Banned List - call from Carnival

Ambrosia64

No I haven't - he can bring his CPAP machine but he can not bring a power strip for it.

The rules don't say they are permitted, they said they are permitted if 'used with due caution' - which nobody is able to define.

he can bring the cord and fan if it is medially needed.

No, he lost but it would have been cheaper for us to settle...

:rolleyes:

Now you've hit the nail on the head MACH as to why people pick contracts apart. They know that the "deep pockets" will look at settling before defending in a lot of cases. Their philosphy is half a loaf is better than no loaf.

As a risk manager, I make those decisions far too many times when I would rather fight than give in. But lawyers are far more keen to the tricks and processes to drag a lawsuit out to where it gets financially better to settle than continue the fight and it no longer is a legal question about who's right or wrong, but an economical one in which the question "which will cost less" becomes the question at hand (especially with some of the crazy and huge verdicts courts are handing out these days). That's the day plantiff's lawyers live for and it will continue and only get worse with courts entertaining frivilous lawsuits. It's the world in which we live...get used to it!

If the rules said that - no problem - I don't use any electronics that are in that condition. But the rules do not say that. They can't even get what they are telling Mach, what the website says, and what the reps at HQ say to all agree.

It does state that if the items are deemed to be a fire hazard they will be taken, but I agree with you that there is no set rule as to what would constitute the items being deemed a hazard. It seems to be up to the individual screener to make that determination...and although we would hope common sense would prevail, we all know that it can be lacking at times.

Ambrosia64- you need to do what you feel is best for you and your family. If that means looking at a different cruiseline, then please don't feel intimidated by posters here. It is your money...you should spend it however you feel best. If you feel that it may be too risky to cruise CCL because of the fact that they may not allow the CPAP (which I totally think would be allowed), I wish you the best. Please have a wonderful cruise- no matter what line you go with.

Take care...

Everybody is so overthinking this.The very same thing could happen on any cruise line (I don't care what anyone cruises).The only way to know you can for sure without a doubt take this stuff is take a land vacation.Has been said numerous times on here and Carnival's own forum what is allowed.If you don't think you can trust them,don't go.I have no fears my flat iron or anything else will be taken.

Seems to me it would be against the law to take a medically necessary apparatus from someone.

So I had emailed Carnival about the banned items list, got a response, wasn't happy - asked them to bump to a supervisor. He just called.

Fans are banned - unless battery operated. Who wants to drag that much batteries on a ship - especially if you have to fly in. And why is a curling iron or cellphone ok plugged into an extension cord but a fan is not?

You can't take a power strip, but you can take an extension cord. He acknowleged that a power strip is actually safer than an extension cord, but said that is policy.

He said it was US law that power strips were banned. I asked if that was new law and he said he didn't know. I told him I wanted to know what the law was as I wasn't buyin that - he said he'd have to look it up - I told him to look it up - so then he told me it was Carnival policy - so I asked "it's not really a law, just Carnival policy right?" and he said yes. Bottom line - he lied.

He said they do monitor cruise critic. He said the posters that said things have been confiscated are lying. I pointed out to him the vagueness of the policy "when used with proper caution" allows whomever to confiscate whatever they want and we know how well that works out. He said that 'when used with proper caution' means not left plugged in, not too many things plugged in etc. I told him the policy does not say that and it needs to be clear what 'proper caution' means and what violates it.

I asked him to put ALL of this in writing to me - continuing the email string. He refused. I said I wanted it in writing - as we have a contract and they expect me to live up to my end of it - it should be in writing- not verbal. He insisted he would not put anything in writing.

Luckily my cruise isn't til next March - hopefully enough people will complain about this nonsense that they'll go back to reasonable rules - if not I'll just cancel and go to Royal Caribbean.

So for all of you that don't like all your valuable electronics 'confiscated' - speak up!

