Ryndam ????????

dksailaway

Can anyone describe and critique Holland America's RYNDAM. Considering cruising on this ship!

Thanks!

dksailaway

For some good information, check out the trip reports for the Ryndam.

I hate to trash any cruise...we've been on quite a few but our Ryndam experience was not to our liking. Since our cruise in November, 2009 the ship has been in dry dock so physically it should be in better shape. From more recent posts there were crew changes which should have been smoothed out by now.

We did not like the food. I have co-authored several cookbooks and have experience in the food industry and was sorely disappointed in the menu options and culinary creations. When the kitchen staff changes so does the flavor of the food and most recent reports have not been as critical.

We chose the ship for the itinerary which was altered from embarkation throughout the cruise due to engine distress. Hopefully this has been corrected.

We also gave great consideration to sailing on a smaller ship. We have a cruise this summer on an even smaller ship. The ship size took us back to our earliest cruises which we liked.

The age demographic on our sailing seemed to be typical. I am in my early 60's and felt like a twenty something.

I am trying to be fair but my DH emphatically says we will not sail any HAL ship in the future. I am trying to be more open minded and never say never.

Our cruises are itinerary driven and if the Ryndam offers something no other line offers then give it due consideration. I hope you find a cruise that will suit your desires.

We have had some great cruises on the Ryndam. Our last one on it, though, left a lot to be desired. However, since then, the ship has been in drydock. The issues on our last cruise were mechanical problems and notably bad cabin stewards and marginally acceptable dining stewards, and a general sense of no one really caring all that much. We now refer to that cruise as the Voyage of the Ryn-dammed. Other people on that cruise, though, did not experience the poor service we had.

Had it been our first HAL cruise, we likely would not go back to HAL. Had it been our first-ever cruise, we'd have been left wondering why people love to cruise.

As it is, my next cruise is on the Ryndam :rolleyes: and I'm hoping that the problems we experienced in January have been resolved.

As you can see from the list of our cruises in the signature block below, it was a while ago when we sailed Ryndam on the Sea of Cortez itinerary. We had one of my most favorite cruises! It was a spur of the moment booking at a great price. The itinerary was excellent with good relaxation and the adventure of a lifetime to Copper Canyon. We had a nice lecture series and good entertainment, but not outstanding.

Our previous cruise had been on Diamond Princess four months before and I remember that the comparison of the food was still pretty fresh in my mind, with HAL's offerings much better in the MDR choices of meats, espeically beef and lamb dishes. The Lido always had a carving station and we had several special lunches on the pool deck with different themes. We had late dining with lovely dinnermates at a table for 4 on the balcony rail.

Our room was an upgrade from an inside to a midship outside and we were more than very happy with it. The rooms have couches and tubs and are much roomier than what we had on our 15 day cruise on Princess to Hawaii.

We had no difficulties or engine issues (although we had engine issues on Maasdam and that made for some disappointments, so I can sympathize with that).

I liked Ryndam's decor as elegant and traditional and loved having the choice of swimming pools. The flowers were magnificent, but that's pretty much HAL-wide.

With all of that said, others who have sailed on her more recently than our 2008 cruise may shed more light.

Also, my attitude is that it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship, so even when I have had some difficulties on a cruise I've kept it in perspective.

I hope you can find a great cruise for you:)

I cruised to the western Caribbean with a friend on the Ryndam in mid-March and had a wonderful time! It was a full charter cruise with Garrison Keillor and the Prairie Home Companion staff and performers, so the entertainment was outstanding, but of course that was strictly because of the charter.

The ship was in very good shape - new carpeting throughout, new drapes and decor in the cabins. We had a midship balcony cabin, and late fixed dining, though for the charter it was all fixed dining in the MDR, either early or late. We thought the food was excellent, though we did change dining tables because our table mates were repeated no-shows, and though we are good friends, we wanted to meet some other folks. The new table mates were lots of fun.

I liked the new Mix area, and the library and Explorations Cafe are top-notch. Our only complaint was that the cabin stewards seemed much slower - most days our cabin was not tended until after lunch. It did seem that maybe they were understaffed. We didn't experience any engine problems, and the AC, plumbing and all the other basics operated smoothly.

I've sailed on only three cruises, all on HAL charters with PHC, so I can't critique HAL vis-a-vis other lines.

We were on the Ryndam last month and were delighted.

The recent dry-dock did wonders! New carpet, furnishings, tile, etc. has the Ryndam looking like a new ship.

The service and dining experiences were also first class.

