Attempt to fit into my clothes at the end of our cruise!

Does anyone have a list of available fitness classes offered(as well as times & cost if possible) on the Dream? Probably a bit optimistic that I'll participate...but!?!?! :rolleyes: Thanks!!

I understand the saltwater air will shrink your clothing 5% to 10% by the end of the cruise...at least that's what I told myself.

I have yet to gain any weight on any of the cruises I have gone. The trick is to not over eat and don't eat for the sake of eating. The food is tempting, but really, pace yourself...A afternoon snack between lunch and dinner is always called for.....Ice creak is tempting, to tempting....actually, I didn't even have any ice cream on my last cruise at all...same with pizza....

Another trick is to walk around the ship at least two or three times a day. It is boring to walk around the jogging track, but a nice casual walk around the open decks, and the Dream now has that on Deck 5, it the moring, afternoon and in the evening before turning in will help burn the calories and guess what, it's free!!!!

If all else fails, bring a pair of pants with an elastic waist and all is well...

Actually, I have a simple one thats not listed on the DREAM,

Will Power ! I know that sounds harsh, but that is the Truth. :D. I use to weigh 230 , now 183. I don't eat dinner or breakfast not unless I'm on a cruise ;)

Wheat bread and subway , thats the way to go .

Um , n:eek: I don't work for Subway or Richard S. Just determined.

On the last cruise we were on one of the couples that went with us had an issue with his clothes fitting when he went home. Well he could not understand why his pants didn't fit for the last formal night?? Well maybe it was the 6 or 7 ice cream cones he had everyday or the the 10-12 pieces of pizza!! Or maybe it was having the warm chocolate melting cake he had at dinner everynight. One night it was baked alaska he almost cried because he couldn't get his chocolate melting cake so our head waiter was kind enough and was able to get him the cake!! Ok maybe thats why he didn't fit into his clothes after the cruise. Oh wait I forgot he had 2 appetizers, 2 entrees(sp) and his dessert every night!!! Guess what he still has that weight on and had to buy new clothes:eek::eek:

My brother-in-law did the same thing on our cruise..he really didn't over eat, but he sure enjoyed a whole lot more miller Lites;) and he loved the pizza and had some every night before going to bed...the last day my sister knocked on our door and when I opened it she was laughing hysterically and said he couldn't get any of his shorts or pants buttoned....but ya know what he managed to finally get a pair of shorts on and he told us...he didn't care that he gained on the cruise...because it was worth every pound to have as much fun, food and beverages as he had that week....and he got it right back off when we got home!!!!

I'm an active person and regularly put in 2 hour workouts at the gym. I bring work out clothes on my cruises for the sea days and do active excursions such as snorkeling and STILL always manage to gain weight. On my last cruise, I brought jeans to wear on the drive back from Mobile to Atlanta. On our last sea day, I didn't even want to think about putting them on, so I went to the gift shop and bought a pair of yoga pants to wear instead. It wasn't that I was super greedy or anything, I just ate (and drank ;)) more than I do at home. Plus those foods are so high in sodium so there's a lot of water retention. I always lose the weight immediately upon returning home and getting back on track. My goal from now on is to lose 5 pounds before I go so I won't feel as bad about gaining it back. :p

Does anyone have a list of available fitness classes offered(as well as times & cost if possible) on the Dream? Probably a bit optimistic that I'll participate...but!?!?! :rolleyes: Thanks!!

To try and help here is a list found in the Carnival FAQ's area on their site. I am sure times vary per ship and cruise....

If heart pumping cardio classes are what you seek - enjoy indoor cycling, aerobics, or cardio circuit training. For those who desire meditation or flexibility sessions - try yoga or Pilates. All workouts are specifically geared to keep you focused on your health and well-being while enjoying all the fun of your cruise.

Fitness Classes

Aerobics class

Step Aerobics

Total Body Conditioning

Absolute Abs

Sunrise Morning Stretch

For the following classes, there is a $12.00 charge per class:

Pathway to Yoga

Pilates

Cycling class

Kick Boxing

Note: Classes may not be offered on every ship or every saildate; classes are subject to space limitations and participation.

I didnt gain weight on my cruise and never visited the gym...I took stairs vs waiting on elevators, took strolls around the ship, walked in some ports vs taking a cab...etc... I ate when I felt like eating, but didnt over do it and the extra activity kept my weight under control. Enjoy your trip!

Drink bottled water. I bought a case of 24 on board and finished that by day 4 so I was buying the liter bottles. The food has so much sodium in it (especially since I've been on a sodium free lifestyle) that I swelled 6 lbs even with 100 oz of drinking water a day and not pigging out- thank god that 2 days after I got home I was back down to my normal weight! I would hate to think how much I would have retained if I hadn't drank bottled water. (Tap water on the ship, although desalinated still has enough salt to make me retain and gag).

Another thing- it's all about moderation. Who needs to eat 7 icecreams just because it's included?......

Jokes are made and rightfully so, but let me tell you what happened to my sister.

I took my sister on her first cruise and told her to pack an outfit that was either a little big or had elastic in the waist. She laughed and scoffed at me since it was only a 3-day cruise. Once onboard, she was totally blown away with the food choices and unlimited quantities. She ate every meal as if it was her last and she was headed to the electric chair.

So once we debarked, she waddled to our rental car and we headed to the airport. On the way, she made me stop at Wal-Mart so she could buy a pair of shorts with an elastic waist as she was totally miserable from being "cut into" by a now too small wardrobe. It was my turn to laugh!!!!

Absolutely true story! :)

I either stay the same or even have lost a pound or two. I eat whatever I want but in moderation - never deprive myself of anything. BUUUUT I walk, walk, walk, never take the elevator - always the stairs. And drink lots of water (ships water is fine for me) Have a great time. But do take elastic waisted pants.

Personally I don't see how people eat that warm melting choc cake, esp not every night! We tried it the first night, I had about 2-3 bites and that was enough, plus I don't eat choc at night cause of the caffeine - but it was just too rich for me, esp after eating dinner too. I tried several of the desserts, some reg and some spa ones - but nothing 'blew me away', most of the time I'd have a few bites and not finish any of them - guess thats a good thing, lol!

I probably ate a little more than I normally do, but still not more than 3 meals a day, I don't 'luv' ice cream so that wasn't a temptation. Didn't try the pizza or pasta bar. I don't go on a cruise just to eat - although I did enjoy trying different things at dinner (in the MDR). We walked alot on and off the boat, took the stairs and I had actually lost about 5lbs when I weighed at home. :)

I used to diet and lose about 10 pounds before each cruise so I could gain it back. Now, we just take the stairs instead of the elevator, we walk the length of the ship a few times a day and eat in moderation, not for the sake of eating as others have pointed out. Doing so, I have actually come back with less weight than I went on with the last several cruises we've been on.

I either stay the same or even have lost a pound or two. I eat whatever I want but in moderation - never deprive myself of anything. BUUUUT I walk, walk, walk, never take the elevator - always the stairs. And drink lots of water (ships water is fine for me) Have a great time. But do take elastic waisted pants.

I'm the same way - I usually stay the same or lose a few pounds. It helps that I'm not much of a drinker (lots of empty calories there!) and that we walk all over the ship many times a day going to games and activities. I'm not one to lounge in the sun all day. Also take the stairs instead of the elevators as well.

I still indulge in some ice cream or pizza and dessert at dinner and don't deprive myself, but I also don't pile the plate at the buffet with enough food for 10 people, either. So while I'm eating a little more, I'm also moving a LOT more than I normally do stuck behind a desk all day and going to the gym for an hour at night like I do at home.

Bread baskets are hard, so I ask for a plate of crudities..celery sticks, mushrooms little carrots, pepper slices etc, to nibble while others are having the bread and butter. As our trip progressed others at our table started to eat "my" plate too, and the waiter brought bigger and bigger plates of veggies! Also remember there is a plate of steamed veggies on the "always available list", and you can use these to fill up on too, if you are not a huge meat eater. My last trick is to order cappachino for dessert, and have a real dessert later in the night if I want one, or even get cookies brought on room service. Sometimes, I have my dinner dessert in the afternoon at the lido too.... a sweet and tea is a nice gift to myself, and keeps the calories down a bit, and also makes the overfull feeling after dinner non existant. Any other tricks out there?

Back on topic, but has anyone taken any of the fitness classes offered? Specifically pilates or yoga? I've been practicing hot yoga for several months and don't want to have a break in my practice while on board, but I'm not sure if it will just be a hour of breathing with a few sun salutations thrown in.

I took a pilates class when I was on RC and it left much to be desired.

Jokes are made and rightfully so, but let me tell you what happened to my sister.

I took my sister on her first cruise and told her to pack an outfit that was either a little big or had elastic in the waist. She laughed and scoffed at me since it was only a 3-day cruise. Once onboard, she was totally blown away with the food choices and unlimited quantities. She ate every meal as if it was her last and she was headed to the electric chair.

So once we debarked, she waddled to our rental car and we headed to the airport. On the way, she made me stop at Wal-Mart so she could buy a pair of shorts with an elastic waist as she was totally miserable from being "cut into" by a now too small wardrobe. It was my turn to laugh!!!!

Absolutely true story! :)

:D:D she is me. like i posted above, only elastic waitsbands go in my bag. i am single and dont eat right so the ship food is too tempting to turn away.

Back on topic, but has anyone taken any of the fitness classes offered? Specifically pilates or yoga? I've been practicing hot yoga for several months and don't want to have a break in my practice while on board, but I'm not sure if it will just be a hour of breathing with a few sun salutations thrown in.

I took a pilates class when I was on RC and it left much to be desired.

I have never done a fitness class on a ship, but I would think it won't be anywhere near the calibre of what you do at home. I just can't see them having qualified yogis leading each class...probably just staff members with some kind of fitness training but not necessarily specialized. You could always do some yoga/pilates in your room or on your balcony, if you have one, each day to try to keep up, and maybe throw in a few aerobics classes or a few cardio sessions on your own in the gym.

I make it a point to almost never take the elevators on the ship (my only exception is if I'm wearing painfully horrid heels, lol) so my hubby and I always take the stairs. We also don't eat that much differently than we do at home, i.e. we don't go nuts just because there's a buffet. Often on the days we eat breakfast, we don't eat lunch and vice versa (not necessarily intentionally, just because we'll eat a larger meal than we usually would & it carries us through the day). We've never had a problem with our clothes fitting at the end of a trip...I think the most either of us have ever gained is 3-4 lbs.

Archived