Just my .02 worth but, in all of my Carnival cruises I have never had the need for a power strip or a fan. Charge your batteries of power your laptop, you really don't need to do both at the same time

How many fires have ever been started by a power strip in a cabin? In fact, where has there been any electrical fire started by a passenger in a cabin? They allow smoking in the cabin for goodness sakes!

Well since you are the fire and litigation expert, why dont you get your own cruise line and give free power strips and fans to everyone ! In the meantime, Carnival has a right to handle their business the way they see fit. (or at least until Obama gets a hold of it !)

So I had emailed Carnival about the banned items list, got a response, wasn't happy - asked them to bump to a supervisor. He just called.

Fans are banned - unless battery operated. Who wants to drag that much batteries on a ship - especially if you have to fly in. And why is a curling iron or cellphone ok plugged into an extension cord but a fan is not?

You can't take a power strip, but you can take an extension cord. He acknowleged that a power strip is actually safer than an extension cord, but said that is policy.

He said it was US law that power strips were banned. I asked if that was new law and he said he didn't know. I told him I wanted to know what the law was as I wasn't buyin that - he said he'd have to look it up - I told him to look it up - so then he told me it was Carnival policy - so I asked "it's not really a law, just Carnival policy right?" and he said yes. Bottom line - he lied.

He said they do monitor cruise critic. He said the posters that said things have been confiscated are lying. I pointed out to him the vagueness of the policy "when used with proper caution" allows whomever to confiscate whatever they want and we know how well that works out. He said that 'when used with proper caution' means not left plugged in, not too many things plugged in etc. I told him the policy does not say that and it needs to be clear what 'proper caution' means and what violates it.

I asked him to put ALL of this in writing to me - continuing the email string. He refused. I said I wanted it in writing - as we have a contract and they expect me to live up to my end of it - it should be in writing- not verbal. He insisted he would not put anything in writing.

Luckily my cruise isn't til next March - hopefully enough people will complain about this nonsense that they'll go back to reasonable rules - if not I'll just cancel and go to Royal Caribbean.

So for all of you that don't like all your valuable electronics 'confiscated' - speak up!

How many other cruise lines have you checked out? this may be on every ship. For a foolish 'safty-issue' :rolleyes:

Luv's Crusin'

• 2 weeks later...
Oh wow.As of last week this was all settled.Sounds like someone has their wires crossed.

Poor Mach,this is never going to go away.Pretty official coming from the "big guys".Fans,power cords etc are allowed as long as they are in good working order and not abused.We even got our higher wattage hair dryers back.

I think the person that told you all this is an "imposter".Check up on him.This is going on way to long.

I plan on taking a copy of the "list".[/quote]

This is probably a very good idea.......i will too

Lets put things in perspective. Tomorrow is Memorial Day and on this string people are going crazy and whining about not being able to bring fans and other assorted electronic devices. Meanwhile, there are people out there who have to deal with real problems...losing a loved one in a war is a prime one. I served in Vietnam back in 1969 as a medic...my boss once asked me why I never seemed to get excited and scream and whine when things go crazy at work. I told him it was all about perspective...I had seen too much in that crazy year to even concern myself with the craziness today.

So, for those who need a fan...go on a land vacation until you can live without the blowing in your face or the "white noise." Carnival needs to protect itself and their customers from those who think electrical cords can be repaired with duct tape.

I understand the reasoning, but I hate that heating pads are not allowed. I have back problems and if I can spend some time on a heating pad between an excursion and dinner, I am usually good to go. The infirmary usually just has one, and I've never been able to get it. I wish they would put microwaves in the laundry facilities and I could use one of those things you just heat up. Oh well, I guess I will have to pack more pain pills. Good thing I don't drink! :D

Lets put things in perspective. Tomorrow is Memorial Day and on this string people are going crazy and whining about not being able to bring fans and other assorted electronic devices. Meanwhile, there are people out there who have to deal with real problems...losing a loved one in a war is a prime one. I served in Vietnam back in 1969 as a medic...my boss once asked me why I never seemed to get excited and scream and whine when things go crazy at work. I told him it was all about perspective...I had seen too much in that crazy year to even concern myself with the craziness today.

