walietalkies

Hey!!! I grew up in Brooklyn.

We just use our BIG MOUTHS to find each other!!!

<a href="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=290103261">

RCCL Serenade 1.15.05 <font size=1>--->CLICK for our Roll Call!</font size></a>

CCL Inspiration 3.7.2004

RCCL Adventure 7.6.2003

CCL Destiny 6.30.2002

CCL Imagination 1.16.1999

CCL Fascination 3.17.1998

They work, but the range is no where near the several miles stated. It is a steel ship, and radio does not work well thru steel decks. Any brand will do, they are all the same. I recommend that you get ones with the "privacy codes", which give you more quiet channels to choose from.

Join our Navigator Nov 13 roll call

We meet in..

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dont get them. They are the most unneeded and obnoxious device ever brought onto a cruise ship. They dont work between decks and you spend your time pissing off everyone around you because you are screaming into them to someone who cant hear you. They interrupt dinner...they interrupt shows.

I agree with Mr Nobody. We brought good walkie talkies with on our last cruise and they were 1) next to useless, and 2) an annoyance to me, and 3) an annoyance to everyone I was around.

1. Even if you get the ones with multiple channels the things have become so popular on many cruises that finding an unused channel is very hard. I found it impossible. But I also didn't wanat to spend an hour a day on vacation tinkering with my walkie talkies. I had better things to do icon_wink.gif

Even though I had high-end walkie talkies they couldn't make it through decks and decks of steel very well. When I finally *was* talking with someone I intended to talk with, the conversation was worse than on a cell phone in terms of losing the signal, picking up every third word, etc.

2. I would get beeped when in the most interesting conversations with fellow cruisers. Stopped the conversation dead, annoyed me and the folks I was having a chat with. Most of the beeps were for other people. Time to change channels again...

3. Lots of folks take vacations to get away from their gadgets. I have a pager and cell phone I have to carry most of every day for work. Many people need to these days. A vaction for me - and them - means getting away from beeps, chirps and bad electronic music coming from the waist...

Arranging to meet people usually works pretty well. If you need constant re-arranging of plans you aren't *really* on vacation (in my humble opinion!)...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;9;24;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 [/img]

9/24/04 RCL Voyager NY<-->Carib

9/03 NCL Dawn NY<-->Bahamas

1967 Oceanic NY<-->Bahamas

We have used ours for several years. I get up around 5 AM and go up to the lido deck for coffee and visit with other early risers. When my wife wakes up and is ready for breakfast she calls me and I go back to the cabin. They work fine thru several decks and there are enough sub channels so we never have a problem.

CELEBRATION 11/00

RHAPSODY 11/01

RHAPSODY 04/02

SPLENDOUR 11/02

RHAPSODY 04/03

RHAPSODY 09/03

ELATION 05/04

I plan on bringing them for our shore excursions. Most of the time I anticipate being in the range of the other walkie talkie. You never know when you need your spouses' opinion on an island purchase. icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 to get me on the ADVENTURE OF THE SEA

Roll call AOS 6/06/04 click here

Roll call for Majesty 09/06/04 click here

Roll call for Spirit of Chicago cruise to nowhere 7/24/04 click here

We rented them on our last cruise on voyager. we have a 7 yr old. they were absolutely fabulous and a necessity. it was very easy for us to communicate with her and her friends from one end of the ship to the other. the only place we had some problems was within the windjammer cafe. other than that, they were fine. i think the key here is actually renting them from the ship. at least the ship knows which ones work. we were also with another family who brought very expensive ones that didn't work as well as our. once again, i believe renting from the ship is the way to go. if you have kids, they are invaluable.

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto mrnobody!

dkort: You turned a 7 year old lose on the ship without adult supevision? icon_confused.gif

I find the walkie-talkies to be annoying. I really enjoy sitting by the pool and listening to someone shout into a walkie-talkie..."where are you....we're here". Its best to pick a meeting time and place.

thadventure-ZDsc20077.jpg

<MARQUEE>RCL Adventure of the Seas July 4, 2004 </MARQUEE>

Till we leave :

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;4;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Carnival Destiny 7/01

Carnival Pride 7/02

pistons_65.gif NBA Championship 2004!

Win Pistons 4 Bucks 1 On to round 2

Win Pistons 4 Nets 3 On to round 3

Win Pistons 4 Pacers 2 Eastern Conference Champs! On to the Finals.

Win Pistons 4 Lakers 1

2004 NBA CHAMPS!

I think you should bring them.

Make sure they are the ones with the 38 sub channels so you can find a clear channel.

They are fine as long as you respect other people (That is why a lot of people on here are against them). Turn them OFF at dinner and during shows!, Otherwise, they make a great communication tool!

They are cheaper to buy then rent (I E You can get a good pair (Motorola) for 29.99 on sale with charger)

Also remember, the range is in a clear field with no trees, you are going to be transmitting thru tons of steel, so your range will be a lot less.

