Never been to LA, don't know where to start!

maggeye

I am cruising Royal Caribbean out of San Pedro in August. I would like to fly out there 4-5 days early to do some sightseeing, but I have no idea where to start. I've never been to the west coast and know nothing about the LA area whatsoever. I can fly into any airport, so that's not a problem. But where should I stay? I assume West Hollywood/Beverly Hills is the more touristy area? I am up for whatever. How far away is this area from the port and what would be the best way to get to the port on cruise day?

I also have heard that Long Beach is nice, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it would be closer to San Pedro port. Is there stuff to do there? Would it be easier if I stayed there to fly into Long Beach instead of LAX?

Also is it pretty much a given that you need to rent a car to get around? Are there other options?

Thanks for any advice!

I am cruising Royal Caribbean out of San Pedro in August. I would like to fly out there 4-5 days early to do some sightseeing, but I have no idea where to start. I've never been to the west coast and know nothing about the LA area whatsoever. I can fly into any airport, so that's not a problem. But where should I stay? I assume West Hollywood/Beverly Hills is the more touristy area? I am up for whatever. How far away is this area from the port and what would be the best way to get to the port on cruise day?

I also have heard that Long Beach is nice, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it would be closer to San Pedro port. Is there stuff to do there? Would it be easier if I stayed there to fly into Long Beach instead of LAX?

Also is it pretty much a given that you need to rent a car to get around? Are there other options?

Thanks for any advice!

If you are staying more than just a day, many will recommend not staying in Long Beach as that will be a distance from the attractions.

Los Angeles, and its environs, are very widespread. So the way to start is to think out what you and your family, group, whatever, is interested in doing. Museums, amusement parks, touring Hollywood, going to the beach? Usually when we're planning a trip (which means I'll be doing the research), the first thing I usually do is go to the Auto Club and pick up the tour book (free for members) for the area. Usually it has lots of ideas for places to sightsee.

Next when you have come up with a must-see list plus other places you could check out, look at a map of LA and see where everything is. If you're renting a car, it'll be easier to get around.

A very key thing to remember: don't stay in downtown LA (basically it's for businesspeople who are going to the Convention Center and for those who don't know the area and don't realize it's not a good place to stay).

Please check out the hotel threads here before you decide on a hotel. There are some "bargains" that really aren't: the hotels may be in a dicey area and/or be a dump. Bruin Steve and Curt Jerome wild are among those who can recommend some decent hotels.

You could check Starline tours. Ive taken several of thier tours through the years and its a good place to start.

http://www.starlinetours.com/

As far as a place to stay. I have stayed at the Sportsmens lodge and its in Studio city which I really liked as well.

Also if you check out starlinetours and look up the places they pick up from. It lists lots of hotels and motels and thier locations. You can get an idea from that as well.

http://www.slhotel.com/

Anyway those are just some ideas as far as tours Ive taken from Starline tours. Ive taken the Grand tour of LA, Hollywood trolly tour, Interior of chinnese grumman theatre, Movie stars homes, LA city, Movie star homes and Beach tour, Disney land tour, Universal tour, Hollywood movie star expierence ( Stars homes, Sony Studio and hollywood walking tour).

I dident take them all at once but through the years. Even if you dont take the tours they can give you ideas of what to see and do in the LA area and around it.

I go every summer third week Of July to a conference and have for the past 8 years and every year I take a tour. So thier ya go I hope this helps :)

Adri

We did a quick 3 day trip to LA last year and had a great time. I used trip advisor to plan my trip and get help from the locals. Gave me a some great ideas. We wanted to try and do all the touristy things we could. Here is our stay:

West Hollywood--booked a hotel on priceline and got $90 per night at Le Parc Suites hotel. It is a converted apartment hotel right off sunset in a residential neighborhood. Parking was $25 a night. We rented a car so we could get around. Drove ourselves around Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive area (about 10 minutes from our hotel). Went to Pink's Hotdog stand for our first evening in town. Also drove ourselves along a tour of the star's homes that I found on the internet. Fun to see the houses in Beverly Hills and Hombley Hills.

Day 1 Went to Santa Monica Pier, Venice and Malibu during the day. Went to the Magic & Comedy club in Hermosa Beach that evening where Jay Leno plays and tries out new material.

Day 2 Went on tour of the stars homes and took the hop-on-bus. Saw La Bre Tar Pits, The Grove shopping areas and Grumman's Chinese Theater plus did the whole loop to see the sights.

