Wedding on Celebrity Cruise Lines

Has anyone had the experience of a Celebrity Cruise wedding.

Just in the beginning stages and would like some input.

Wedding to be on the Summit in February 2011 out of San Juan

Save the day invitation wording would help.

Past brides would like your advise

Kathy

Our DD is also in the beginning stages of planning her X wedding. She will be married by the Captain on 7/19/2011 on the Summit. She's already booked with The Wedding Experience (mandatory if you're marrying onboard by the Captain). She's also booked her cabin (and we've booked ours). We're all meeting with a TA this week- although he's already done a lot of work for us (getting details from X, setting up a block of cabins, etc).

July 2011 seems so far away- but DD found that she's the second bride to book for her day (on her ship). Only 2 or 3 weddings are allowed each day- so don't delay if you want a specific day on your cruise.

If you'll be married off the ship (at a port, obviously LOL), you can be more flexible.

Hopefully we'll both hear from experienced X brides!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I'm getting married on a Celebrity cruise this November! The cruise leaves from Miami and ports in Jamaica and Grand Cayman on the ship Century. We're getting married on the last day at sea by the ships captain. We're working with a destination wedding planner here in Toronto, and she has been a HUGE help!

Welcome- your first post with Cruise Critic! Have you cruised before? My DD will be married on the Summit in July 2011; the OP will be married in Feb 2011. Between those two brides, I'm sure they will have lots of questions for you since your wedding is so close.

How has your experience with The Wedding Experience been so far? Any problems? DD has booked with them (basic package so far) but we're using a TA for everything else.

We took a tour of the Summit last Sunday (change-over day; arranged by the TA). We only spoke briefly with the onboard wedding coordinator, but did find out that she frequently books wedding into Michael's Club (available most days between 11 AM and 3 PM) or Revelations (the nightclub on Deck 11- used to be called the Bar at the Edge of the Earth or something like that). We wanted to see both venues, plus places to hold a welcome party, reception, etc. Also, some of the guests had questions about the staterooms, etc.

DD also set up a wedding website through The Knot (dot com)- very helpful for her guests! It's linked to the TA's site.

Save the Date cards went out yesterday-

Bride's full name

and

Groom's full name

will be getting married on

Tuesday, July 19. 2011

aboard the Celebrity Summit

For details, visit our website:

www dot Etc

The cards she picked have a cruise ship at the top. I forget the company (an online one that she found at one of the wedding sites).

Still not decided on invitations yet. Of course, with a cruiseship wedding, you know who's coming by who's booking cabins!

JerseyGem ~ thank you! Yes, I have cruised before, but only once! It was a short one with Carnival. My fiance and I went last summer, it was our first vacation together, and neither of us had been on a cruise before. We both really enjoyed it. We decided to get married on a cruise because we wanted to do something different. We know a lot of people who have done destination weddings, but no one who has gotten married on a cruise!

We haven't dealt directly with TWE, we've only gone through our TA and she has been really good. I'm really glad that we decided to go with her as I doubt we would have gotten what we wanted without her help! So far we have approximately 40 guests, though we are expecting that number to change by the end of August.

We didn't send out formal invitations. What we did send was by email and it was like a Word document with all the info, pricing, itineray, etc, as well as our TA's contact info. She had made it for us. Like you said, we know who is coming because they have booked cabins.

As for the big day, we're trying to get the latest slot for the ceremony (not sure if there are any other weddings on the same day). After the ceremony we plan on having a one-hour cocktail hour with open bar and hot and cold canapes. We will also have lots of time to take pictures (we are considering bringing our own photographer) before our dinner reception. We are still working out the details of the dinner.

Right now we are working on getting all of our documentation ready for the marriage license. This is more complicated than I thought!! My fiance's birth certificate is in French, so we need to get that translated and certified on top of everything else. There seems to be such a small window for submitting everything, they have to receive it no later than 10 weeks before the sail date, but no earlier than 3 months before the wedding day. That leaves a window of approximately 2 weeks.

Really nice that you got to take a tour of your ship! We won't be able to do that, but I'm not too worried. I'm sure everything will work out fine.

I'm reallt interested in hearing all about your experience! Silly question, but what does "DD" stand for? Still trying to pick up the lingo...

Hello! I am just off the Celebrity Equinox and we were married at port in Santorini (June 11th). I will be writing a detailed review, but at this point I'll say this...our honeymoon onboard the ship was absolutely wonderful! It was perfect. Our wedding, on the other hand, almost ruined our trip because of the inadequate staff at TWE. If possible, book it on the island yourself or on the ship, you would have better luck with them. Find a coordinator wherever, but do NOT use TWE. Just to give you some info...our musicians did not show up, which were part of our package and our coordinator on land was the most incompetent person I've ever seen. Not to mention that we paid almost $5,000 for Celebrity to do it (since its in Europe) and there was nothing there except 2 tables...the ceremony was worth about $200. I'm going to battle with them. So I'll keep you posted, but feel free to ask me any questions.

