Las Vegas residant spending night in Long Beach

MOHAVE

My original plans were to leave my house in Vegas the morning of the cruise and park at the Carnival peir. Is this a good idea? Is it safe to park at the peir for 7 days?

But I am also giving thought of staying at a hotel close to the pier. and do some looking around for the rest of the day before. What's a resonable hotel close by where I can leave my car for a week?

And for what I'd like to do? Just walk around. I really wouldn't be interested in getting very far from the pier. I'd like to walk around in a sea side park or photograph a ship yard or Naval ard close by. (yep, easily entertained, LOL.) Any suggestions?

Check out the Long Beach Hilton or search this forum for the information. I think the night plus 7 days is almost the same as 7 days parking at the pier.

Or check out Hotel Current--on the far east side of town, but it also has a stay/park/cruise package. www.hotelcurrent.com You could easily drive to downtown or to the harbor for pictures.

I don't think there is any remainder of the Navy left on Terminal Island. Most of the shipyard and naval base is the COSCO terminal.

My original plans were to leave my house in Vegas the morning of the cruise and park at the Carnival peir. Is this a good idea? Is it safe to park at the peir for 7 days?

But I am also giving thought of staying at a hotel close to the pier. and do some looking around for the rest of the day before. What's a resonable hotel close by where I can leave my car for a week?

And for what I'd like to do? Just walk around. I really wouldn't be interested in getting very far from the pier. I'd like to walk around in a sea side park or photograph a ship yard or Naval ard close by. (yep, easily entertained, LOL.) Any suggestions?

It would be safe to park at the pier for seven nights...and it would be possible to drive in from Vegas that morning...provided you got up and out VERY early...You'd have to figure on a 5 hour drive...remember, you're not only driving to LA, but all the way through it to the Southwest corner, approximately...

But I wouldn't do it...

First, I'd be paranoid about oversleeping...and if not that, there's always the unexpected...What if there's a multi-car pile up on the 15...or brush fires around the Cajon Pass...

...and of course, you'd be exhausted when you finally got on the ship...

If you're cruising Carnival, check out the park and stay deals at the Hilton...or just Priceline for higher end hotels in the Downtown Long Beach area...Drive at your leisure the morning before, hang out in Long Beach, get a good night's sleep and start your cruise well rested...

Besides the Queen Mary there's a restored Soviet submarine (Skorpion) nextdoor. Both are adjacent to the Carnival dock. Aquarium of the Pacific is a few miles away, and the Pike is next to that- an open air mall with shops and restaurants (pretty much the national chains though).

Archived