**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

We got news that was not welcome. Another stupid rule that if you board in a Canadian city you cannot disembark in another Canadian city. That stupid rule will cost us in the neighborhood of another $500. Not to mention the inconvenience of driving to Seattle to drop the car off at the Cruise ship terminal and find a way back to Vancouver the day before. Not happy but we will all still be there. Going to ask Canadian Customs if we can take the bulk of our luggage off and make a customs declaration. I know most of the agents that work there and they always are reasonable. Oh well go home and walk the dogs then back for the trip to Seattle on the last night.

It was not a good day yesterday. When checking our flight to Orlando I found out that our flight had been cancelled and we were moved to another flight (which is not a problem) but we were all scatterd throughout the plane. This includes our daughter-in-law with our Grandson who will be 18 months. She has never flown before and our grandson is an unknown as to how he will behave. Sean who detests flying was hoping to sit with me to share a DVD device which we would rent. Thank you Alaska for your thougtfullness. At least they have about two months to try and rectify the situation.

Other than that it is a beautiful day in beautiful Victoria. Sun is shining and it is warming up Cheers all Pat:(:)

We got news that was not welcome. Another stupid rule that if you board in a Canadian city you cannot disembark in another Canadian city. That stupid rule will cost us in the neighborhood of another $500. Not to mention the inconvenience of driving to Seattle to drop the car off at the Cruise ship terminal and find a way back to Vancouver the day before. Not happy but we will all still be there. Going to ask Canadian Customs if we can take the bulk of our luggage off and make a customs declaration. I know most of the agents that work there and they always are reasonable. Oh well go home and walk the dogs then back for the trip to Seattle on the last night.

It was not a good day yesterday. When checking our flight to Orlando I found out that our flight had been cancelled and we were moved to another flight (which is not a problem) but we were all scatterd throughout the plane. This includes our daughter-in-law with our Grandson who will be 18 months. She has never flown before and our grandson is an unknown as to how he will behave. Sean who detests flying was hoping to sit with me to share a DVD device which we would rent. Thank you Alaska for your thougtfullness. At least they have about two months to try and rectify the situation.

Other than that it is a beautiful day in beautiful Victoria. Sun is shining and it is warming up Cheers all Pat:(:)

Pat, I know I have read posts in the past regarding disembarking in Victoria and passengers trying to do the same thing - with no luck. I'm surprised your TA didn't know. Did your request to disembark early just get denied? You could still cancel and re-book another sailing - right? Not sure what is making up the $500 though....

Regarding the trip to Orlando. Can you go on line and change your seats? Assuming that your trip is far enough out and seats are still open.

Pat, I know I have read posts in the past regarding disembarking in Victoria and passengers trying to do the same thing - with no luck. I'm surprised your TA didn't know. Did your request to disembark early just get denied? You could still cancel and re-book another sailing - right? Not sure what is making up the $500 though....

Regarding the trip to Orlando. Can you go on line and change your seats? Assuming that your trip is far enough out and seats are still open.

I am confused. Is there a PSA type agreement in Canada too??

Katherine

Hi, everyone...

Hope it's been a good weekend for you.

I had a stomach virus towards the end of the week. Have been taking it easy. Watching football and napping.

Have the ships finished the 2010 Alaska season? Have they all headed down the coast, to Hawaii or Asia? If so, the countdown for Alaska 2011 has begun....:D

Mary

Hi, everyone...

Hope it's been a good weekend for you.

I had a stomach virus towards the end of the week. Have been taking it easy. Watching football and napping.

Have the ships finished the 2010 Alaska season? Have they all headed down the coast, to Hawaii or Asia? If so, the countdown for Alaska 2011 has begun....:D

Mary

I think you're right Mary. Most should have finished their last run this week and I think they will be headed south now. Come on 2011 :D

Sorry to hear that you've been sick and I hope you're feeling better soon!

I think you're right Mary. Most should have finished their last run this week and I think they will be headed south now. Come on 2011 :D

Sorry to hear that you've been sick and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Just nausea and fatigue... I guess it's somewhat like NORO!! :eek: I'm much better now.

I can't believe this Friday is October 1. Where does the time go? Thanksgiving is 60 days away... Blows my mind!

Mary

I can't believe this Friday is October 1. Where does the time go? Thanksgiving is 60 days away... Blows my mind!

Mary

I know! I booked my flight to TX for Thanksgiving in August so I have been in the holiday spirit for about a month already ;)

Can't find a decent airfare to Atlanta for Christmas yet and Delta is not cooperating at all :rolleyes:

I know! I booked my flight to TX for Thanksgiving in August so I have been in the holiday spirit for about a month already ;)

Can't find a decent airfare to Atlanta for Christmas yet and Delta is not cooperating at all :rolleyes:

What is the drive time?

We decided to drive to Dallas for Thanksgiving. It's 5 hours, but at least we'll be in control of our own schedule.

Mary

What is the drive time?

We decided to drive to Dallas for Thanksgiving. It's 5 hours, but at least we'll be in control of our own schedule.

