Required docs to board/name change

A group of us are sailing on the Majesty, Sept 13, 2010. One of the couples just got married. I don't believe there is enough time for her to get her name changed on her US Passport. I know the other option is a Birth Certificate and Gov issued ID, however her Birth Cert. will have her maiden name and the ID will have her married name. Anyone know what the procedure is? Is it as simple as bringing her Marriage Lic, or are other docs needed?

FYI- she must change her DL within 30 days of marriage per our state law, so there is no way to keep her maiden name until the cruise. Thanks!!!

A group of us are sailing on the Majesty, Sept 13, 2010. One of the couples just got married. I don't believe there is enough time for her to get her name changed on her US Passport. I know the other option is a Birth Certificate and Gov issued ID, however her Birth Cert. will have her maiden name and the ID will have her married name. Anyone know what the procedure is? Is it as simple as bringing her Marriage Lic, or are other docs needed?

FYI- she must change her DL within 30 days of marriage per our state law, so there is no way to keep her maiden name until the cruise. Thanks!!!

You can´t get your Passport changed within 4 month?:eek:

I agree with those who said that there is plenty of time to get her passport changed. Current return time is under one month.

However, she can bring her certified birth certificate (or maiden name passport if not expired) and her driver's license, along with the marriage license to provide a bridge between the two names. Often, authorities will only ask for the BC and DL, but sometimes they do check the ML too. (I've especially found this to be true in Port Canaveral).

Alternatively, she can book the cruise in her maiden name and use her current passport as ID.

Sometimes the marriage licenses don't come back within 30 days. Especially if you're married outside of the state. So then they have to go to court to legally have a name change??

She can either get the ammendment for her passport, or not change her name until she comes back. The ammendment can't take more than a few weeks.

Here in Michigan more and more women aren't changing their names for marriage, I see it everyday.

Judy

The simplest thing to do is to have made the reservation in her maiden name - then all her ID will be correct. However, if the reservation was made in her married name and the passport doesn't get updated, make sure to bring the marriage license otherwise she will not be allowed to board.

Archived