Cruise in Brazil vs. Puerto Rico

Analicia419

I am looking for some insight from some of you more seasoned cruisers. We want to take my mom on a cruise for her 60th birthday and she wants to do a cruise from Brazil. I was researching it and it seems kind of dangerous so I was thinking about trying to talk her into Puerto Rico. Does anyone have any knowlege of either areas. Thanks for all the help.

I am looking for some insight from some of you more seasoned cruisers. We want to take my mom on a cruise for her 60th birthday and she wants to do a cruise from Brazil. I was researching it and it seems kind of dangerous so I was thinking about trying to talk her into Puerto Rico. Does anyone have any knowlege of either areas. Thanks for all the help.

Brazil isn't all that dangerous if you stick to the tourist and business areas. I don't think you'd be going to hang out in the rougher neighborhoods of Sao Paolo, would you? If you can do it, I'd say do it. But that's just me.

I guess I'm just a little nervous to fly into Brazil since you hear a lot about the crime there. Also, not speaking portugeese could be a problem. I would love to go to Brazil, I just worry as it is just us 3 women traveling together.

If it's not something that would be comfortable for your group, then don't do it. Other than for the rare repositioning cruise, Carnival has no ships in Brazil. What line are you thinking of cruising? Maybe you should post on their board to get more info from people that have done the cruise you want.

I just spent Carnival (Mardi Gras) in Rio De Janeiro. Crime really isn't a problem in the tourist areas any more than any other big city. Language can be a bit of an issue, any Spanish you may know will help some. The beaches and sights are amazing, but get ready for your idea of personal space being about 3x what is common there; with so many people, it's just the way it is.

I'd go back any time.

Credit card fraud is a problem, I travel internationally quite a bit, and Brazil is the only place that my ATM card cut me off for just attempting one transaction. I was able to call the bank thanks to the time difference and get it worked out, but most of the machines use the enhanced security cards like in the UK, and regular magnetic stripe cards are more difficult to use outside of a bank. So I'd get any cash you may need at the airport before you leave for Brazil, then use charge cards/cash for purchases vs. trying to get cash in Brazil. Extra USD can be exchanged in many places though.

If mom wants to go to Brazil, I'd take her, especially if it's on a cruise.

You can go with the ship's excursions so that you are not alone.

One thing I learned when my dad died when I was 27 is that you don't want to have any regrets. It may seem like something that you might not enjoy, but she most likely will love it.

If she wants to go, she'll always be thankful that you took her.

Besides, Brazil and Puerto Rico are so diffferent from each other (culturally). Was Puerto Rico some place that she also wanted to go?

Just my thoughts :)

Archived