Last minute Sting Ray City

MomtoCCC

Hi all,

We are still not sure if we are going to Grand Cayman or not (Rhapsody of the Seas). Rather than booking an excursion we may not use, I was wondering if there are any tour operators at the pier that we can sign up with at the last minute (the day we arrive).

Our other option is just going to the beach - I've heard about Sea Grape Beach but it sounds expensive, any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Other than Rhapsody isn't listed on the Port of Grand Cayman website, why do you think it won't stop? It is listed as a port on RCCL's website.

If your ship is a no show, most tours don't charge you anything. If you are a no show, that is different.

I would pick one that does't require a deposit - you can usually get those back, also, but can be more effort on your part.

What does RCCL say? Surely they will know before they depart whether or nor they are going to stop.

Yes, you can pick up tours at the dock - especially as early as it appears you will arrive. The quality of the dock tours can be hit or miss, however. You might want to make note of the usual suspects (Bryan, Soto, Nativeway, Moby Dick, Marvin, ??) you might be interested in, including meeting location and time, and just join one of those. I would contact any you are interested in, in advance, to see if they are sold out or not or if they will accept walk ups (I think all will if there is room and you are on time.)

There were plenty of tour operators right on the dock looking to take you to Stingray City. I did not want to do that so I didn't investigate pricing or who was there.

As far as Sea Grape beach, it does not cost you anything to use the beach. The cab fare was $4 per person to get there. Beach free. To use facilities such as chairs umbrellas, water toys, food, etc. there was a cost, but if you bring your towels and sunscreen you can use the beach for free.

Thanks for the input... We will just have to wait and see, I still think we will be going to Costa Maya since we are not on GC Port Authority list. ROS has not been back to GC since the hurricanes. We were on the GC port list for February as of a month ago but were since taken off. RCCL is not very up front about the itinerary changes - it has been this way since last November. People board ship and find out they are changing (or they find out a day or 2 before leaving)

Anyway - if we find ourselves in GC we will probably go to the beach since we are already signed up for a snorkeling trip in Cozumel.

Thanks again.

Archived