1/01 NCL Majesty

1/02 NCL Majesty

1/03 RCCL Brilliance of the Seas

3/03 Carnival Jubilee

8/03 RCCL Navigator Of the Seas

1/04 RCCL Adventure of the Seas

3/04 RCCL Radiance of the Seas

8/15/04 Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;8;15;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

14 DAY LEGEND OF THE SEAS PANAMA CANAL CRUISE (12/26/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

3/12/05 SPRING BREAK on the GRAND PRINCESS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;12;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7 DAY WESTERN ON THE EXPLORER (5/22/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

we used ours on Voyager last august and they worked just fine (on board and on shore). They were great for tracking down the kids and DH. I will definitely bring them on all future cruises.

Diane

Explorer of the Sea 12/5/04

Legend of the Sea 9/12/04

Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03

Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

We just got off the Mariner and saw quite a few people with walkie-talkies. Overall they weren't too obnoxious except for the woman who was talking to her child during bingo one day. Kudos to the staff member at the mike who mentioned how loud and obnoxious she was being (in a PC way, of course). We took our walkie talkies along but didn't use them at all--found that just leaving messages on the telephone voice mail system worked better and was less of a hassle than toting walkie talkies around. Our kids had one cabin and we had another--overall we were pretty good about remembering to use the many phones on the ship when we 'moved locations.'

I'm with the poster who said they wouldn't let a 7 year old roam the ship alone. My daughter's 12 and she knew never to go anywhere by herself--she either went with her brother or a friend. Too many weirdos in this world to be that trusting...sadly.

We brought our walkie-talkies on our last cruise, but gave up using them after only 10 minutes. There are many other passengers with walkie-talkies so you end up receiving other people's pages and messages. Unless you use the real fancy ones with lots of subchannels, I wouldn't recommend bringing them.

I like hearing someone screaming at their spouse " Where the h*** have you been. I've spent two hours looking all over the ship for you." icon_mad.gif I also enjoy looking all over the ship for a couple of hours looking for my own DW icon_rolleyes.gif I've never seen anyone, on a ship, be obnoxious that did not have a walkie-talkie. I also enjoy my DW not being able to find me so I can have some time to my self. icon_biggrin.gif If you have a child that has one you always know where they are and that's just wrong! If we're on shore and we lose track of each other well that's her problem, she knows where the ship is.

OK, flame away.

Rick R.

Here are the some facts.

For such a large group they are invaluable. You must get at least the 5 mile kind. They work fine on a Voyager class ships with only a very few dead spots. We were on a full Navigator sailing and we had no problem finding an unused channel/code. Get the ones with the 99 codes and additional channels. Get the ones with rechargable batteries.

Some rules so you don't get the anti radio crowd on board upset.

1)Get the vibrate type and use it.

2)Turn off the chirp at all times.

3)Do not use the call signal.

4)Keep the volume down.

5)DO NOT let the kids use them as toys.

6)Remember you don't have to yell into them.

7)Be considerate of others.

......and to anticipate the negative people, number 8 is not "leave them home".

For specific comments about use on our Family Reunion cruise see the link below to our review.

Enjoy!!!!!

Carnival Ecstasy, March 1993

Celebrity Millennium, Caribbean, Jan 2002

Coral Princess, Panama Canal Feb. 2, 2003 (Review)

Celebrity Summit, Alaska Land (Land Tour Review) & Sea (Cruise Review), Aug. 15,2003

Navigator of the Seas, Family Reunion, March 13, 2004

(Review)

Celebrity Infinity, Valparaiso(Santiago), Chile to Fort Lauderdale, via Panama Canal, Feb. 27, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1)Get the vibrate type and jump on its guts!

2)Turn off (and chuck into ocean)

3)Do not use.

4)Keep the volume *OFF*

5)DO NOT let the kids use them as toys.(agreed)

6)Remember you don't have to yell into them.(agreed)

7)Be considerate of others.(agreed)

......and to anticipate the positive people, number 8 is to "leave them home".

Slightly re-written by myself.

(in -jest) icon_wink.gif

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas #1554 Grande Suite

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mike,just bring them. This is one of those topics like what to wear for dinner that some people are overly passionate about. Noone got upset with us except maybe those who would get upset with just seeing us carrying them, even if we never used them. They were invaluable. When you go with a few people they are not a must but with a large group they help a lot.

Carnival Ecstasy, March 1993

Celebrity Millennium, Caribbean, Jan 2002

Coral Princess, Panama Canal Feb. 2, 2003 (Review)

Celebrity Summit, Alaska Land (Land Tour Review) & Sea (Cruise Review), Aug. 15,2003

Navigator of the Seas, Family Reunion, March 13, 2004

(Review)

Celebrity Infinity, Valparaiso(Santiago), Chile to Fort Lauderdale, via Panama Canal, Feb. 27, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

What did everyone do before walkie talkies were around...It is a family vacation. Stay together and be a family. Leave the walkie talkies at home, JMHO... icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Jewel of The Seas<BR

Sensation 3/99

Majesty of The Seas 12/03

We're bringing ours, but not for use on the ship. We're bringing them so if we get separated while in port we can try to find each other.

Sovereign of the Seas, 2/27/2003

Celebrating my husband's 30th birthday on the Mariner of the Seas, 9/5/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 'til the Mariner!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived