VG and vice versa? How close to one another is the Smiths and Speedy Ferry? (I'm asking in case you miss one, can you catch the other? - I guess you would have to pay more.)

I see that the times listed in Speedy's schedule that would work for me is 9am departing Tortola and 12:30pm departing Virgin Gorda.

And the schedule times that appear to work for us for Smiths is: departing Tortola at 8:50am and departing Virgin Gorda at 1pm (or the absolute latest 2:15pm).

I believe there will be only one ship (our ship) in port that day but am afraid what if it gets full, what if there's a traffic jam and we don't make that one ferry back?

Do you purchase your tickets in advance online or do you pay when you arrive there? Also I read on here that someone mentioned that it's a 15-20 minute walk from the port (Road Town) to the ferries - is this correct? If so, is it worth it for a cab? I'm travelling with a 2 and 5 year old and 4 adults.

The Egbert option sounds good although I don't like the idea of us having to get off and on in the water with our kids, stuff and older parents. Or do you think it would be ok? some posts say it depends also on how choppy the water is.

Thanks!

The walk from the cruise ships is more like 10 minutes and it is a pleasant and easy walk on the sidewalk. You will pass by the craft market and other street vendors. There were young children in our group and they were fine. Just make it a leisurely walk rather than a rush job.

I believe that the Speedy's and Smiths ticket counters are right next to one another (as are their ferries).

I only have experience with Speedys, and I saw people purchasing tickets on the ferry (in case you are running late). We purchased ours at the ticket counter just prior to boarding the ferry.

Upon waiting for the ferry back, we noticed that they were unable to fit everyone on board, who was waiting for the ferry back (one of your concerns). Speedy's ended up loading up a smaller ferry and used that one for the overflow. I was actually a little jealous because we were smashed in on the inside of the ferry. We saw the stragglers who were waiting behind us, sitting up top, in the sun on the other Speedy ferry. This second ferry docked within 3 minutes of the first.

So I can't speak for Smiths - but Speedy's definitely has back-up plans in place when a ferry is full.

Same as OP we also did Speedy's but saw Smiths right next to it.

We did 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM as well.

Took a cab from the ship to the ferry, it took only 5 minutes (a bit of traffic but not much), but didn't want to risk it, especially with our 23 month old.

We got to the ferry station about 8:50 and 10 minutes was enough to buy tickets (you buy them at the station, round trip) and get on the ferry. Ideally I would have allowed for a few more minutes, but we run a bit late.

On our way back we left the beach at 11:50, went up the steps to the top of the baths were cabs wait (10 minute walk), and were at the ferry terminal about 12:15, so we waited a bit for the ferry, but better safe than sorry.

On our way back we just walked from the ferry to the ship, and stopped at the souvenir market. I don't think it's more than a 10 minute walk, and we had time.

We also considered Egbert but decided to go with the ferry since it's a larger boat and much more stable in the water. If we'd have been alone (adults) maybe we would have gone with Egbert.

Archived