Day 3 Went to the Price is Right taping and while we were waiting to get in we went over and did a tour of Universal Studio's.

They were busy days, but we had a great time! If cheesy touristy things are what you are looking for I can highly recommend the above things!:rolleyes: I would definitely stay in the West Hollywood area again. It was very easy to get around from there and I was surprised that driving in LA was not as bad as I imagined it would be.

my wife and i went in dec. we stayed at the bestwestern on sunset as you are on the hop on and off bus route. the stop is across the street and this will get you everywhere you need to go. look up starlite tours and you can see all the routes ,you dont need a car that way, no need for the stress. there is a lot of fine food around and things to do.the hotel is clean and you get breakfeast. we also went to warner brothers for a tour it was very nice to see. hope this helps as this is how we planned our trip it was our first also.

my wife and i went in dec. we stayed at the bestwestern on sunset as you are on the hop on and off bus route. the stop is across the street and this will get you everywhere you need to go. look up starlite tours and you can see all the routes ,you dont need a car that way, no need for the stress. there is a lot of fine food around and things to do.the hotel is clean and you get breakfeast. we also went to warner brothers for a tour it was very nice to see. hope this helps as this is how we planned our trip it was our first also.

We are going in June and plan on using the Hop on/Hop off too as our mode of transportation. Seems like it hits all the "hot" spots. Is it easy to use and read that schedule? Does it only run from a certain time of day to a certain time of day? even though it sells 24 hour passes? It doesn't run the whole 24 hours, does it? Thanks.

We are going in June and plan on using the Hop on/Hop off too as our mode of transportation. Seems like it hits all the "hot" spots. Is it easy to use and read that schedule? Does it only run from a certain time of day to a certain time of day? even though it sells 24 hour passes? It doesn't run the whole 24 hours, does it? Thanks.

no it doesn't run 24hrs . the bus runs every half hour until midnight. we used it and seen alot of l.a. we stayed at the bestwestern on sunset and the stop was across the street. you buy your pass right from the bus driver. we will go again and thats the way we will get round as there is no stress of driving and finding parking. around the hotel there are great places to eat, it is a good place to stay. hope it helps:cool:

no it doesn't run 24hrs . the bus runs every half hour until midnight. we used it and seen alot of l.a. we stayed at the bestwestern on sunset and the stop was across the street. you buy your pass right from the bus driver. we will go again and thats the way we will get round as there is no stress of driving and finding parking. around the hotel there are great places to eat, it is a good place to stay. hope it helps:cool:

Yes, that helps a lot!! Thank you!! We are staying at the Farmer's Daughter accross from The Grove and thier is a stop at the Grove that we will pick it up from. I'm really excited for our post cruise visit to LA!! :)

Yes, that helps a lot!! Thank you!! We are staying at the Farmer's Daughter accross from The Grove and there is a stop at the Grove that we will pick it up from. I'm really excited for our post cruise visit to LA!! :) And I agree, it beats the stress of the driving and parking.

Shooty,

You have chosen an excellent location. I haven't stayed at this motel but I know the location very well.

There is a well known deli about a block or so from you called Canter's. They have a deli and bakery in addition to their restaurant. Also you will be very close to the Farmer's Market which is a nice experience as well.

There are buses that run on Beverly Boulevard that wil take you to Beverly Hills and beyond.

Shooty,

You have chosen an excellent location. I haven't stayed at this motel but I know the location very well.

There is a well known deli about a block or so from you called Canter's. They have a deli and bakery in addition to their restaurant. Also you will be very close to the Farmer's Market which is a nice experience as well.

There are buses that run on Beverly Boulevard that wil take you to Beverly Hills and beyond.

Make sure to try their matzo ball soup and the rum cake. My parents would stop by there anytime they're in that area and get a rum cake to bring home.

Shooty,

Fredr - thanks for the info, we will have to check out Canter's, and fyi I chose this location thanks to CJW from these boards - everyone is so helpful! I originally booked it because I've always wanted to go on The Price is Right, but doesn't it figure they aren't taping in June at all! I'm so bummed.

Make sure to try their matzo ball soup and the rum cake. My parents would stop by there anytime they're in that area and get a rum cake to bring home.

Cruisin' Chick - did you say rum cake? OMG, that is our family's fav! Since they aren't coming, I will have to eat a whole one myself! :)

Archived