New Poll: Who else IS sick of the smugglers....

saturnsc

Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Are you as sick of the smugglers as I am?

• Yes! it's the reason cruise & drink prices have gone up so much
    • No! as I pack another rum runner thank you very much.
    • Indifferent eh, I'm sure there's things that I do that they don't like too
    • I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread...

I don't believe this is true. What about the non-drinkers on the cruise? Are you going to tell them to stay home because they are not contributing to Carnival's drink revenue? Or children?

It's not that simple. When figuring their revenue targets for the bars, they have a known percentage, based on 30 years of keeping records, that a certain percentage don't drink and take that into consideration when setting revenue expectations.

When dealing with ships revenue, you have to look at the entire picture based on "bottom line"....not tit-for-tat.

I suggest you watch for the documentary "Big Money on the High Seas"..perhaps you'll get more insight into the matter.

When revenues aren't met over the long haul, they take action. With the bars, there's only a couple things that can be done: raise drink prices and tighten up security to catch more who cheat the system....

May I ask what other reason would there be for smuggling?

WOW. How long ago was it since I posted that??? I smuggled so I could have the booze I wanted when I wanted it. Plus, the booze I smuggled was purchased from Carnival AND I bought drinks every night of the cruise.

The only drinking of the smuggled alcohol was a pre dinner drink. Everything else was purchased on the ship or in port.

It's not that simple. When figuring their revenue targets for the bars' date=' they have a known percentage, based on 30 years of keeping records, that a certain percentage don't drink and take that into consideration when setting revenue expectations.

When dealing with ships revenue, you have to look at the entire picture based on "bottom line"....not tit-for-tat.

I suggest you watch for the documentary "Big Money on the High Seas"..perhaps you'll get more insight into the matter.

When revenues aren't met over the long haul, they take action. With the bars, there's only a couple things that can be done: raise drink prices and tighten up security to catch more who cheat the system....[/quote']

Wrong. If you understood economics, you would know that smuggling has no impact on Carnival drink prices, cruise prices, or anything else.

The short explaination is Carnival sets its drink prices and cruise prices based on what a majority of people are willing to pay. If you want drink prices to go down, then don't buy drinks. The more drinks people buy the great the demand and prices rise, demand drops and prices drop.

It's the same with cruise prices. If fewer people cruise or when the ship is not full, cruise prices go down. The closer the ship is to capacity, the high the price for a cabin.

Wrong. If you understood economics, you would know that smuggling has no impact on Carnival drink prices, cruise prices, or anything else.

The short explaination is Carnival sets its drink prices and cruise prices based on what a majority of people are willing to pay. If you want drink prices to go down, then don't buy drinks. The more drinks people buy the great the demand and prices rise, demand drops and prices drop.

It's the same with cruise prices. If fewer people cruise or when the ship is not full, cruise prices go down. The closer the ship is to capacity, the high the price for a cabin.

Ding ding... someone gets it.

The 'documentary' is propaganda from the cruise lines.

I love this arguement. It is made by the same people that do not spend a single dime on board. They do not tip well, they are first in line to get on board to maximize the amount of food they consume and they complain about every cruise they go on. Get over it folks - Smuggling booze will be around as long as the cruise companies charge for booze. Get over it and get used to it. I plan on taking a crapload of booze on board with me and there is nother any of the whiners that are writing to this forum can do about it. My bill will still be 3x the amount of a normal cruiser. Stop debating and get used to it because it is here to stay. I applaud the guy that invented rum runners he is sitting in his garage counting the loads of cash he made because people will smuggle booze no matter what is done!

I have to ask you....you never have done anything dishonest in your life?? nothing??? This past year nothing??? If your answer is no, your being dishonest or your Jesus. No sneeking a bottle of booze shouldn't both you near as much as me bringing onboard my firearm. You guys are worried about someone "smuggling" a few drinks on board? come on put the wood and nails down and get a life. Do you lose sleep over this??? It must drive you crazy to be on here making such a fuss about it!

The people dressed like slobs? not a big deal. I'm just bringing up the point that more people are concerned with a group that no one sees, but hears about (smugglers BREAKING the rules) ,oh,my!!, but no one says anything about the rule breakers sitting acrossed the table looking like slobs. It's not them sitting there....I haven't a clue if they had saved every penny they have ever made to be there (god bless them). It's just that the Matra'd is in charge of the MDR and it should be up to him to police it. Directing them to the buffett or something, telling them their dress in not appropiate. Just like if I were to show up at an upscale restaurant where jackets are required and I didn't bring one "I can't enter"

The only thing I think I have come acrossed that I've heard a lot of complaints about (rule breakers) is parents walking on board the ship and letting their kids run wild for the next week. I would probably complain about that one if I saw it. Some parents just don't care what their kids do as long as they don't have to deal with it. Ok, I'm sorry I have broken my cardnial rule and took the post of subject. kinda. Rules are rules ok then go after them all.

