Anyone ever have their luggage lost while cruising?

Littlegoo75

I sail in less than a week, and this is the first time that we have had a TBA cabin. Since there will be no cabin number on our tags, I am freaked out about them getting to our newly assigned cabin safe and sound. When the porters take them off of the bus ( we are taking the shuttle from FLL to Miami) where will they go from there, and how will they make it to our cabin without a number on them? This sounds like it can lead to a potential disaster.

Of those of you who have had your luggage lost, how many had TBA cabins, when did your luggage finally show up, and did you get any kind of compensation?

I do not want to wear the same clothes for a week!

I am one of those people who change their clothes several times a day, so this is a very scary thought! Our first port of call is Belize, I don't think there are a lot of places to buy clothes there!

I sail in less than a week, and this is the first time that we have had a TBA cabin. Since there will be no cabin number on our tags, I am freaked out about them getting to our newly assigned cabin safe and sound. When the porters take them off of the bus ( we are taking the shuttle from FLL to Miami) where will they go from there, and how will they make it to our cabin without a number on them? This sounds like it can lead to a potential disaster.

Of those of you who have had your luggage lost, how many had TBA cabins, when did your luggage finally show up, and did you get any kind of compensation?

I do not want to wear the same clothes for a week!

I am one of those people who change their clothes several times a day, so this is a very scary thought! Our first port of call is Belize, I don't think there are a lot of places to buy clothes there!

When you get to the pier the porters will have a passsenger manifest list. It will show which cabin you have been assigned. They will give you the proper luggage tags to fill out.

It also a good idea to always cross-pack clothing. Put some of you clothes in hubbys bag and vice versa incase the bags are lost at the aiport or pier.

Right, I was thinking of doing that with the clothes, mix them up......it's just a scary thought! I want all of my stuff there, safe with me. I am one of those over-packers because I just can't decide what to pack, and I want to have stuff to choose from, I would be a very sad girl without all of my things!

I know this is not exactly what you had in mind but last year AFTER the cruise we watched a man take one of our bags. When he was confronted and told he had the wrong bag he turned and left the buildind. Since he did not continue to look for "his" bag it leads me to believe he didn't even have a bag. I don't think they have alot of this type of problems however in all our experience know one has ever seriously checked and matched us to our luggage prior to leaving. Taking someones bag would be quite easy.

We accidently picked up someone else's suitcase since it was the color of ours and was put with ours. Unfortunately we did not see that they had a ribbon it. Didn't notice the mistake until that night when my husband opened his suitcase and he has girls' clothes. We had to buy him a change of clothes since the other suitcase of his had dirty clothes and we still had more traveling to do. We called the people and then sent their suitcase to them when we got home. The cruise port had ours. We had to pay for it to be shipped to us also. Next time we put a certain color of ribbon on ours and look for that color. This was after the cruise.

Main reason I don't buy fancy luggage, i.e. Louis Vuitton, is mainly for that reason. If somebody is looking to steal a bag, that would be one of the first ones they would set their eyes on. I also try to steer clear of black luggage since it seems like 85% of bags are black. I have had good luck with sage green, it's drab, but still stands out enough so I usually know that it's mine. I also put a unique identifier tag on it.

As bad as it would be to grab the wrong bag, imagine how bad it was for the other person who never got their bag. I usually watch the carousel like a hawk to make sure nobody takes off with my stuff!

I wouldn't be as sad if my luggage was lost after my cruise, but to have it lost before the cruise would just break my heart.

Important to remember if Carnival loses one of your bags the maximum compensation they give you is $100. They lost one of our bags in NewOrleans. We never got it back. Like others said I think someone else took it. Luckily we had travel insurance which will reimburse us up to $1000 for the bag and contents so we will not be out any money. It was our cosmetic case. Since we were on a cruise with a family group of 14 we just begged borrowed and made do. The cruise line provided us with an amenities kit which contained toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant etc. We managed and still had a great time.

Ugh.... that sucks. We usually carry on a bag that has all of our toiletres, but if my suitcase with my wardrobe never made it to my cabin, I would freak out. It's strange how luggage just "disappears". I wonder if any suitcases have just fallen into the water and sink, never to be seen again.

I don't know why I am freaking out about this, as I have never had a bag lost, but I think it's because I have a TBA cabin, so my tag does not have a number on it, that kind of scares me.

Last time we disembarked, we did it ourselves and carried our own bags off, how does it usually work if you leave your bags outside the door?

Check with your TA or carnival and see if you have been assigned a room number yet. If so, you can mark it on your tags. Use a large point Sharpie. If not stay with the bus while they offload the bags and make sure the porters get the room number put on the bags. Also make sure you have your name etc. on the outside of the bag in at least 2 places and inside as well.smile.gif

Archived