Cruise - Do the cruise SCUBA or local SCUBA?

LakeMountD

I noticed there were quite a few companies offering SCUBA shore excursions in Georgetown that were the same price but said there were fewer people (8) on each trip than the cruise-run versions.

Just curious if anyone has any input about this, I would love to have a good time SCUBA diving but don't want to pay for the cruise version if it is one of those hokey, stay with a group of 50, and only get to dive for 20 minutes type of excursions.

Thanks for the input!

Just to be clear, you are asking about certified diving, right?

If you go with the ship's excursion, you won't dive with a group larger than 8. If the group is larger, the OP will divide the group so each DM has no more than 8 divers following. And it will be a follow the leader dive of predetermined bottom time.

If you're an advanced dive who is good on air and wants to dive his computer, you will probably prefer going with a private operator. If you are a once-a-year kind of diver, then for the same price, the ship's excursion isn't a bad choice.

Just to be clear, you are asking about certified diving, right?

If you go with the ship's excursion, you won't dive with a group larger than 8. If the group is larger, the OP will divide the group so each DM has no more than 8 divers following. And it will be a follow the leader dive of predetermined bottom time.

If you're an advanced dive who is good on air and wants to dive his computer, you will probably prefer going with a private operator. If you are a once-a-year kind of diver, then for the same price, the ship's excursion isn't a bad choice.

Thanks for the information, I am certified yes, but it has been a while since I have dived last. I will take your advice though and go through the cruise line's excursion. Here is what it says:

" A two tank boat dive beginning with one of Cayman's world class reefs, followed by a second location allowing the diver to discover why Cayman is rated as one of the best dives sites in the world. This is limited to certified divers who have been on a dive within the last two years. You will be required to present proof of certification. Note: Tank and weights are included for all divers. Equipment package includes regulator, B.C., mask, fins, and snorkel. Wetsuit is not included.

To experience the ultimate in Cayman diving, your first dive will be along the famous Cayman Wall, where you will see huge coral formations and vivid marine life. Your second dive will be on a coral reef or one of the shipwrecks along Seven Mile Beach. At either spot, you'll enjoy crystal-clear water and colorful fish. This is an experience certified divers won't want to miss. This is limited to certified divers who have been on a dive within the last two years. Certified divers must present a valid certification "C" card in order to participate. This tour is only offered on certain ships."

• 1 month later...

Another point in favor of the cruise line excursion is the amount of time in port. A lot of GC stops are very short, so you want to be with a cruise-line excursion to ensure you are not left behind.

I do very few cruise-line excursions, but diving on a cruise trip in GC, I think it's the best way to go.

Archived