Specialty restaurant question

Cruisenewbie85

1. Do they charge children the same surcharge of $30 as they charge the adults?

2. If so, and my DD of 9 years doesn't want to dine with us, can my wife and I dine in a specialty restaurant and have her hang out in the kids club where they would feed her?

3. If I make specialty restaurant reservations right now in advance of our cruise in June, will my credit card be hit right away with the $30pp charge?

Many thanks.

There are no children's rates or menus in the specialty restaurants on the non-Solstice class ships, so I suspect it is the same on Solstice.

You should know that children under 12 are generally not permitted in the specialty restaurants. Here's a quote from Celebrity's website:

Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest Restaurant and Tuscan Grille (onboard our Solstice-class ships) where children of any age will be accommodated. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Additionally, onboard our Solstice-class ships, children that are booked in suites that are at least 12 years old will be accommodated in Blu when dining with an adult, based on availability only. Please note that any suite guests that dine in Blu will be charged a recommended gratuity of $5 per guest.

The specialty restaurants are truly "special", and the meal can last well over 2-hours, which is a long time for many adults - and even worse for a kid! Your child will have a much better time at kid's camp that night, and you'll have a great evening! I've often seen groups of kids with counselors eating in the pizza & pasta buffet in the evening. Your child won't starve (I don't think that's possible on a cruise ship ;) )

My credit card has always been charged upon booking. If you want a prime night or time then it is probably worthwhile to book now to be sure you can get a table. Some restaurants book up completely in advance. They don't fill every table in order to provide for better service.

Enjoy your time on Celebrity!

I am sailing on the Eclipse tomorrow & made reservations in the speciality restaurants a month ago. My credit card was debited shortly after that. At least the payment is out of the way. I find it helps with budgeting.

1. Do they charge children the same surcharge of $30 as they charge the adults?

2. If so, and my DD of 9 years doesn't want to dine with us, can my wife and I dine in a specialty restaurant and have her hang out in the kids club where they would feed her?

3. If I make specialty restaurant reservations right now in advance of our cruise in June, will my credit card be hit right away with the $30pp charge?

Many thanks.

Answers.......

1. Yes, same surcharge. The reason being that if that child were not occupying that cover then a full fee-paying adult would.

2. Sending her to the kids club is another option. On our last RCCL cruise we fed the kids in the buffet first then sent them to the clubs while we enjoyed a quiet romantic dinner. Not sure whether they'll feed them for you though.

3. Yes, the charge appears immediately on your cc. Depending on when you purchase (and your cc provider) you may get up to the usual 6 weeks to pay it off.

On the Solstice-class ships children are welcomed in all the speciality restaurants except Murano where there is an age restriction. In fact we have booked our kids into Tuscan Grille and Qsine on our upcoming Eclipse cruise.

Hope this helps.

Justin

Archived