New Poll: Who else IS sick of the smugglers....

saturnsc

Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?

• Yes! it's the reason cruise & drink prices have gone up so much
    • No! as I pack another rum runner thank you very much.
    • Indifferent eh, I'm sure there's things that I do that they don't like too
    • I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread...

Like steve said, it says it's prohibited for onboard consumption. ;)

You could always argue that it was rolled in clothes to keep it from breaking or you used rum runners to avoid the glass bottles.

Nope...

Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f). All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...d=CC_Footer_84

Article 4 Section f

The "provided" part in 8f is for the carry on wine/champ.

Nope...

Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f). All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...d=CC_Footer_84

Article 4 Section f

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

This is what he's referring to in 8(f). Your clause does reference this "except as provided for in clause 8(f)"

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

This is what he's referring to in 8(f). Your clause does reference this "except as provided for in clause 8(f)"

you are partially correct. AS Provided means what they provide to you. They provide to you the ability to:

However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage.

that is what is "provided" in clause 8(f).

that wasnt my point Steve. My point was:

"It does not state bringing alchohol on board is prohibited???"

And yes it does even though you knew it did you said it didnt??

The issue with enforcing it is.... YOU agreed to it. It would be hard to "fight". Especially if they dropped you off at a foriegn port.. :D No I dont think it would EVER happen.

However to not allow you on board at initital embark.... they are fairly well covered there. Especially if you knowingly attempt to "hide" it and or smuggle it on.

That means YOU knew it was not allowed and decided to do it anyway. Yes I would love to see a lawyer try that.

Webe can you have your son look at that? :D

8F Talks about the onboard consumption.

At intitial embark,they would have to scan and open the bag in front of you otherwise they would not be able to deny you boarding. We still have the question of which guests bag as well.Also they would need to verify it is in fact booze,if they did not then how do they know you are violating a policy?:confused: It could be wine.:D

Steve

you are partially correct. AS Provided means what they provide to you. They provide to you the ability to:

However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage.

that is what is "provided" in clause 8(f).

Yes, and it says you cannot bring alcohol for on board consumption.

You could argue that you are saving it for the next port. You'll lose, but you can argue it.

8F Talks about the onboard consumption.

At intitial embark,they would have to scan and open the bag in front of you otherwise they would not be able to deny you boarding. We still have the question of which guests bag as well.Also they would need to verify it is in fact booze,if they did not then how do they know you are violating a policy?:confused: It could be wine.:D

Steve

Im with you steve. You have to carry it on. If it is in a closed/checked bag and within the "allowed" limit you would still be violatin 8f as it has to be carry on.

If it is in a closed bag that bag is labled as yours are you suggesting they would plant booze on your luggage just to get you off the ship?

For you Steve I will stand by the check bagged area and help them decide what is booze. Hell Steve thats something YOU should have thought of.

Im going to make a shake. I think Im done. I think no less of any of you. I appreciate the back and forth it was fun. However Im done.... again.. no really this is it this time...

Yes, and it says you cannot bring alcohol for on board consumption.

You could argue that you are saving it for the next port. You'll lose, but you can argue it.

Yup you are right. The previous clause holds no water.

It holds water, except for what's provided for in Section 8(f). ;)

I read and negotiate contracts everyday. This type of language is very common.

So in plain english:) from a lawyers view

Can they kick you off the ship or deny boarding to you if they catch booze in your bags?

Taking into account they do not know exactly who's bag it is,whether it is truly booze and not a wine,and the fact it was out of your possesion. (in otherwords,is it worth it to them to try and defend an action)

Steve

It holds water, except for what's provided for in Section 8(f). ;)

I read and negotiate contracts everyday. This type of language is very common.

It is like a drug... I need to ween myself.

Oh... so are you saying as the contract states you could not be taken off the ship if you were found with a rum runner filled with Rum?

Yes or No. Not maybe... Would they be in their right to remove someone from the ship if they were smuggling alcohol?

So in plain english:) from a lawyers view

Can they kick you off the ship or deny boarding to you if they catch booze in your bags?

