Best place along beach

Going to be in Progeso in early August. Have group of around 30 with us, we are looking for best place to spend the day along the beach. Looking for place with food, chairs with cover, massages etc. any recomendations for the best locations.

The Progreso beach is one long and public beach. Of course Progreso is pretty busy in July and August with folks taking vacation from Merida and other cities of the Yucatan state.

My favorite restaurant is le Saint Bonnet. Great food, especially the whole deep fried snapper, and great service in the restaurant or served on the beach. Reasonable and the fish and seafood is so very fresh.

I can't think of any one spot on the beach that's better than anyother. Obviously, I would choose the beach in front of LSB.

As hdawson has suggested I also believe that Le Saint Bonnet has the best food with Buddy's a close second. Both of their beach areas are fun with good food, booze and staff. OP: You should have no trouble finding a place that you are comfortable with. Lots of good beach bars set up along the waterfront. Michael

Our family (including our kids ages 17, 12, 10) is going to be in Progrespo next week. My husband is wanting to do the Corona Beach party. From what I'm reading, do you think the public beach will do us just as good? Are there umbrellas? We are a very fair-skinned bunch so we will need some protection from the sun. Do you have to get there early to secure a table? Thanks for any information!

Our family (including our kids ages 17, 12, 10) is going to be in Progrespo next week. My husband is wanting to do the Corona Beach party. From what I'm reading, do you think the public beach will do us just as good? Are there umbrellas? We are a very fair-skinned bunch so we will need some protection from the sun. Do you have to get there early to secure a table? Thanks for any information!

The Corona beach is own the public beach. All the bars along the beach have plenty of shade, tables and shade. Beers and Margaritas are cheap and cold. Great food for very reasonable prices. Especialy if you like sea food, fresh, fresh ,fresh and real Yucatan food. Personaly I would not waste my time at the Corona club section of the beach. Step down 50 ft and their are at least a dozen beach bars alot cheaper.

Not at all like the port area of Costa Maya which is so contrived. Progreso is a small real Mexican town. Not "designed" to replicate Mexico. It is a major freight port and fishing town. It is Mexico. Don't expect alot of flash. About as far as you can get from the Cancuns and Cozumel. Merida, 21 miles by the local bus ($3.00 RT) is a city of a million, state capitol and home to four universitys.

Thanks. We really just want a beach day like we had in Costa Maya. It seemed "real" Mexican to me, more so than Cozumel. We were at an area with a hut and hammocks and lots of food and drinks were brought to us right on the beach.

I'm looking forward to this port. I know my family will like to explore some. I doubt we'd take a bus into Merida though. We just like to shop and spend the day at the beach. I read some about "Buddy". Anyone have any comments on this location?

Thanks. We really just want a beach day like we had in Costa Maya. It seemed "real" Mexican to me, more so than Cozumel. We were at an area with a hut and hammocks and lots of food and drinks were brought to us right on the beach.

I'm looking forward to this port. I know my family will like to explore some. I doubt we'd take a bus into Merida though. We just like to shop and spend the day at the beach. I read some about "Buddy". Anyone have any comments on this location?

Don't worry, you will see what hdawson and myself are talking about when you get to Progreso/Merida. Buddy's is a good place to eat and has a good beach set up. I usually eat lunch at Le Saint Bonnet's, my opinion is the food is the best in town and end up down the beach at Buddy's for hanging out. There are many beach bars available, different strokes for different folks. Find one that you are comfortable with, have some fun or just kick back and relax. I would definitely recommend if you have the chance and time to check out Merida.

Amen Traveler. How often do we get the opportunity to explore fourteen hundred year old cities or a bustling modern/anchient foreign city of one million? Progreso offers many more options than a Cozumel which is limited to beaches and souvenier shopping.

Archived