Vancouver Terminal (Oosterdam)

Cindykw

You also have to lay some blame on the heads of the good old US Government that requires all passengers sailing from a Canadian port to a US port pre-clear US immigration and customs prior to boarding. This is where 90% of the hold ups occur, since there are often nowhere enough officers to deal with the number of passengers - the port has no control over this! What the cruise lines and port have done is work with the authorities to get the US Direct program in place (begins June 5th this season I believe) where people flying directly from the US can do all the pre-clearance at the airport and avoid all the line ups. Remember that you really can't compare Vancouver to a US or European port, since disembarking from either of these continents rarely requires entry to another country at your first port, as is the case when you take a trip from Vancouver to Alaska, for example.

I would say lay the blame on all those that do not care that the cruise line will say boarding time is (Princess normally says 1PM) on Holland we were told 2PM. The cruise lines are under no obligation to start boarding before they say they will. If you go early you have only yourself to blame. If anyone has a handicap and cannot stand or wait for long periods, they should not go early and expect special treatment. So even though they may board early, they don't have to.

Yes, I have tried it and it works great. The caveat is that you must be able to handle your own luggage and have reasonable mobilty. The walk between Canada Place and Waterfront Station is about 8 mins or so and from the train to the check in counters at YVR is about 5 mins. There are lots of escalators and elevators at both locations and everything is well signed. The Canada Line has been so successful that it has put a real dent in the taxi business, a cabbie told me that he no longer waits for a fare at YVR and returns to the city empty as the wait for a return fare can run up to two hours.....his business has been cut in half.

I am sorry you had this experience. We disembarked in Vancouver last week and had just the opposite experience. There were three ships in and the process was about the best organized disembarkation we have ever had! I think that, unfortunately, you hit a rare and problem-filled day.

I am sorry you had this experience. We disembarked in Vancouver last week and had just the opposite experience. There were three ships in and the process was about the best organized disembarkation we have ever had! I think that, unfortunately, you hit a rare and problem-filled day.

Dunelm ..you have just made mine :) Thanks for posting,, what you described is the terminal I loved and remembered So hope we have a similar experience this Sept.

The lunch buffet was very disorganized. The food was good. Princess has the same thing but you serve yourself and everything flows smoothly.
Then I wouldn't like the Princess buffet. IMO, the fewer number of hands touching the serving utensils the better!

DH and DBIL left Fairmont Vancouver in a limo; were driven into Canada Place to the stevedores; handed over the luggage, along with a box of our favourite wine; and voila, we were on our way, no delays, here. DD and I walked to CP from Fairmont Vancouver, and actually did some shopping at Tiffany's ( birthday for DD ). I'm not certain if this is the norm; but we had no complaints, from embarkation to disembarkation from the Volendam, Sept.09. Side note: DH has a very determined need to be critical; so if he was satisfied; the case for complaint can be ended here.

Archived