Tips for "Budget" Cruising with a family

familycruzinnewbie

If you think of pulling your child out of school- check your schools attendance requirements. I had a friend who took their kids out gave the school notice - the school told her it would be unexcused, she got work from the teachers, a week after she got back. She had social services visiting her at work, to see what was going on. Apparently 5 days in a row excused or unexcused gets a visit, she did not pick up their phone calls and the only way they could contact her was at work. :(:(:(

Hi,

We are in BC and although close to a cruise port, not near one that has warm sunny weather in the winter so we always fly. We have had lots of luck with RBC Visa card that collects AVION points. you redeem the points for dollars and can spend them on any flight you choose. We have had lots of luck getting cheaper flights to Florida leaving from Seattle. It seems that leaving from the US is always WAY cheaper. We are heading on our 4th cruise with 2 kids that are now 8 and 10. We have always got a balcony as my kids are not really night owls and I found that the balcony gave us space to hang out when they went to bed. I didn't feel like I was trapped in a hotel room.

As for saving we just booked or pre and post cruise hotels on Hotwire and saved a ton. I was quite nervous but it was really easy. We have sailed RCL, NCL, and HAL. All chosen because of the price at the time and the ports. We tried to choose ports that didn't require us to go on ship excursions and had things that we could do with minimal extra costs. There are lots of beach ports that you can have a wonderful day without spending any extra money on excursions. Lots of the cities have great things to see within walking distance or a short(cheap cab).

As mentioned by other posters keep your eye open for 3rd and 4th person deals as we have always paid next to nothing for the kids.

Good luck.

:)

We have 2 kids currently 7 and 10 and we don't live anywhere near a port, so whether we fly to Newark or somewhere in Florida we have to add that in there and I understand it is cheaper to sail from Florida. We are looking at the Caribbean but maybe not until 2012, need some time to save. We could sail when rates go down in late August/early September Other options are late April when rates go down after Easter. When do you travel with your kids?

As far as cruise lines, I know Carnival seems to offer better rates. What other cruise lines offer good rates but are still fun for kids. I'm also wondering about cabins. Have any of you stayed in a 4 berth inner room with your kids? Are there any other options you have tried that don't cost much more or do the room sized vary between cruise lines? I know Carnival has limited porthole rooms and limited views, that are similar in price to an inner and slightly larger. Has anyone tried these.

What length of cruise do you recommend. Also wondering if there is any advantage to booking shorter back to back cruise rather than one 7 or 8 day cruise.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

KEY thing a book on new SHIP (newer ships = larger cabins)

Newer cruise less than a week

If you like Italien food, try COSTA or MSC, no charge for kids

but you also must understand, like and accept it´s not Carnival

NO short back to back (short cruise is on older cruise ships)

RCCL have quantity and quality + a lot of fun.

Start in smoth watter for your cruise = Florida

Cruise from Florida - you get more than you pay for

Balcony is a dream, but interior has worked perfectly fine for

4 of us, several times. It´s never far to get out to open air....

If interior, look for cabin high up in the ship, or close to pool deck

Family cabins are nice, but sold out one year ahead!

Read about the different cruiseline and ships, to avoid what ou

disslike. Look on the web.

Good Luck:)

We use tons of coupons to save money on groceries. We put everything we can on our cruise credit card (Carnival funpoints) and pay it off each month. We've taken two "free" cruises out of it already and gotten lots of shipboard credit, spa credit etc. I view grocery store saving blogs which match up sales fliers with coupons for the best deals and then meal plan with that. We budget our food and entertainment expenses throughout the year and just try to save where we can. The money we saev goes towards our "cruise fund"

Archived