So, for those who need a fan...go on a land vacation until you can live without the blowing in your face or the "white noise." Carnival needs to protect itself and their customers from those who think electrical cords can be repaired with duct tape.

Yea sure, but go ahead and bring those cigarrettes as they are never a fire hazard even if they started a fire on a princess ship. Laptops and the internet cafe should all be banned as its a hazard. The joke is on all of you if you think they are banning fans and other items for a safety reason. Use some common sense.;)

Yea sure, but go ahead and bring those cigarrettes as they are never a fire hazard even if they started a fire on a princess ship. Laptops and the internet cafe should all be banned as its a hazard. The joke is on all of you if you think they are banning fans and other items for a safety reason. Use some common sense.;)

Are they doing it to increase the batteried powered on board fan sales? Please help me apparantly I don't have the common sense to know why they are banning those items can you help and enlighten me. Not taking a pro or con stance on this issue. Just don't know what nefarious reason you are insunuating.

So you are complaining already. You might as well cancel your cruise now . I envision you will be writing a bad review next April about how bad Carnival is and how you'll never be back. I'm willing to bet on that right now. Go to Royal and see what thier list of items is. Then you can go to NCL and see what thier list is. There are reasons these items are on the list.

Hi,

Last time we looked they were not running a long extension cord from the land to the ship...So let's assume they generate power internally. Accordingly it is a fact of life there is a use capacity the system. Also consider the result of overloads can frequently be fire; in my mind the biggest danger to ship at sea. Also consider modern thrust ( Azapod?) systems run, I believe, on electric power

With this in mind picture the number of passengers on board ALL bringing and using a power bar.

So restrictions have to in place.

I understand the reasoning, but I hate that heating pads are not allowed. I have back problems and if I can spend some time on a heating pad between an excursion and dinner, I am usually good to go. The infirmary usually just has one, and I've never been able to get it. I wish they would put microwaves in the laundry facilities and I could use one of those things you just heat up. Oh well, I guess I will have to pack more pain pills. Good thing I don't drink! :D

Hey, missabbi, I have back issues as well. Have you tried the Thermacare heat patches? If it's heat you need, these may help--I've used them before and they're quite effective and you don't have to heat them up. :)

We both know they arent going to take away your laptop and blackberry, lets be reasonable, the language is there to protect the corporation and give them ultimate say as to who comes aboard, after all it is their boat. Laptop with torn cords or something strange might be taken, but until that happens to ANYONE lets not jump to some conclusion that the evil corporation is out to get ya

Laptop owners would be well advised to be a bit more concerned with what Homeland Security has decided they can do with laptops belonging to people entering the US.

I have to admit... when I first read the title of this thread I thought you meant that you were added to the 'banned from cruising Carnival' for being naughty list! :o

I too bring a small fan along for use in the cabin. I use it whenever it gets to feeling stuffy... usually after a shower.

I posted this on the sticky thread. First, I think there is a lot of "misinformation" floating around these threads :(

I just got back from the Dream. I took on: power strip, extension cord, electric fan, curling iron, flat iron, laptop and assorted charging devices.

EVERYTHING make it to my cabin just fine. I think everyone should stop worrying and perpetuating this issue. Unless you run into some rouge security checker that is. Bring the official Carnival list of what you are allowed and if someone gives you a problem, simply show them the list.

:rolleyes:

stop sweating the small **** and look forward to enjoying your cruise

why would you need a fan or power strip anyway.

And geez if you all cant afford a few drinks on your cruise stay home

I dont get the drift that he is sweating the small stuff or is pissed about not bringing a fan. Its the rules that are not clearly defined and therefore can be interpreted any way by each individual. If a supervisor cannot clearly define the rules and refuses to back up what he is saying in writing, then that is a concern. Inconsistancy is the primary issue. While I am not going to cancel a cruise over it, at the same time dont want items such as a curling iron confiscated simply because someone interpreted an obscur rule the wrong way.

Archived