Port of Mobile--Renaissance or Hampton Suites ?

FlaGrl4Evr

Thinking of doing a mid-Sept cruise out of Mobile. We would be driving in from Indianapolis. I have tried to research some Park & Cruise hotels near the port. I found both the Renaissance Riverview and the Hampton Suites. Can anyone give me their opinion on either of these hotels or a suggestion on another?

Thank-you. Cari & Rick

Either would be a good choice. They are across the street from each other. The Hampton is next door to my office and is just over a year old. It is nice but it has an open parking lot.

The Renaissance was recently renovated and would have rooms with a view of the port. It also uses a covered parking garage rather than the open lot. I park there daily.

Those would be your best choices IMHO.

Either would be a good choice. They are across the street from each other. The Hampton is next door to my office and is just over a year old. It is nice but it has an open parking lot.

The Renaissance was recently renovated and would have rooms with a view of the port. It also uses a covered parking garage rather than the open lot. I park there daily.

Sorry to go off topic - but since you work in downtown Mobile, I have a question for you...

Have you ever eaten breakfast at Spot of Tea? If so, did you like it?

I'm planning on taking my girls to eat there the morning we sail out. We're staying at the Admiral Semmes and plan on parking at the City garage.

Also - another question for you...

Can you see the ship real well from Fort Conde? I am planning on taking my girls there in the morning and when they spot the ship, I will surprise them and tell them that we're going on a cruise!!! But, if the view is blocked, then I'll have to come up with another plan.

Thanks,

Ashley :)

Sorry to go off topic - but since you work in downtown Mobile, I have a question for you...

Have you ever eaten breakfast at Spot of Tea? If so, did you like it?

I'm planning on taking my girls to eat there the morning we sail out. We're staying at the Admiral Semmes and plan on parking at the City garage.

Also - another question for you...

Can you see the ship real well from Fort Conde? I am planning on taking my girls there in the morning and when they spot the ship, I will surprise them and tell them that we're going on a cruise!!! But, if the view is blocked, then I'll have to come up with another plan.

Thanks,

I've never eaten breakfast there but do eat lunch there occasionally. I've heard that they have a really good breakfast though and it looks good on the menu. Lunch has always been really good.

I am not sure how well you can see the ship from Fort Conde. I don't know if anything would block the view from that angle. You could always walk to Riverside Park which gives you a really good view of the ship. It is next door to the Convention Center on Water St and is right on the river. You are only about 150 yards from it there. From the Admiral Semmes you just walk East down Government St. past the Exploreum(good activity for kids too) then cross Water St. Only about 4 blocks down.

Thank-you so much for the great info. It's always nice to have an insider's view of things when one is not familiar with a city. Appreciate that. Cari :)

I've never eaten breakfast there but do eat lunch there occasionally. I've heard that they have a really good breakfast though and it looks good on the menu. Lunch has always been really good.

I am not sure how well you can see the ship from Fort Conde. I don't know if anything would block the view from that angle. You could always walk to Riverside Park which gives you a really good view of the ship. It is next door to the Convention Center on Water St and is right on the river. You are only about 150 yards from it there. From the Admiral Semmes you just walk East down Government St. past the Exploreum(good activity for kids too) then cross Water St. Only about 4 blocks down.

Great! Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it! I LOVE these boards!!!

We have park/cruise reservations at the Renaissance but our vehicle does not fit in parking garages. Our plan was to park at the convention center but last time I checked they are not allowing people to park there, only oil spill clean up crews? Would we be able to park our vehicle at the Hampton? Do they have parking permits that hang in the window? Or do you have other suggestions on where we could possibly park? Our cruise is only a 4 day.

Thanks,

Brittany

We have park/cruise reservations at the Renaissance but our vehicle does not fit in parking garages. Our plan was to park at the convention center but last time I checked they are not allowing people to park there, only oil spill clean up crews? Would we be able to park our vehicle at the Hampton? Do they have parking permits that hang in the window? Or do you have other suggestions on where we could possibly park? Our cruise is only a 4 day.

Thanks,

Brittany

The Hampton Inn parking probably wouldn't work for you either since the parking lot is a little tight for larger vehicles. There are quite a few open "pay by the day" lots here in downtown with most of them being managed by Central Parking (251) 433-6263 You might call them, tell them what kind of vehicle you have and get them to give you suggestions/pricing.

The Convention Center is being used for BP/Oil Spill headquarters so you probably would not be able to park there. They are overflowing into the lot next door.

