Just returned from Destiny May 3-8th

Lewis

I had a great trip, extremely relaxing....just as planned. We stopped at Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

Here's a few details.

Solo cruiser....5th cruise on Carnival.

I stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay the night before (short review on pre-cruise Florida Forum). I left my hotel at 11 a.m. and was on the Lido deck by 11:50 a.m.

I took a taxi over to the port for a total of $10 including tip.

I did not carry on any wine, water, pop, etc so getting through security was a breeze.

There was a very short line. I used the kiosk and picked up my sail and sign card in minutes. Within 10 mins general boarding was called and I was on my way on board.

Lunch on lido deck. Yes, it’s a buffet, there will be a line, but usually it was no longer than sitting down and being waited on.

I was in my room by 1:35 p.m. I bought a bottle of Barcadi rum from Bon Voyage prior to my cruise and it was in my room waiting for me.

I smuggled on rum runners in my checked suitcase, they made it on no problem. (The intent was just to see if I could) I put them in with my toiletries. My suitcase was unlocked. There was nothing else on the prohibited list in my bag.

I brought on six bottles of diet coke and six bottles of water. They were in a separate checked bag. I believe they were inspected because they were in plastic grocery bags inside the checked bag and the grocery bags were ripped open. Nothing was removed. The bag was delivered to my room with my suitcase.

I was in room 2102, a porthole room. It had two electrical outlets which were plenty to charge my computer, ipod, phone, use hair dryer, etc.

Dinner was in Galaxy dining room, late. I was seated at a table with two couples. While my dining companions were wonderful, I was a teeny bit disappointed I wasn’t seated with other solo cruisers. Food was good and service staff wonderful. I did order drink coupons and they were delivered during dinner on the first night.

In Grand Turk I hung out IN the Margaritaville pool from 9 – 1 pm, right across from the swim up bar. Great view of all the festivities. I had big plans of walking down the beach to Jack’s Shack but that didn’t happen…I was too comfy where I was.

In Half Moon Cay I caught a shuttle around noon and arrived just in time for lunch. Short wait for the tender but that was my choice as I wanted to sleep in and take my time going over. The bbq was good and afterwards I headed for the beach. I split my time between the lounger in the shade and the water….it was nice. I was between cabanas 11 and 13 and neither was rented that day. I headed back to the ship around 4 pm.

In Nassau I took the water taxi over to Paradise Island ($6 return and $1 tip each way for a total of $8) and walked around for a while. Afterwards I walked around downtown, checked out the straw market and was back on the ship around 3 pm.

General comments:

On board I ate pizza, buffet, sushi, ice cream, deli, room service breakfast and in the dining room. I didn’t have any of the Chinese food as it didn’t look very appetizing. I fell in love with the numerous salads on the buffet. Everything I ate was good. Of course I had the chocolate melting cake every night!!!

I went to the past cruisers event…free drinks and appetizers. I love the melon ball drinks so I was happy.

Formal night attire was interesting…everything from jeans to prom/bridesmaid dresses for the women and shorts to suits for the men. I LOVE to people watch and this was the night to do it!!

I didn’t go to any of the shows so I can’t comment on them.

I checked out the smokey piano lounge but the piano player wasn’t good enough to put up with the smoke.

I LOVED the movies on deck. It was fun to sit on deck at night watching Love Happens and Julie and Julia.

I ended up bringing back 1 rum runner, ¾’s of the Barcardi and half of the drink coupons.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip from start to finish.

If you have any questions, please ask away.

In general...

How was the food?

What was your favorite Dish?

Who was the Cruise Director?

Was there plenty of activities to do?

How was the weather in Half Moon Cay?

Would you say that a taxi to Atlantis was worth it?

How many other ships were in Nassau?

Where is this Jack's Shack in Grand Turk? I would love the directions

Was the beach busy in Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk?

Leaving in October, can't wait!

I was in room 2102, a porthole room. It had two electrical outlets which were plenty to charge my computer, ipod, phone, use hair dryer, etc.

Hi Lewis! Thanks for your review. You are the perfect person to answer my question about room 2102! My friend and I are going on the Destiny on 5/27. She has room 2101 and I have one across the hall! The ships goes to KW and Cozumel.

We have been really scared about the height of the waves hitting the portholes... I think it would freak me out if I looked out and saw the porthole covered with water!

How were the waves on your cruise? Any help would be appreciated...

Kathy

In general...

How was the food?

Overall the food was good. Again, I'm not hard to please but I'm not a push over either. I only ate dinner in the dining room and enjoyed it every night.

What was your favorite Dish?

No question....the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

Who was the Cruise Director?

Brent something or other. He seemed pretty good in my opinion.

Was there plenty of activities to do?

Yes, definitely. Art auctions, dance lessons, bingo, exercise classes, pool activities, mini golf, basketball court, pools, etc.

How was the weather in Half Moon Cay?

Hot, sunshine, no clouds to speak of. Perfect temp in the shade.

Would you say that a taxi to Atlantis was worth it?

