St. Maarten and St. thomas

We will be cruising for the first time in about a month and I would like information about excursions. I have read that Magen's Bay in St. Thomas and Orient Beach in St. Maarten are nice. I will be with my 20 year old children and was wondering what type of water sports are at these beaches. Thanks for your help...

Thanks. I have been reading that Orient. Beach is a clothing optional beach. Don't know that I want to spend the day there with my kids. Also have you heard of Little Divi beach and would this be a better beach day

We went to LIttle Diivi Beach on our last cruise there. It was really nice! The day we went we almost had the place to ourselves it wasn't too busy at all. They had banana boat rides, jet skis and other misc. activities as well as a beautiful view! I think you would have a good time!!!! :)

Holly

I have been reading that Orient. Beach is a clothing optional beach. Don't know that I want to spend the day there with my kids.

There is a SECTION of Orient Beach that is clothing optional, called Club Orient, but it is well marked and separated from the rest of the beach by a rock wall. We were there three years ago, and it seemed very clear which part of the beach was clothing optional. Fair warning, though: We did see one woman going topless on the regular side of the beach, if that bothers you. As for activities, someone already mentioned jet skis, and I think there was also a place to rent snorkel equipment.

For what it's worth, I've been to St. Martin and St. Thomas once each, and I'm going back in two weeks, and we plan to do just what you said -- Orient Beach and Magens Bay. :) Also, you might have better luck on the Ports of Call boards for St. Martin and St. Thomas.

Erica

I highly, highly, highly, HIGHLY (did I say "highly"?) recommend the America's Cup excursion in St. Maarten. You actually get to crew and race one of three sailing vessels that raced in the America's Cup, including the Stars and Stripes which won the Cup the year it raced. I've been on more than a dozen cruises, taken excursions on virtually every one of them, and nothing has ever compared to this, which I did on my first cruise 12 years ago. Massive white sails, azure skies and the most beautiful blue Caribbean water -- plus phneomenal, pulse-pounding yacht racing.

I know, it sounds like a commercial, but darn it, it was really that good.

We were at Orient Beach in early April and i have to say I went back and forth because of all the postings about it being a nude beach, yada, yada, yada (ok excuse the Seinfeld reference but this whole thing kind of made me nuts). After going back and forth we booked it with our 11 and 12 year old kids who were actually kind of amused about seeing someone on the beach naked. You know what, nobody, not a single one. The beach was great, get a nice beach chair and an umbrella (the umbrella is a couple of bucks more) and a fabulous lunch included in the price. The beach was lovely, my dd and dh went parasailing and loved it, they even shoot a role of film for you of you in the air on the parasail which you get to take home and develop on your own. When we got back on the bus the guide asked if anyone saw any nudity and one or two people said they saw topless women but that they had to walk all the way down the beach to see this to a different area -- they are clearly marked and far apart.

we were just there last month went to orient beach parked right at the where the nude beach starts and had our kids with us not a pretty sight lol. By the way our kids are all teenagers. Went to what i think is maho beach by the airport and that was absoulutely awesome highly recomend that to everyone great time watching the planes land right over your head.

I second the vote for Maho Beach -- too much fun! Plus, there is a cute little bar/restaurant right there where you can grab a bite to eat and a cool drink, get out of the sun and watch the planes come in.

You can check it out for yourself - go to youtube.com and search 'Maho Beach'.

ST. MAARTEN

I highly recommend Orient beach. It was clean and offered a lot of water sport activities, restaurants/bars. There were lots of families and the nude side is on the other side.

St. THOMAS

We went to Coki beach and wasn't impressed. It was small and the facilities were run down with no running water. Wish we had gone to Megans instead

St. MAARTEN- We like to rent a jeep and do a circle tour around the island, stopping at Orient for a couple hours, then derive thru MArigot and stop at Maho to watch the planes and have lunch at the Sunset Bar and Grill, then stop in town on our way back to the ship.

St.THOMAS- I love Magan's Bay, very beautiful. But it can get crowded so we go there first and then when it gets crowded head to town and do a little shopping be fore going back to the ship. I usually just rent a floating mat at MAgan's Bay, I'm not sure if they have motorized rental, maybe just kayak's and such.

Beth

Archived