Another option that might work is the Mobile Civic Center Parking Lot which isn't far from the cruise terminal.

There is also the optional cruise parking but it is under the interstate and I personally wouldn't leave my vehicle there.

The Hampton Inn parking probably wouldn't work for you either since the parking lot is a little tight for larger vehicles. There are quite a few open "pay by the day" lots here in downtown with most of them being managed by Central Parking (251) 433-6263 You might call them, tell them what kind of vehicle you have and get them to give you suggestions/pricing.

The Convention Center is being used for BP/Oil Spill headquarters so you probably would not be able to park there. They are overflowing into the lot next door.

Another option that might work is the Mobile Civic Center Parking Lot which isn't far from the cruise terminal.

There is also the optional cruise parking but it is under the interstate and I personally wouldn't leave my vehicle there.

I called Central Parking and the lady told me there was a lot across from the Ramada. Which would be better/safer for our vehicle -- The Civic Center or the Parking lot at 251 Government Street Mobile, AL 36602?

I called Central Parking and the lady told me there was a lot across from the Ramada. Which would be better/safer for our vehicle -- The Civic Center or the Parking lot at 251 Government Street Mobile, AL 36602?

The Civic Center. It is city owned and will have security, as it is the designated overflow lot for the cruise terminal. There is a chance that if you wanted to park at the terminal, that you would end up there anyway. They have a shuttle bus running between there and the terminal.

The Civic Center. It is city owned and will have security, as it is the designated overflow lot for the cruise terminal. There is a chance that if you wanted to park at the terminal, that you would end up there anyway. They have a shuttle bus running between there and the terminal.

I am not sure how they compare on pricing but I would also choose the Civic Center - it is also closer to the cruise terminal.

We stayed at the Renaissance before our cruise last August and absolutely loved it! Beautiful hotel and good service. Can't compare it to the Hampton Suites, but I would definitely stay at the Renaissance in the future.

I did a review with some pics on TripAdvisor, if you're interested. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g30709-d113287-r38085661-Renaissance_Riverview_Plaza_Hotel-Mobile_Alabama.html

Have fun on your cruise, from a fellow Hoosier!

We stayed at the Renaissance before our cruise last August and absolutely loved it! Beautiful hotel and good service. Can't compare it to the Hampton Suites, but I would definitely stay at the Renaissance in the future.

I did a review with some pics on TripAdvisor, if you're interested. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g30709-d113287-r38085661-Renaissance_Riverview_Plaza_Hotel-Mobile_Alabama.html

Have fun on your cruise, from a fellow Hoosier!

Wow, thanks for the review and the pictures. I love the view of the ship from the hotel; what an added plus. Cari & Rick

We stayed at the Hampton Suites in December. Loved it there! Everyone was friendly and the room was GREAT! We had a nice view and a balcony to sit on. There was a Quiznos in the hotel so we were able to grab the kids a quick dinner without having to go out. We did the park and cruise package and our car was fine in the open lot. We also drive a large vehicle and had no problem with the lot.

You can't go wrong with either choice. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn and it was great for location, comfort, service, and parking. However, the view of the ship is not that great - you have to stay on a high floor facing the water and crane your neck. The Renaissance has roof access with a terrific view of the pier/ship. And if you are a state employee, the Renaissance rates are exceptionally good.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Renaissance Riverview in December and had a great time. I asked for a room with a view of the cruise terminal. When I woke up on the day of our cruise I got to see our ship coming in. It is a beautiful hotel which is decorated to look like a cruise ship.

We stayed at the Renaissance Riverview in December and had a great time. I asked for a room with a view of the cruise terminal. When I woke up on the day of our cruise I got to see our ship coming in. It is a beautiful hotel which is decorated to look like a cruise ship.

Please tell me not a Joe Farcus design. :eek:

Stayed at the Renaissance last August. Loved it. Their shuttle dropped us off and picked us up. Covered parking was great. We had request a room facing the port. I have attached some pictures.

2009_0828_231317AA.jpg.cd5ea561ec205424f8ce2c774b40581f.jpg

2009_0828_231329AA.jpg.9caf11f3cbb569fcc84b9dbac1a8b605.jpg

2009_0829_105243AA.jpg.0286543bf8c9dd11f2fa112a651c8c37.jpg

2009_0829_105301AA.jpg.0920a9143b0c7b696809f49592fa2754.jpg

Archived