Carnival's Overbooked Oversold Liberty Europe

Glorious

Luckily, I always purchase travel insurance within 14 days of booking my cruises. So I guess if we get cancelled, my air would be covered. When we booked, the only availablility for balcony cabins was as a guarantee. I wonder if that makes us more or less likely to be asked to take a bump?

We are on the 9/6 sailing and are wondering if we pay for our cabin in full now and don't wait until final payment is due will that protect us from being bumped? We haven't done our air yet but will in the month or two. Have to check our travel insurance and see if this situation is covered. Until I read of all this a few minutes ago we had never been aware this was a problem. Had no problem like this on our other cruises.

We had to cancel our cruise on the Legend at the last minute a couple of years ago, and we had booked airfare on our own ( it was a good deal $200 RT Albuquerque to FLL) so we lost that. Oh well. I would have rather been out $200 than the whole amount of the cruise. I will never NOT purchase insurance, you never know what will happen.

If Carnival had to bump people, they need to really offer people something good, so there will be people willing to volunteer so nobody feels screwed over. I really like Carnival, and don't really plan on sailing on other lines for now. They would really have to piss me off to make me jump ship. Getting bumped off this European cruise without a good compensation would piss me off enough though.

We were due to go with a group on the transatlantic cruise. Groups usually don't have to pay the full deposit. Carnival told the TA that the full deposit would be needed. That wasn't in our budget plans so we had to drop out. I'm tired of the Carribean and was looking forward to a different itinerary on a Carnival ship. I hope they consider doing it yearly.

After reading this thread last night I went to bed quite stressed. First thing this morning I called my TA and informed her of this "news". I wanted to know if I paid (in full) for our July 20 cruise NOW instead of waiting would it decrease our chances of a bump. I also wanted to know if the fact that Carnival is doing our air and pre-stay helped or increased our chances of not being bumped. She contacted someone in the "europe" dept for carnival and was told that they are still showing cabins available for our sailing (FYI this sailing is no longer available to book thru carnival's web site) and as long as my final payment is maid on time I will be fine. I won't feel comfortable now until I step foot onto the Liberty's deck. I hate the anxiety of all of this!

Tamara, I felt exactly the same way and did the same thing this morning. My agent told me pretty much the same thing, that it is very rare to be bumped and if they are considering you to bump they will contact you and give you the option of taking another cruise with considerable upgrades etc. to make it worth your while. He had never personally heard of anyone getting bumped without their permission and not compensated. So I feel a bit better but as you, will feel much better when I am on the ship in my cabin. We have a guarantee on our cabin so that makes me a little more nervous than if we had an assigned cabin because how can they assign the same cabin to two or three people? On-line there are still eight assigned cabins as well as guaranteed cabins available in our category. I guess time will tell.

At least that's the conclusion I've come to. I think the guy at the travel show was getting a little excited.

Carnival isn't selling any more cabins, and the ones left with agencies out there are more than double what they originally were.

Carnival is supposedly going to be very restrictive as to any changes, transfers, etc. as to do with the Liberty Europe cruises. (eg--if you change a person, the new person will pay the new, now rate--much higher.

I believe if you have a booking number, you have a cabin.

Call you TA to reconfirm.

• Administrators

Carnival Cruise Lines has asked that I share the following *official* information with you:

"Based on [the original] post suggesting that Carnival's Europe cruises on the Liberty are sold out and/or oversold, we want to clarify that there is no truth to that. Further, we are not bumping people from any Med sailings as the previous post suggested. As a matter of fact, every Med cruise on the Liberty has some open space right now and is available for booking. On some sailings, space is fairly limited, but all of the Liberty's Med cruises have cabins available".

I believe this clears up this issue for everyone,

Laura

Isn't it funny that after I started this post with what I was told face to face by a Carnival Regional Sales Manager, and when I formed a reasonable scenario about the Baltimore fiasco, that cabins appear for booking to prove their sales manager wrong. Cabins on my cruise and almost all other dates were soldout before my post. A coincidence? Hum ........

Gloria

Isn't it funny that after I started this post with what I was told face to face by a Carnival Regional Sales Manager, and when I formed a reasonable scenario about the Baltimore fiasco, that cabins appear for booking to prove their sales manager wrong. Cabins on my cruise and almost all other dates were soldout before my post. A coincidence? Hum ........

Gloria

You're kidding right?:confused: Surely you dont think Carnival magically made cabin appear. Do you think they hired Tony Soprano to "fix" the situation:rolleyes: Seems more likely the Sales Manager was mistaken or there was misunderstanding on what exactly he told you.

Archived