Mary

Jen lives north of the city so it takes about 8 hours. Normally not bad but holiday traffic can be heavy between FL and GA with only one interstate going north and south. I-275 goes from Michigan to FL and a lot of midwesterers travel by car for the holidays.

Jen lives north of the city so it takes about 8 hours. Normally not bad but holiday traffic can be heavy between FL and GA with only one interstate going north and south. I-275 goes from Michigan to FL and a lot of midwesterers travel by car for the holidays.

Have you ever flown on AirTran? I heard today that they're being acquired by Southwest. Of course, that won't happen by Thanksgiving!

It's 60 degrees here this morning! Feels like Fall!

Mary

Have you ever flown on AirTran? I heard today that they're being acquired by Southwest. Of course, that won't happen by Thanksgiving!

It's 60 degrees here this morning! Feels like Fall!

Mary

We fly AirTran pretty often. Our favorite thing is the ease of upgrading to business class with AirTran, at which point it becomes a somewhat civilized experience. I always jump on the on-line check in immediately to do the upgrades, lest they disappear having been taken by other, more prompt spoiled brats like me. Business class - preferred check in line, first two checked bags fly free. Cabin service - not as amusing as Southwest, but adequate.

This acquisition should be interesting, since we tend to fly either SW or AT out of our home airport.

Ginger

Hi, all. Yes, Linda, I am licking my wounds after a horrible weekend! First the Longhorns got embarrassed totally, then the Texans played like 12-year olds. It was not good all the way around.

We knew the Longhorns were not going to win any National Championship this year, but to lose so miserably is not easy to take. It seems like nothing worked. So hard to swallow. And the Texans -- there just aren't words to describe how disappointing it is to lose to the Cowboys! Anyone else but the Cowboys. Aaaaargh.

I was surprised to see the article about Southwest and Air Tran. We'll just wait and see how that works out. My fingers are crossed that Southwest won't move anywhere. We like having them in Texas.

Yes, Mary, it feels wonderful today! I went to my grandson's football game on Saturday and almost died in the heat and humidity. We sat/stood under an awning and had fans, but it was stultifying (I always love that word). This morning it feels like another world. We really have only two seasons in my part of Texas -- hot and not-so-hot -- so this weather really feels nice to us.

My last contract position is over, so what else do you do when unemployed other than go cruising? My mother and I grabbed a last-minute cabin on the Caribbean Princess and will head to NYC on Friday, Oct 1 (one free American Airlines ticket - yea). We'll stay the night in Manhattan at the Marriott (free night- points - yea) and have dinner with my nephew who lives there, then off to the cruise on Saturday. Unemployment is really nice, you know? Anyway, I'll be back to the normal world on Sunday, Oct 10. I'll be checking in online (love the 150 free minutes onboard) to see how everyone is doing.

I have flown Airtran to ATL once and upgraded to business class. Very nice for the price :D

Normally they are only about $30 - $40 less but I like the flight time options on Delta. But this may change things and I know that Southwest has been wanting to get into the Atlanta market. Which may actually drive prices go up for me :confused:

I think I may have mentioned before that Southwest is always significantly higher for me from FL to TX so I always choose American or Continental - with one less stop.....

Okay, Margie.....I can't believe you're cruising again! And this week no less :eek: Have a great time with mom! :D

Hi, all. Yes, Linda, I am licking my wounds after a horrible weekend! First the Longhorns got embarrassed totally, then the Texans played like 12-year olds. It was not good all the way around.

We knew the Longhorns were not going to win any National Championship this year, but to lose so miserably is not easy to take. It seems like nothing worked. So hard to swallow. And the Texans -- there just aren't words to describe how disappointing it is to lose to the Cowboys! Anyone else but the Cowboys. Aaaaargh.

I was surprised to see the article about Southwest and Air Tran. We'll just wait and see how that works out. My fingers are crossed that Southwest won't move anywhere. We like having them in Texas.

Yes, Mary, it feels wonderful today! I went to my grandson's football game on Saturday and almost died in the heat and humidity. We sat/stood under an awning and had fans, but it was stultifying (I always love that word). This morning it feels like another world. We really have only two seasons in my part of Texas -- hot and not-so-hot -- so this weather really feels nice to us.

My last contract position is over, so what else do you do when unemployed other than go cruising? My mother and I grabbed a last-minute cabin on the Caribbean Princess and will head to NYC on Friday, Oct 1 (one free American Airlines ticket - yea). We'll stay the night in Manhattan at the Marriott (free night- points - yea) and have dinner with my nephew who lives there, then off to the cruise on Saturday. Unemployment is really nice, you know? Anyway, I'll be back to the normal world on Sunday, Oct 10. I'll be checking in online (love the 150 free minutes onboard) to see how everyone is doing.

Cruising this week... And a Canada/New England itinerary to boot! I am jealous. :D

I share part of your football pain. The Longhorns looked so subpar. It was hard to swallow. I guess it's on to OU...:eek:.

