Two-Way Radios and the UK

Sabra

Hello People from the UK!

Looking for information regarding taking two-way radios to the UK. I'm wanting specifically to use them on ship, if they work on ship but I thought I read somewhere about this type of equipment being banned or something like that in the UK. We'll be moving to the UK so don't want to start off on the wrong side of the law!! Should we return them or keep them? Hoped to use them on our transatlantic crossing to our new home in August but customs might take them away??

Thanks for any information regarding this matter.

Linda

The following is cut from this web site: http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrsfaqa.html. Bottom line, the FRS/GMRS frequencies that we use can interfere with the frequency allotment in other countries. That means you could interfere with lifesaving or other public service radios if you use them in other countries. You are even required to buy a license to use the GMRS bands in the U. S.

May I use my FRS radios in Canada, Mexico, the UK or any other country?

As of April 2, 2000 Canada has approved a similar FRS service on the same frequencies used in the United States. You may indeed use your American FRS radio in Canada.

bl_ball.gifNo! Read the FRS rules! Use of radio frequencies in one country can be very different in another. Canada does not have an equivalent family radio service. Use of these radios in Canada could attract the attention of Canadian law enforcement. There is active frequency coordination between the U.S. and Canada to make sure a radio service in one country does not interfere with the radio service of another near particularly at the border. Some GMRS licensees are restricted from using their two-way radios within a certain distance of the Canadian border. U.S. citizens must respect the sovereign right of another country to regulate radio communication in their domain. When you go to Canada put your FRS portables away. Do not use them. This also goes for Mexico or any other place in the world where the FCC is not the regulatory agency for radio communication. The rules say that if the FCC regulates radio communication where you intend to operate then operation of the radio is legal. You assume great personal risk operating radio transmitting devices in another country without permission. Does the word prison mean anything to you? ;-)

Now there have been exceptions. We have had reports that persons have indeed obtained permission to use U.S, FRS radios in South America. Disney Cruise Lines sells FRS radios on their boats and U.S. tourists use the radios in the Bahamas. You need to be the one making the decision. Are you willing to take a chance?

The following is an excerpt from the FCC website

Operations

You may operate your FRS unit within the territorial limits of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia, and the Caribbean and Pacific Insular areas ("U.S."). You may also operate your FRS unit on or over any other area of the world, except within the territorial limits of areas where radio- communications are regulated by another agency of the U.S. or within the territorial limits of any foreign government.

Bottom line, you have to make your own decision, it is NOT legal to operate FRS/GMRS radios in other countries.

Thanks for the info Herb. I think I'll take them back. It's a bit of a shame because I'm blind and it would allow DH and I to be apart more on the ship than we are currently. Not only that, we are from Canada and will be returning to Canada in about three years or so. Thanks again.

I didn't think I'd get a response because I think I put this question in the wrong place and didn't know where to put it. Take care.

Linda

Thanks for the info Herb. I think I'll take them back. It's a bit of a shame because I'm blind and it would allow DH and I to be apart more on the ship than we are currently. Not only that, we are from Canada and will be returning to Canada in about three years or so. Thanks again.

I didn't think I'd get a response because I think I put this question in the wrong place and didn't know where to put it. Take care.

Linda

I'm glad that I saw your post, most of the time these type questions are in the "Ask a cruise question" title. Good luck, hoepfully there is another fix you can use.

Archived