Cruise port in Corpus Christi, Texas????

browneyes7

My cousin, who lived in Ingleside for years, just told me not to get my hopes up for a cruise ship in Ingleside. She says they have been talking about the possibility of a cruise ship coming to Ingleside for years, and it still hasn't happened!:( I can keep wishing, though!:)

Wow, just found this thread...... I am a Corpus Christi native and currently live on the island (North Padre Island). I went to school with Todd Hunter and his wife Alexis....... he's Republican - but that can be overlooked ;)

He is definately on a one-man campaign to try and get a cruiseline to utilize our port facilities here. As posted before, he has been holding meetings and all have been well attended.

Many people think that Corpus Christi is a logical place to base a cruiseline..... deep port, easy access to Gulf, CLOSER to many ports of call thereby saving precious ship fuel...... and I have cruised out of quite a few ports that share the area with large non-cruise vessels. Our port is a major part of our economy here (my dad was a merchant marine) but there is room for other ventures.

Now, as far as Corpus offering things to do (say over Houston) many have already been stated but there are others..... fishing has really been taking off here as a tourist destination (especially with oil spill mess further up the Gulf) with tons of Louisianna, Alabama and Mississippi plates showing up on cars here..... we see them alot on the island which is where people want to be. There are those tho (the older demographics) who just want a nice hotel with a view of the water (which we have - Corpus has a beautiful bay with marina etc) and arent interested in "things to do". For those wanting a head start on their beach time.....we have, as posted before "wild open ones" galore.

I can see, if it does happen, that Corpus would be chosen over Brownsville/Port Isabel area if for no other reason than the situation with the serious crime along the border towns. We used to visit Mexico regularly (I love to shop) but have not gone in some time as it is just too volatile now.

I for one, would like to see this happen, I think the cruiselines should take a good hard look at this..... but only time will tell.

Wow, just found this thread...... I am a Corpus Christi native and currently live on the island (North Padre Island). I went to school with Todd Hunter and his wife Alexis....... he's Republican - but that can be overlooked ;)

He is definately on a one-man campaign to try and get a cruiseline to utilize our port facilities here. As posted before, he has been holding meetings and all have been well attended.

Many people think that Corpus Christi is a logical place to base a cruiseline..... deep port, easy access to Gulf, CLOSER to many ports of call thereby saving precious ship fuel...... and I have cruised out of quite a few ports that share the area with large non-cruise vessels. Our port is a major part of our economy here (my dad was a merchant marine) but there is room for other ventures.

Now, as far as Corpus offering things to do (say over Houston) many have already been stated but there are others..... fishing has really been taking off here as a tourist destination (especially with oil spill mess further up the Gulf) with tons of Louisianna, Alabama and Mississippi plates showing up on cars here..... we see them alot on the island which is where people want to be. There are those tho (the older demographics) who just want a nice hotel with a view of the water (which we have - Corpus has a beautiful bay with marina etc) and arent interested in "things to do". For those wanting a head start on their beach time.....we have, as posted before "wild open ones" galore.

I can see, if it does happen, that Corpus would be chosen over Brownsville/Port Isabel area if for no other reason than the situation with the serious crime along the border towns. We used to visit Mexico regularly (I love to shop) but have not gone in some time as it is just too volatile now.

I for one, would like to see this happen, I think the cruiselines should take a good hard look at this..... but only time will tell.

I think you have stated some really good reasons to put a port in the Corpus area. I, too, really hope it happens. :)

Archived