First time cruiser HELP!

Hey everyone! I am going on my first cruise for my 21st Birthday the first week in July. We are going to Progresso and Cozumel-does anyone have any suggestions on what to do at the ports..I was wanting something very fun and exciting, possibly something other than the ruins in Progresso! I would love to swim or snorkel, I can find plenty of things in Cozumel, but having a harder time finding something exciting in Progresso!

Welcome to CC. Progreso is a wonderful little town, still very much old Mexico in many ways. It is also a good place to visit several ruins from. DZ is the closest.

If you decide to spend the day in Progreso the beach is only a couple of short blocks from where the bus from the ship will let you off. Progreso is on the gulf side so the water is not the crystal clear that you might be hoping for. Don't let that stop you from taking dip. It is clean and feels so good after a hot day of sightseeing. All along the beach front you will find many beach bars and pretty good places to eat. Especially if you like fresh sea food. Beer and margaritas are inexpensive and cold.

Merida is the oldest colonial city in the Yucatan, has almost a million people and still maintains that old world colonial charm. Merida the capital of the state is a short $3 bus ride away. Eveyone that goes to Progreso owes it to themselves to visit Merida at least once. Most will want to go back for a second longer visit.

Basically Progreso is not like all the rest of the glitzy, neon infused towns that you find at most cruise ship stops. You find none of the samo samo tourist traps, chain restaurants or bars that you find at every tourist trap town in the Caribbean. Exciting, not so much. It is a place to relax, kick back, people watch, eat and drink. Give it an even chance and you might just find your little piece of paradise. (I am not affialited with the Progreso/Merida Chamber of Commerce, yet).

• 4 weeks later...

Traveler...it sounds like you have the inside scoop!

My question is this...where do you find the $3 buses to take you into Merida? Are they right off the port?

We are doing our first cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy on July 5th, and we have the Cozumel stop taken care of (Helllo Paradise Beach!) but the stop in Progreso seems to be the perfect place to head into Merida.

My fear is getting into the town...then back to the port!

Lastly, what I understand is the walkway (I am not sure what the right Cruise Lingo is!) is 4 miles long when the ship docks? Do the buses/taxis pick you up right at the ship?

Thanks for your knowledge, I am just trying to fill my head with helpful hints and the CC boards are great for that! :)

The bus terminal is only two or three blocks from where the courtesy bus will drop you. Ask directions. It's $3.00 ROUND TRIP. Modern airconditioned busses that run every 15 to 20 minutes. The pier is 4.5 miles long because the Yucatan state sits on a limestone shelf and the water is too shallow until you get pretty far out. It is a major freight port.

CAUTION: Cruising can be addictive.

Keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com, and excellent visitor's guide.

I have been looking at yucantantoday.com...it sounds like a fascinating place to visit, even though, some people have been 'down' on it!

Thanks for the information...but one last question, there is a Carnival 'sponsored' courtesy bus that will drop us off at the end of the port?

Lastly..I have been digging around -- is there a map of the area right by the port?

Thanks again!

and...PS... I am hoping that Crusing *IS* addictive!

aacarter. After two port calls I've now been back for three 2 wk vacations to Merida and the area. Keep reading as some have posted some good maps plus Yucatantoday.com has good maps.

• 2 weeks later...

aacarter - the shuttle bus from the ship, down the long pier to Progreso, is fre and runs every 30 minutes. It drops you off at the Casa de Cultura and from there you can walk to the bus terminal, walk to the beach, get a massage, etc etc etc.

For a cute little map that one of the cruisers actually made, look at the "$15 massage" post on this board. It's actually pretty good!

Happy planning! :)

I have been looking at yucantantoday.com...it sounds like a fascinating place to visit, even though, some people have been 'down' on it!

Thanks for the information...but one last question, there is a Carnival 'sponsored' courtesy bus that will drop us off at the end of the port?

Lastly..I have been digging around -- is there a map of the area right by the port?

Thanks again!

and...PS... I am hoping that Crusing *IS* addictive!

Archived