First DD is Dear Daughter (DH is Dear Husband or Dar- Husband as needed LOL). TWE is The Wedding Experience, which is the company that many cruise lines use to do weddings.

Conbon78- looking forward to your review! You're not the only one who had issues with TWE- lots of negative comments on the boards. That's why we're only using them for the absolute minimum- using a TA for the group booking for the cabins, welcome party, reception-dinner, etc.

Rubiksgirl- I didn't realize that you could be married onboard by the Captain and not go through TWE. I wish we had known that! They're supposed to help with all the paper work (for the Malta wedding license, etc). Is your TA helping with that also? Does your TA have a contact on the ship- or could they be contacting through TWE? Have you heard what time slots will be offered on your wedding day? From what we've been told (so far), this won't be determined until a few weeks before the cruise. DD is the second bride to book for that day (three max), so depending on how many guests each bride has, the Captain's work schedule, venue availability, etc, the exact time and location will be almost a last minute surprise! Very frustrating to not be able to plan in advance!

Hopefully Kathy will be back (the first poster here- AKA the OP- Original Poster) to tell us how her plans are progressing!

JerseyGem ~ Our TA is going through TWE for the ceremony. I personally haven't dealt with them directly, I've only talked to our TA, but I know she has been communicating with them. We are in the process of getting all our documentation ready, and its been very frustrating. I had just started getting some of the legal documents (which cost $$ to get) that TWE had originally said we needed. But now I just got word that they changed the requirements for Canadian applicants, so basically spent $$ for nothing... very frustrating! Another problem we just ran into is that we were planning on having a cocktail hour with open bar right after the ceremony but TWE is saying there is a limit of 44 people for that and we may possibly have more people than that coming. Our TA is saying that they are VERY by the book (TWE that is) and are not making any exceptions. Our TA does have a contact on the ship and she is working with them for the reception thankfully. I don't know what we would do without her!! As for the reception they said either 11am or 2pm, we're trying to get the 2pm slot. But like you said I think we'll find out only a week or two before we go. Thanks for the help with the lingo!

conbon78 ~ I am looking forward to reading your review! I'm sorry to hear that things didn't go so well for the ceremony, any tips you have will be greatly appreciated!! Glad that you enjoyed the ship for your honeymoon though!

Rubiksgirl- DD is also finding that TWE is strict with limits on the number of guests. And it's too soon to even know a decent estimate of her guests. She has sent out Save the Date cards but hasn't chosen wedding invitations yet. Our TA has a group booking through 11/1- after that, the cabins and rates will be whatever is left (going through X). But since the final payment isn't due until 5/1/11, I don't think we can finalize the number of guests until then! And, like you, DD finds herself possibly having too many guests for a cocktail party reception or the buffet reception through TWE. So she's trying to book a restaurant for the evening of the ceremony as a group event (not a TWE event) and calling that the reception. It won't be exclusive (others will be in the area), but it's at least guaranteed that we can all be together that night.

You have a great advantage in that your TA has a contact on the ship. The TWE people don't know anything about cruising (or what happens and is available on each ship).

Good luck with all the paperwork- keep us informed as your plans progress.

Lynn

Sorry for not being online I have been very busy.

I noticed that you said something about documents for Canadians changing. Can you elaborate.

Do you know anything about the Certificate of No Impediment.

I cannot believe that you have to have the long birth certificate that the small one will not due.

Have you got all your legal documents done yet. My daughter is trying to figure out if they can be signed by a lawyer more than 3 months from the wedding.

Wedding is also in November

Would appreciate any input

Kathy

Congratulations.

My daughter was suppose to be getting married on the Summit in February 2011 but they have decided since they are already booked on the Solstice in November, that they would get married then instead of February since anyone going will already be on the November cruise and then they can go again in February for an actual Honeymoon.

Love your signature for cruise critic.

Kathy ~ Yes, I know all about the certificate of non-impediment. This is what has changed for Canadians. What your daughter and her fiance will need to get is called a Notice of Search Marriage Certificate (according to Katie from TWE). DO NOT get a "statement in lieu of certificate of no impediment to marriage abroad" which is what we were originally told to get (this is what Canada has instead of the Certificate of Non-Impediment). Go to your province's website and search for it, its a provincial thing not a federal thing. This document must be authenticated for use abroad.

