ugly ship

The Norwegian Epic might be unusual looking but I would love to sail on her and I am a card carrying L2R (Loyal to Royal Fan). I find it different looking and sometimes difference is good, not the same good bored looking features as hundreds of other ships that came before and will come after her.

And lets admit it, the person who designed her is laughing all the way to the bank.

I feel that discussion of the appearance of the Epic on the RCI board most valuable. By bringing these issues to my attention, it should significantly lessen the unintentional boarding of the incorrect vessel. If is was in port along side a ship with the physical characteristics of a vessel such as the Serenade of the Seas this information could prove invaluable.:D

Your sig!!!!

ROFLMAO

Clearly I'm referring to the starfish here......

I don't believe any of these mega ships are good looking.while the activities are enjoyable you give up the feel of the sea.I agree with the poster that said they would be fun on a cross Atlantic but in the Carib I want to sail and be part of the sea anywhere on the ship and some of these never vessels take that away.You cant make a 4000 pax or bigger ship pretty or at least no one has yet

uhhh ladies and gentlemen, are we forgetting about Viking Serenade?

In RCI's defense, they did not build her but they obviously thought she was ugly too. While she flew under the RCI flag there were either NO pictures of Viking Serenade in the brochure or a small (about 2 inch) picture.

No coincidence IMHO. That aside, yes, I sailed on her and would have done so again.

Great crew and service, ugly ship. Who cares?

And by the way, I've been on Caribbean Princess and it is gorgeous on the inside and isn't that what counts?????;)

Yea, the Epic is pretty goofy looking. However, Carnival is giving it a run for it's money with the Fantasy Class that has the new balconies added.

Let's not forget....RC had a pretty weird looking ship back in the day also. Remember the Viking Serenade?

Yes, but you have to remember the history of Viking Serenade which was not built by or for Royal Caribbean and began its life as a car ferry/cruise ship and went through several iterations before it wound up in RCI's fleet.:)

Epic IS NOT the ugliest ship, the Pride of America is!:D

http://uglyships.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pride_of_america.jpg

The problem with Epic is the "hat" over the bridge. Without that, the ship is actually quite well proportioned. Her bow is relatively long, her forward superstructure is tiered, and her stern is straight, but still simple.

Her funnels are a little squat, but positioning the Villas (the suites currently housed in the "hat") around the funnels' base would have fixed that.

My biggest problem with the Epic is not her looks but the fact that they have designed the ship to appeal to people who want to sail on a cruise ship without having to interact with most of their fellow passengers. :rolleyes: They can eat, sleep, and swim in their own private enclave or gated community and not mix with the hoi polloi.:)

Well, it's "different," that's for sure. Too funny about "unintentional boarding of wrong ship!" Good belly laugh. Do any of you watch "Deadliest Catch?" A mega version of an Alaskan crabbing vessel is what popped into my mind.

The Norwegian Epic is definately the worst looking ship in my opinion as far as ship design goes... she's absolutely hideous! The Pride of America comes next on the list of ugliest ships.

On a slightly different note, Moby gets my vote for ferry company (not cruise ship) with ugliest hull art! Whoever thought of putting cartoons on the side of a ship is looney...

..on another thread a poster likened her to a 'platypus" :) To be fair, though..the super mega ships, in RCCL's case, starting with the Voyager class, looked "boxy" as they added levels; but the Oasis and Allure class are the worst in the boxy department; looks more like a 15 story hotel building floating along (which ofcourse, it is).

But I think the less than elegant exterior of these ships is more than mitigated by the beautiful public rooms, promenades and entertainment options that they offer.

Mitch

My biggest problem with the Epic is not her looks but the fact that they have designed the ship to appeal to people who want to sail on a cruise ship without having to interact with most of their fellow passengers. :rolleyes: They can eat, sleep, and swim in their own private enclave or gated community and not mix with the hoi polloi.:)

It's called "Villa"

Epic looks to me like a fully loaded container ship; however, I would sail on her as there seems to be much to explore just as on Oasis and Allure. Don't get me wrong-my favorite cruise is sailing on the smaller ships, but a change up is good now and then.

The Norwegian Epic is definately the worst looking ship in my opinion as far as ship design goes... she's absolutely hideous! The Pride of America comes next on the list of ugliest ships.

On a slightly different note, Moby gets my vote for ferry company (not cruise ship) with ugliest hull art! Whoever thought of putting cartoons on the side of a ship is looney...

Unless they are Looney Tunes:D.Hey they are Looney Tunes

And what an incredible place THAT is :eek:

This RCI girl was in awe during my tour on NCL Jewel on May 8th. I've never seen the Garden Villa in person and they had to drag me out of there. ;)

We had a Courtyard Villa on the Jewel last year on our Baltic Cruise. We got one for the Epic TA in June.

What surprises me is that it actually cost less than a Family Suite on RCL Jewel of the Seas.

Archived