But this thread isn't about dress code or kids running ramped it's about smuggling booze onboard when it's strictly forbidden in your ticket contract. Please stay on topic. If you want to complain about those other things, great! Start a new thread!

Smuggling is the only way to go.I just got back today.Spent $40 on sodas,$50 on drinks and drank about 170 ounces of what we brought.

I figured we saved $700.Plus we brought on wine.:D

Steve

Kinda proves my point. If just one person does this each week on each ship, we're talking millions lost over a very short span of time. I guess we all need to either brace for higher prices at the bar next time we cruise....or....join 'em and smuggle too.

Aye' date=' and there's the rub. Almost all criminals are incapable of feeling guilt and feel entitled to what they gain by breaking rules and laws. They also rationalize that the victims aren't really impacted, because they're either rich or big meanies or they dare to possess something that the criminal wants and premeditatively makes plans to take from them. :D[/quote']

Well said, you must be a psychiatrist!

Of course, because Carnival's bottom line doesn't effect me nearly as much as my "bottom line". Why in this world would I be more worried about Carnival more than myself or my family? There are MANY silly rules I break and I'm not ashamed nor do I feel guilt over them. Now if it would direct hurt someone or effect them, then yes, I would not do it, but in this case...it does nothing. Well...other than upset the holier than thou self righteous.

interesting, so you really think that the lost bar revenue doesn't affect the other passengers? Because I can tell you, Carnival isn't "absorbing" that loss, they pass it on to their customers through higher rates for everything! Specifically alcohol since it's their cash cow.

WOW..you really do see through blinders.:D Not all lies are equal. Sometimes lying is actually better than telling the truth. I know you are rolling your eyes in the condenscending way right now, but here's an example. Say your wife (generally speaking) is overweight, she asks..."Honey, do I look fat in this dress?". You are thinking, yes she does look fat in taht dress. If she's a sensitive woman, no man in his right mind is going to tell the truth;). So I beg to differ with you that a lie is a lie is a lie.

I bet you wouldn't tell your kids that "lying has different levels". In the scenario mentioned above, I think the safest thing would be to simply say nothing at all.

I'll throw this question out there, just because I can ...

Does anyone really think that even if CCL totally eradicates smuggling that fares will drop?

We already covered this, the answer is NO but it might help the prices from continually going up, particularly the bar prices.

Someone brought up a 6 month old thread.

Should of let it rest!!!

My name is John and I smuggle.:p

Hi John , my name is Mike , and I smuggle to ( or try to anyway ) , I'll bet they had a big party with the booze I lost in Miami couple weeks ago .

I guess some of you chose to ignore the posts about supply and demand and the fact smuggling is not new and NOT causing prices increases.

Perhaps you missed them.

'Losses' due to smuggling are ALREADY built in to the cruise price and NOT causing fresh increases. Bar prices are not increasing because of smuggling, it's due to the laws of supply and demand. Same goes for cruise pricing overall. Also factored in are operating costs that increase with inflation. It's silly to suggest smuggling is the reason for increases. The documentary cited early is just marketing crud put out by the cruise companies.

interesting, so you really think that the lost bar revenue doesn't affect the other passengers? Because I can tell you, Carnival isn't "absorbing" that loss, they pass it on to their customers through higher rates for everything! Specifically alcohol since it's their cash cow.

So did Carnival send you a financial report that shows lost bar revenue? I'm a rather large share holder and I don't get that kind of information.:eek::rolleyes:

I just caught up with this thread, what a monster it turned into. But I still have an issue with the smugglers. If they can smuggle on booze can I smuggle off free pictures? Sheets? Duvets? Pillows? Comforters? A room steward and a chef? :D Oh wait, they would say that increases costs for CCL therefore increasing the ticket price.

Don't confuse theft with smuggling. Presumingly, folks purchased the alcohol from some store somewhere. Bringing such items on board are prohibited by Carnival, not by law. Taking ships property without paying for said items is a crime. It's called theft and depending on the value, anywhere from a misdemeanor to a felony. Big difference.

Kinda proves my point. If just one person does this each week on each ship, we're talking millions lost over a very short span of time. I guess we all need to either brace for higher prices at the bar next time we cruise....or....join 'em and smuggle too.

I'm about to go on the least expensive cruise of my life....7 nights in an aft wrap for $799 ($1598 for two) and my sisters in the next balcony are at $599 per person ($1198).

Keep smugglin', boys!!

LOL i looked at the first post to see when this thread started and saw 2006!! :eek: Looked at the join date by mistake

I didn't notice the age of this thread either..until a couple hours ago, after I wasted time reading through most of it and responding to a couple.

Holy Cow!!!!

All the rules have changed since this thread was hot, haven't they?

I'm about to go on the least expensive cruise of my life....7 nights in an aft wrap for $799 ($1598 for two) and my sisters in the next balcony are at $599 per person ($1198).

Keep smugglin', boys!!

That truly is an amazing deal nonetheless.

Archived