As for the birth certificates, they have to include the parents names, you need to provide certified copies that have been authenticated for use abroad. To get them (and the Notice of Search Marriage) authenticated for use abroad, if you are not near Ottawa (where you can just go to the place and they will do it while you wait), google Red Seal Notary, they locations across Canada, and they can get it done for you (for a fee).

I believe its the Declaration on Oath that has to be signed no more than three months before the date of the marriage. As far as we know the three month thing is true, and we are waiting to do this.

We do not have everything ready yet, but we're working on it! We just applied for the Notice of Search Marriage. We just got my fiance's birth certificate translated (he was born in Quebec so its in French, and everything you submit must be in either Maltese or English). We already have the certified copies of our birth certificates and once we get the Notice of Search Marriage we will get them authenticated for use abroad. Once we get the Declaration on Oath done we will submit everything. Its a very tight window, as they have to receive everything no later than 10 weeks prior to sail date, but no more than 3 months before the wedding date. This gives us a two week window to get everything to them.

Which cruise is your daughter getting married on?

Lynn ~ thank goodness our TA has a contact on the ship! I really don't think we would have gone through with everything if it wasn't for her!

I will keep you guys posted on our progress!!

My daughter is getting married on the Celebrity Solstice

I did the marriage licence search today and got that sent off. They said it could be 7 weeks.

We are in Brantford, Ontario(Wayne Gretzky's home) but my future son-in-law has family in Ottawa so they are hoping that someone can take it to the minister of affairs to get everything apostilled for free.

I checked red seal and are they ever expensive. They will be a last resort.

Katie has been very helpful. I am a TA and this is my first wedding group and as well this is a group within my bigger group. I am getting very stressed over all of this.

Keep in touch on your progress. The kids just applied for there long birth certificates today so that is going to set us back a bit.

Keeping fingers crossed for you as well as them.

;)

Kathy ~ don't stress too much!! But I know what you mean, I was also getting super stressed out over all of this. I didn't think it was going to be so complicated!

Now we are waiting to receive the Notice of Search Marriage. I hope it comes sooner than 7 weeks! I hate doing everything at the last minute! I am also waiting to find out if the translation we got of my fiance's birth certificate has to be certified or notarized. I hate all this waiting and not knowing!

I live in north Toronto, and I am up in Ottawa quite a bit. If you need help getting the apostilles, let me know. If there's a way I can help, I would be happy to!

* Update on the documents stuff *

I just got an email from Katie at TWE. Because Canada does not do the Apostille, we apparently have to get all the documents that require the Apostille authenticated for use abroad by the Department of Foreign Affairs, and then you have to bring these documents to the Consul General of Malta in Canada to get them legalized.

Also, for the Notice of Search Marriage, its doesn't take that long to get. My fiance just got his in the mail the other day, so I'd say it was less than 2 weeks from when he applied for it.

To our neighbors to the North- TWE and Malta are certainly making you all "jump through hoops" to get all the proper docs. Good luck with all the paperwork! So far, DD has had very little contact with TWE (other than booking with them). We've started looking at all the docs required of USA citizens; so far it doesn't look as confusing as your requirements! (Unless one party has been married before- which is fortunately not our situation.)

Have either of you confirmed with TWE or X what they mean by "live music" for the ceremony and reception? Do you have a choice?

Lynn (Mom of Bride)

To our neighbors to the North- TWE and Malta are certainly making you all "jump through hoops" to get all the proper docs. Good luck with all the paperwork! So far, DD has had very little contact with TWE (other than booking with them). We've started looking at all the docs required of USA citizens; so far it doesn't look as confusing as your requirements! (Unless one party has been married before- which is fortunately not our situation.)

Have either of you confirmed with TWE or X what they mean by "live music" for the ceremony and reception? Do you have a choice?

Lynn (Mom of Bride)

Thank you for the offer.

I assume you have to do the same as we do for your documents.

Will you be taking your marriage search, birth certificate, and passport copy to Ottawa to have them Stamped.

My daughters lawyer said that she could stamp everything here. Now I am really confused.

Where is the Consulate for Malta in Canada?

If you would like to email me directly in regards to this matter my address is

kbutwick@rogers.com It may just be easier than using cruise critic since we have the same situations.

I love your countdown where did you get it.

Kathy ~ we each got our own Notice of Search Marriage. Mine has also arrived. I will email you about all this stuff. The countdown thing is from www.weddingcountdown.com When I got it I just had to create one and that was it, but the last time I went to the site it wasn't really "free" anymore, you had to sign up for something (or something along those lines).

Lynn ~ thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully its not so complicated for your daughter. We haven't inquired about the "live music", but maybe I will. I think we are getting a DJ for our reception.

Archived