passport question

does anyone know what the difference is between a passport card versus passport book? I am debating if we should get passports or not for our cruise in Bermuda at the end of Aug on the explorer. I found out we don't need them for this cruise but for any unseen reason/emergency we did not make it back on the ship we would not be allowed to re enter the US without passports. I notice the card is half the price than a passport book and wandering why as I have never had a passport before.

Thanks

KF

does anyone know what the difference is between a passport card versus passport book? I am debating if we should get passports or not for our cruise in Bermuda at the end of Aug on the explorer. I found out we don't need them for this cruise but for any unseen reason/emergency we did not make it back on the ship we would not be allowed to re enter the US without passports. I notice the card is half the price than a passport book and wandering why as I have never had a passport before.

Thanks

KF

passport card will do you no good regarding flying back into the US.....Get the passport book and the world of travel is at your fingertrips wherever your heart wishes to travel via air !

Thanks

KF

You actually will not need a passport for your Bermuda cruise as it falls into the "Closed-loop" cruise category. Should you miss the ship and have to fly back to the US, you need to be aware that a passport card is not valid for international flights. The card is intended primarily for people who live near the Mexican and Canadian borders and regularly cross the border by land or sea. We were at Logan Airport last month for a flight to Cancun and observed the gate agent deny boarding to a couple who arrived with only passport cards instead of passports. Their look of dismay and disappointment as all of the other passengers boarded was a reminder that before one decides to get the card to save the additional expense of a passport, one should be sure that their travel plans will allow their use.

You should also be aware that should you miss the ship and have to fly home, there are procedures in place that would allow you to prove your citizenship. It would be more of a hassle but you won't be stranded in Bermudafor eternity.

The passport card isn't valid for air travel; just land (border crossings) and sea to Canada, Mexico, and most Caribbean countries.

I'd get a passport. When I renewed mine a year and half ago, they sent both a new passport and a passport card (same size/style as a drivers license), which I've taken to San Diego in case I wanted to hop over to TJ one evening, but otherwise I just take my passport...

Archived