Bob

DW and I spent 21days aboard the MS Ryndam last month and really enjoyed

everything about this ship,food,entertainment,and the great crew,they really went out of their way to make our cruise great,all new carpets ect,ect.

The ship is in wonderful shape and looks new.Iwould sail on her again in a heartbeat.

IMHO a cruise is what you make it.Whatever ship you choose have a great one.:D:D:D

DH and I loved our trip on the Ryndam in July 2009 so much we didn't hesitate to book our Spring Break 2010 trip on the same ship. I wrote a review upon our return from the Alaska trip (Great Days in the Great Land). There was also a thread with a lot more detail.

While the ship was showing a few signs of wear before the dry dock, it certainly wasn't enough to impact our enjoyment. The redecorated bathrooms are stunning now, and the new soft goods in the cabins are very nice.

While no cruise is perfect in every way, DH and I are 'roll with the punches' type people... and we are thrilled to be away from our jobs.

In March 2010 we took our first Holland cruise on the Ryndam. We have sailed many times on the Princess and one cruise on the Celebrity Infinity and numberous times years ago on the Norweigien Line.

The ship had just gotten out of dry dock for remodeling. Unless we get a real "deal" on the Ryndam or for that matter on the Holland line, we will not sail on it again. I liked the idea of the smaller ship, but the staff were not friendly and and the service was missing.

The serving staff in the buffet was disappointing and slow. We only went to the dining room for breakfast on the first day and it was our last time at breakfast or for lunch in the dining room. We sat at the table for breakfast on the first day and we were there for almost 2 hours. We had to beg for coffee (we asked at least three waiters and a head waiter for coffee and still had to wait for at least 15 minutes before we were served coffee) and also had to ask for breakfast pastries and it took too long also.

In total the service was much to be desired.

Hi, m_steve,

We didn't do any of the shows, so I can't help you there. We were aboard for the final 4 nights of a combined canal/coastal repo, and unless the MC dinner happened while were in the Pinnacle, there wasn't one during our voyage. Possibly it happened before we boarded in San Diego.

Cheers,

Friday

I have to agree with CowPrincess, but again, our cruise on Ryndam was prior to drydock doing the Sea of Cortez. We had 5 cabins - two of which had no air conditioning, and after much complaints and begging, finally received fans. Dinning room service was SLOW - and we enjoy a relaxing meal - but it was ridiculously slow to the point where we left and went to the Lido for coffee and dessert. I found the servers in the Lido to be surly and unfriendly.

But, the beds are the best, the guest lecturers very good. The food is so subjective, but I personally find it pretty even with Celebrity, RC and Carnival.

If you are comfortable with the size of the ship and the ports, I would say go for it! I am really not loyal to any one cruiseline - I look at the ship itself, the ports and most of all, the price when I choose a cruise. And CowPrinces - hoping you will report in on Ryndam's condition after you next cruise on her. Thanks, Laurie

I have to agree with CowPrincess, but again, our cruise on Ryndam was prior to drydock doing the Sea of Cortez. We had 5 cabins - two of which had no air conditioning, and after much complaints and begging, finally received fans. Dinning room service was SLOW - and we enjoy a relaxing meal - but it was ridiculously slow to the point where we left and went to the Lido for coffee and dessert. I found the servers in the Lido to be surly and unfriendly.

But, the beds are the best, the guest lecturers very good. The food is so subjective, but I personally find it pretty even with Celebrity, RC and Carnival.

If you are comfortable with the size of the ship and the ports, I would say go for it! I am really not loyal to any one cruiseline - I look at the ship itself, the ports and most of all, the price when I choose a cruise. And CowPrinces - hoping you will report in on Ryndam's condition after you next cruise on her. Thanks, Laurie

We had no A/C our first night onboard, but they looked after that QUICKLY -- we had A/C within 2 hours of notifying the front desk. It appeared that other pax/cabins were not so lucky -- we'd walk by and the cabin doors would be open and the fans would be running, and the pax looking frazzled. Every day of the cruise.

Our cabin stewards were the worst we have ever experienced. DH (when I was discussing which cabin category to book for Sea of Cortez for Feb 2011) said "I just want good cabin stewards, I don't care about window or no window or porthole or midships or aft. I just want good cabin stewards". They were so bad, they are our clearest memory of the shipboard experience. More so than the fire at sea :( :eek:

I'm hopeful that the ship problems were rectified in drydock, and that the stewards are receiving the training and/or help they need. I will definitely review when I get back! :)

Archived