Are fins necessary to enjoy snorkeling in Bermuda?

DACmom

We are a family of 5. Our kids are 16-22 and don't usually like to go too far out in the ocean.... they can swim, just have this fear of sharks. ha

I would like to try to get them interested in snorkeling and get them to venture out a little. We will be in Bermuda 3 days in June and was thinking it may be better to buy equipment than rent it, as I would like them to have the chance to try it all days. My question (as title says) is do I need to buy the flippers also? We will just be going to the beaches and snorkeling from shore. Should I get the flippers or just the mask and snorkel.

Thanks for any help.

Yes, I remember that about the masks. I want to make sure to get decent ones. My husband and I snorkeled in Cancun and he has scuba dived, but the kids have never done any. In Cancun, we used the resorts equipment and some of the masks were not great.

I just feel that for the cost of renting equipment for 3 days, I could buy something to have for next time. And get better equipment. Just checking on what is necessary!

Thanks so much for the reminder about the masks, I need to make sure they are good ones!

We are a family of 5. Our kids are 16-22 and don't usually like to go too far out in the ocean.... they can swim, just have this fear of sharks. ha

I would like to try to get them interested in snorkeling and get them to venture out a little. We will be in Bermuda 3 days in June and was thinking it may be better to buy equipment than rent it, as I would like them to have the chance to try it all days. My question (as title says) is do I need to buy the flippers also? We will just be going to the beaches and snorkeling from shore. Should I get the flippers or just the mask and snorkel.

Thanks for any help.

I am all for buying a mask that properly fits an adult face at scuba shop.

For fins and a snorkel, you may want to consider to this.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11485018&search=snorkel&Mo=11&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=snorkel&Ntt=snorkel&No=9&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

It was recommended to me on other boards for the fins. That set is sold at Sams Club and BJs as well.

They also have a kids set that is cheaper.

Even snorkeling from shore you might need fins. With even a slight current, swimming with bare feet is a workout and a lot of effort to go nowhere. :p Fins just give you more propulsion with less effort. If you think you won't use them that much, just buy the mask and snorkel and see about renting fins. (More room in your suitcase). :)

there is this great site called leisure pro......the stuff there is priced really well. Tusa liberators are great, they fit most faces and on leisure pro they are around $32. If you do get caught in current, it could ruin the snorkeling experience and make them panic in the water. Not the experience you are looking for.

Yes, I remember that about the masks. I want to make sure to get decent ones. My husband and I snorkeled in Cancun and he has scuba dived, but the kids have never done any. In Cancun, we used the resorts equipment and some of the masks were not great.

I just feel that for the cost of renting equipment for 3 days, I could buy something to have for next time. And get better equipment. Just checking on what is necessary!

Thanks so much for the reminder about the masks, I need to make sure they are good ones!

Hi Lori, You mention that you went to a resort in Cancun that had rental snorkel equipment. Sounds like the resort had a snorkel program of its own? How was the snorkeling in Cancun and could you tell me something about the resort? I'm a solo traveler and would love to find either a cruise that includes great cruise-sponsored snorkel land excursions or a Caribbean resort that has a great snorkel program; i.e., I would not feel comfortable going off on my own to hunt down snorkel programs. Thanks. Joyce

Everyone talks about fins and masks. DO NOT FORGET the VEST. A very important item when snorkling. Should you get into a predicament where y'all get into a current or become tired, it WILL save your life. With your kids having an uneasy mind about entering the water, all the more reason to wear one.:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

YOu may want to compromise and buy much shorter fins. They are getting very large/long these days, but you can find shorter. Or even possibly the very short fins that a swimmer would use.

Here are a few more questions on the subject:

]

What kind of vest do you recommend for adults? Where do you get it?

We are also going to Bermuda and plan on going to beaches on our own to snorkle. But what is the best way to schelp the gear? Can anyone recommend a bag? And what do you do with your passport, money etc. when you are snorkling??!!

Thanks for any help.

I definitely recommend fins for shore snorkeling. There's a tendency while snorkeling to go farther from shore than when just "swimming" from a beach. You can encounter currents impossible to fight bare foot.

Boat snorkeling without fins is actually a safer proposition. Your boat can catch you up if you're caught in a current and can't make it back on your own.

Due to a foot injury, I recently had to snorkel without my fins. Fortunately, I didn't encounter any currents, but I made sure to ask the boat captain keep an eye on me in case I needed help.

I have been caught in currents that I couldn't have fought without fins. The strongest was near Klein Island at Bonaire. It was extremely strong and paralled the island. Swimming across it to return to the boat plumb wore me out!

Archived