I am a Texans fan... unless they play the Cowboys. I've been a Cowboys fans since the days of Don Meredith. My remaining cat is named Troy after Troy Aikman. However, yesterday was bittersweet . It is great to see the Texans have some success. I also hope this isn't a one-time lookin' good game for the Cowboys.

Baylor won!!!! Admittedly, it was against Rice, but they did win after a 2 hour rain delay. Glad I didn't go to the game. It was on TV and nobody was in the stands.

You are right about the Houston weather... hot and not-so-hot. I think that's why I like cruising to Alaska.

I think the CO/United merger will impact Houston travel more than the AirTran/Southwest deal. I hate to see CO morph into United. That's a bummer.

Off to watch DWTS...

Mary

We'll be leaving the for the airport in a couple of hours, and I hope our equipment has water wings! Seriously, my nephew who lives in Manhattan says the rain is supposed to stop by afternoon but I know to expect delays. Who knows what time we will arrive??? At least the weather reports show the rain moving out to sea rather than hanging around New England. Keep your fingers crossed!

My fingers are also crossed for my Longhorns. The Texas-OU football game is always a nail-biter, regardless of how each team is ranked (or not). I hope the burnt orange can hang on!!

I'll check in when I can to let y'all know if I'm having fun (isn't that just really ugly of me???).

We are at Disney, on this the 39th anniversary of their opening in Florida:) Of course, our trip had nothing to do with that, I just happened to notice the date. My wife is running in the Wine and Dine half marathon tomorrow, which is the kick off for the Food and Wine festival. We'll be sticking around Sunday night also, so that we can do a few "trips around the world" at F&W.

I also have a bit of news, that is good news for us, but sadly has a downside. Meg has been seeking a job in our school system for the last few months. Last week she had an interview for an awesome position and she was offered the job. This is really great for her, as this position is rarely offered to people outside the system, and is usually filled from within. Needless to say we are both quite excited...

Now the downside....school does not let out here until June, and taking time off at the end of the year is not really a good idea in this position. Therefore, it looks like we are going to be canceling our booking on this cruise and perhaps rescheduling for later in the summer.:( Her's is a year round position, but it will be much easier to take time over the summer...

I've known for about a week now that this would be the case, but I hadn't wanted to post it here until I was really sure. I'm bummed, as I feel like I've made friends here, and I'm saddened that we won't get to take this adventure together that we've been looking forward to for so long.

I hope you all won't mind if I still hang around here, and still take this voyage vicariously through you all.;)

We'll be leaving the for the airport in a couple of hours, and I hope our equipment has water wings! Seriously, my nephew who lives in Manhattan says the rain is supposed to stop by afternoon but I know to expect delays. Who knows what time we will arrive??? At least the weather reports show the rain moving out to sea rather than hanging around New England. Keep your fingers crossed!

My fingers are also crossed for my Longhorns. The Texas-OU football game is always a nail-biter, regardless of how each team is ranked (or not). I hope the burnt orange can hang on!!

I'll check in when I can to let y'all know if I'm having fun (isn't that just really ugly of me???).

Margie

Didn't you tell me previously that it rained the last time you were on the CB for a Canada/New England itinerary? Keep us posted. Have a great time.

I'll be watching and rooting for the 'Horns to make a comeback this week. Will also be rooting for the Gators vs. Alabama. BTW... Did you see the Aggies lose to Oklahoma State last night?

Tell your mom that Tom and I say hi!

Mary

We are at Disney, on this the 39th anniversary of their opening in Florida:) Of course, our trip had nothing to do with that, I just happened to notice the date. My wife is running in the Wine and Dine half marathon tomorrow, which is the kick off for the Food and Wine festival. We'll be sticking around Sunday night also, so that we can do a few "trips around the world" at F&W.

I also have a bit of news, that is good news for us, but sadly has a downside. Meg has been seeking a job in our school system for the last few months. Last week she had an interview for an awesome position and she was offered the job. This is really great for her, as this position is rarely offered to people outside the system, and is usually filled from within. Needless to say we are both quite excited...

Now the downside....school does not let out here until June, and taking time off at the end of the year is not really a good idea in this position. Therefore, it looks like we are going to be canceling our booking on this cruise and perhaps rescheduling for later in the summer.:( Her's is a year round position, but it will be much easier to take time over the summer...

I've known for about a week now that this would be the case, but I hadn't wanted to post it here until I was really sure. I'm bummed, as I feel like I've made friends here, and I'm saddened that we won't get to take this adventure together that we've been looking forward to for so long.

I hope you all won't mind if I still hang around here, and still take this voyage vicariously through you all.;)

deej.... I'm really sorry that you and Meg will miss our sailing, but am happy for your good news. Tell Meg congratulations.

I hope you do hang around... at least through football season. :D Also, let us know what you plan for next summer.

Don't be a stranger.

Mary

Great news isn't supposed to make people sad....:(

I'm really happy for Meg but so sorry about not getting to meet both of you :(

Please keep us company and we can share information for whatever cruise you choose and as Mary said...we're in the middle of football season so you can't leave us now :D

Have fun at Disney. I leave on the 22nd for a weekend of wine and food!

Archived