Cruise terminal to airport - San Juan

Evilmumrah

I now believe you are right! We thought about food poisoning at first because my husband and I both has a fruit smoothie in Old San Juan before we went to the airport. But, after we got home several people who were near us got sick also....so I guess we did have something. We are feeling better now, but my 83 year old dad got it and has been very sick.

That was the sickest all of us have been in a long time. We finally got to Dallas around 11 that night and we all had fevers and were very sick with with our stomachs. Had to take Monday off of work it was so bad. We were all also extrememly tired for like a week afterward. I'm so happy we are all over that. It was awful. It was weird how quick it hit all of us too. We walked off the ship, all of us were fine. On the ride to the airport my sister started feeling sick, then my mom, then dad and I.

The saving grace was that at least it was the last day and didn't happen mid way through the cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I flew in/out of San Juan about 2 weeks ago...and it went super fast, no problems. I had also heard about the airport being crazy...but it was one of the fastest airports I have ever moved thru. We departed on a Sunday as well...we had an 11:02am flight and got thru usda, checked the bags, and passed thru security very quickly - ended up sitting at our gate @ 9:05am - two hours to spare.

We cruised RCCL - and they seemed very willing to work with you if you have an early flight. If that happens to be your cruise line, let me know and I can tell you step by step how the last day will go...

Of course, anything can go wrong...thats why everyone tends to get into port the day before their ship departs. But our experience was excellent! We also had to get back on Sunday due to work schedules...you might also want to check to see how many ships will be in San Juan the day of your return. I believe ours only had the one ship...so it was pretty easy to flow thru all of the checkpoints.

Hi there!

Do you think a 9:30 am flight is possible to take?

I thought..if the ship decks at 6am, by 7 we should be out (carrying our own luggage-and we only have 1 piece- we are also in a consierge cabin , that gives you early debarkation ) by at the very latest 8 we should be at the airport. and we have 1 and an half hours before our flight. And it's a Monday.

I guess I am very optimistic but it seems the later you get off the ship the more connection time you will need.

My wife and I stay at the Best Western Airport both pre and post cruise. Your shuttle will start at the airport on the day of the cruise, most excursions drop you off at the airport so it just works for us. Plus since it is part of the terminal you can walk in and buy any variety of food that a lot of hotels won't offer (fast food type). Some local foods places in the airport and anything else you didn't pick up before. Rooms are bigger than our cabins and it is clean. Don't know what else to say about it.

Hi there!

I thought..if the ship decks at 6am, by 7 we should be out (carrying our own luggage-and we only have 1 piece- we are also in a consierge cabin , that gives you early debarkation ) by at the very latest 8 we should be at the airport. and we have 1 and an half hours before our flight. And it's a Monday.

I guess I am very optimistic but it seems the later you get off the ship the more connection time you will need.

Chances are you are NOT going to get off the ship that soon.......Better make sure you have a later flight.

Hi there!

Monday is bad for traffic in the morning.

Just be prepared to miss your flight at 9:30 am. If you don't mind paying more for another flight because you missed the 9:30 a, flight then go for it.

Lets say you have 50/50 chance of making the flight. It will cost you $1000 to get a another flight if you miss yours. Is it worth the risk?

Just don't complain when you have to pay full one way fares and maybe spend the night. If you have no problem with the possible added costs then go for it.

• 3 weeks later...
I flew in/out of San Juan about 2 weeks ago...and it went super fast, no problems. I had also heard about the airport being crazy...but it was one of the fastest airports I have ever moved thru. We departed on a Sunday as well...we had an 11:02am flight and got thru usda, checked the bags, and passed thru security very quickly - ended up sitting at our gate @ 9:05am - two hours to spare.

We cruised RCCL - and they seemed very willing to work with you if you have an early flight. If that happens to be your cruise line, let me know and I can tell you step by step how the last day will go...

Of course, anything can go wrong...thats why everyone tends to get into port the day before their ship departs. But our experience was excellent! We also had to get back on Sunday due to work schedules...you might also want to check to see how many ships will be in San Juan the day of your return. I believe ours only had the one ship...so it was pretty easy to flow thru all of the checkpoints.

Nice to hear from people that make early flights as opposed to the naysayers that only say it can't be done. We have a very early flight out, also - and I'll be sure to come back on here either way to let people know how it went, whether we made our flight or had to wait for a later one, and if we had to pay extra or whatever.

We plan on flying home the day we get off the ship but plan on an afternoon flight..we will have our bags taken to airport straight from ship so we don't have to tote them around all day. Our problem is finding a flight home that is reasonable...will hold out another month or so(airtran just pulled out of our local airport, ugh)

Archived