Yes, I took the water taxi and it was definitely worth the experience. They had a guide who talked all the way there (10 mins) and all the way back giving a short overview of the island and some of the houses that you pass. Great photo opp for the ship. I walked around the Atlantis complex for a little bit. You can also access the public beach but I didn't.

How many other ships were in Nassau?

Two others. Disney and I think the Inspiration.

Where is this Jack's Shack in Grand Turk? I would love the directions.

I believe you turn left onto the beach and follow it down to Jack's Shack..they're right on the beach...looks like about a 10 min walk. You can see it from the ship. They're right behind a dive shop..just look for the dive flag. Check out the Grand Turk Forum as there's lot's of information there about Jack's Shack.

Was the beach busy in Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk?

Again, my opinion....no. Half Moon Cay we were the only ship there. I walked down the beach about 5 mins and had lots of choices for loungers in shade. In Grand Turk we were the only ship in port and Margaritaville was busier than the beach. There were people on the beach and in the water but it was not crowded. If you're going to Jack's shack it would even less crowded as you're away from the cruise pier.

Leaving in October, can't wait!

You will have so much fun whatever you decide to do or not do!!!!!!

thanx for the review:)

any problems w/late start on HMC finding spot in the shade?

None at all. I walked down the beach about 5 mins and ended up between 11 and 13 cabanas and had my choice of shady spots. Even if you're later you would just have to walk a little further and there were still lots of spots available.

Some people rented the clam shells but I don't think one is necessary. They don't move them so you're back from the water close to the shady areas anyway. Plus you need to raise the back up to get a breeze. Not worth the $17 rental.

I went to the past cruisers event…free drinks and appetizers. I love the melon ball drinks so I was happy.

I have never heard of this but it is only my second cruise...can you tell me more. I am always up for free drinks...lol

The invitation will be in your room one night after dinner. It's held around 5:15 p.m. and it's only 45 mins long. It's in the Palladium theatre. The wait staff will come around with trays of drinks (screwdrivers, melon balls, other fruity drinks, red or white wine) and trays of appetizers. My first time I tried a few different ones and this is how I found out I liked melon balls. There will be lots of wait staff so lots of drinks and nibbles.

There is a band playing and then the cruise director will get up and speak for a few minutes thanking everyone for chosing Carnival again.

I think it's nice, they don't have to do this and I for one appreciate the gesture.

Hi Lewis! Thanks for your review. You are the perfect person to answer my question about room 2102! My friend and I are going on the Destiny on 5/27. She has room 2101 and I have one across the hall! The ships goes to KW and Cozumel.

We have been really scared about the height of the waves hitting the portholes... I think it would freak me out if I looked out and saw the porthole covered with water!

How were the waves on your cruise? Any help would be appreciated...

Kathy

Kathy, I've stayed in 2102 three times now and have had no problem with waves getting any where near the port holes. Even though its deck 2 its still pretty high up there so the waves would have to be really huge to hit the port holes. Plus it's not right at the very front of the ship. There's an employees only section in front of the 2102 so you're still back a bit from any waves.

Hope this helps.

Linda (aka Lewis)

Was there a 'farewell party' on the last night (more free drinks!) - did you go?

There was a sail away party on the last night. I think it was around 4:30. I was too busy up on deck watching the stragglers come on board. We were to be back on board by 4:30 but people were still strolling down the pier at 5:00 p.m. They finally lifted the final gangway at 5:05.

I would have been way too scared to be a minute past 4:30.

There was a sail away party on the last night. I think it was around 4:30. I was too busy up on deck watching the stragglers come on board. We were to be back on board by 4:30 but people were still strolling down the pier at 5:00 p.m. They finally lifted the final gangway at 5:05.

I would have been way too scared to be a minute past 4:30.

No - not talking about a sailaway party - but there is a 'farewell party' for the guests to thank them for cruising Carnival - last night - 5-6 pm in one of the lounges w/music and free drinks! Just wondering if you attended? (should be listed in the Capers/Fun Times)

The invitation will be in your room one night after dinner. It's held around 5:15 p.m. and it's only 45 mins long. It's in the Palladium theatre. The wait staff will come around with trays of drinks (screwdrivers, melon balls, other fruity drinks, red or white wine) and trays of appetizers. My first time I tried a few different ones and this is how I found out I liked melon balls. There will be lots of wait staff so lots of drinks and nibbles.

There is a band playing and then the cruise director will get up and speak for a few minutes thanking everyone for chosing Carnival again.

I think it's nice, they don't have to do this and I for one appreciate the gesture.

Do you know which nite it was? is it for you and a guest, or just the 1 person that was the past guest?

Thanks!

Do you know which nite it was? is it for you and a guest, or just the 1 person that was the past guest?

Thanks!

Each 'past guest party' time/location may be different on each cruise (depending on itinerary, other events and number of past guests). Typically ONLY the past guest will get an invitation but many do bring someone along - or ask at the Purser's desk if allowed. (You hand in your invitation at the door as you enter).

Each 'past guest party' time/location may be different on each cruise (depending on itinerary, other events and number of past guests). Typically ONLY the past guest will get an invitation but many do bring someone along - or ask at the Purser's desk if allowed. (You hand in your invitation at the door as you enter).

Ok..thanks!

Archived