Taking into account they do not know exactly who's bag it is,whether it is truly booze and not a wine,and the fact it was out of your possesion. (in otherwords,is it worth it to them to try and defend an action)

Steve

I'm sure Carnival will act first and ask questions later. I haven't read anything about someone being denied boarding for simply bringing alcohol. I wonder if they have a set up like I've seen on COPS where they can test a substance to see if it's illegal drugs....

If you have tags on the bag, they can assume it's yours. You might have an argument about someone putting the alcohol on there while the bag was not in your possession. However, I'm sure they've heard that story before.

It is like a drug... I need to ween myself.

Oh... so are you saying as the contract states you could not be taken off the ship if you were found with a rum runner filled with Rum?

Yes or No. Not maybe... Would they be in their right to remove someone from the ship if they were smuggling alcohol?

When did I say that? I agree that they are within their rights to do so. I've never said otherwise.

I'm sure Carnival will act first and ask questions later. I haven't read anything about someone being denied boarding for simply bringing alcohol. I wonder if they have a set up like I've seen on COPS where they can test a substance to see if it's illegal drugs....

If you have tags on the bag, they can assume it's yours. You might have an argument about someone putting the alcohol on there while the bag was not in your possession. However, I'm sure they've heard that story before.

So would it be worth defending an action against them for denied boarding?

What would happen when the other passenger came forth as a witness after they got off the ship and stated it was theirs?:eek::D The tags are for a room,not the individual passengers.

Steve

What would happen when the other passenger came forth as a witness after they got off the ship and stated it was theirs?:eek::D The tags are for a room,not the individual passengers.

Steve

I doubt it's worth it, but people have gone to court with REALLY weak arguments before.

If you are flying you have tags with your name on them (I have my name on mine regardless). However, you could remove them before handing them over.

Steve

I will defend you Steve!

I REALLY doubt they would. However if you said its not mine they would then ask who else had access to the room/luggage in your party. They would then ask you all. If no one "fessed" up it is treated as a common area item and (this is where I dont remember) you either all get booted ot no one does.....

I tihnk no one does as there is no proof of possesion/ownership.

they then do cavity searches.

I will defend you Steve!

I REALLY doubt they would. However if you said its not mine they would then ask who else had access to the room/luggage in your party. They would then ask you all. If no one "fessed" up it is treated as a common area item and (this is where I dont remember) you either all get booted ot no one does.....

I tihnk no one does as there is no proof of possesion/ownership.

Why doesn't Steve just use his Rum Runners on his body then when they ask "Is that a rum runner" he replies "No its a suicide belt". They look at the contract "Hum it doesn't say anything about those". "What about this dangerous goods thing". They ask Steve "Is it dangerous". He replies "not if don't use it all at once and then you let me steer the boat". And they let him board.

You're so bad Allen.:D

But you do make me laugh. And of all the times I've been in trouble in Cyberworld I'd say 98% of the time it was probably YOUR FAULT!:D:D:D

OMG! I am SO misunderstood. :eek: There have only been two or three websites where I've had anything to do with 20 or 30 people getting banned. :D

As someone who witnessed the first time Allen was "Allened" I can say with great certainty, those were some dumb folk.:D

I know. :) And I just booked a cruise through one of the leaders, who is a travel agent. I don't think she remembers me. :D

While the discussion runs on about "for consumption on board," Carnival's website now says these items will be confiscated.

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles.

And a host of other things.

Prohibited are alcoholic liquids in unsealed containers. These will be destroyed.

that wasnt my point Steve. My point was:

"It does not state bringing alchohol on board is prohibited???"

And yes it does even though you knew it did you said it didnt??

The issue with enforcing it is.... YOU agreed to it. It would be hard to "fight". Especially if they dropped you off at a foriegn port.. :D No I dont think it would EVER happen.

However to not allow you on board at initital embark.... they are fairly well covered there. Especially if you knowingly attempt to "hide" it and or smuggle it on.

That means YOU knew it was not allowed and decided to do it anyway. Yes I would love to see a lawyer try that.

Webe can you have your son look at that? :D

I think he's probably got better things to do than try to point out all of Stevie's inconsistencies and Lawskool's vocabulary issues. :D Also, he's in Mergers and Acquisitions rather than small claims court. :)

Archived