Here Ye, Here Ye, I will always tip my cabin steward more...

Is that common for an employer to expect two employees to share a room? Whenever I've travelled on business my employers have always sprung for our own rooms -- I've come to expect that. Have I been spoiled?

I think it was from the fact we are a religous backed organization, and trying to keep overhead costs down, the company paid for the rooms, and the bill would be an expense, based on location of the school and hotels, there were no motel 6, super 8 class of hotels, to reduce rates, but then again, maybe they would have been better, service anyway.

The point is this, Don't take the service you get on the ship for granted, it is well beyond the treatment of some (at least one) hotel on land, If you find you don't need to "want" something from your room steward, because they have already taken care of it for you, before you asked, that is a good thing.

The cabin stewards make up your room 3 and 4 times a day. What a great service.

Get your facts straight.....stateroom attendant usually cleans a stateroom 2 times a day !

I do not take the stateroom attendants efforts for granted, and never have. You on the other hand are saying to make sure you tip them and suggest ing more tipping just for doing their job, based on a hotel experience you had which is no comparison.

Tipping is a very personal issue.....and I am of the opinion of if they are doing their job and nothing extra, they get what is expected. If they go over the top and exceed my expectations, than an additional tip is warranted of which I have no problem providing.

Thanks for the post OP. Also for me I plan to auto tip plus on the first day I plan to tip 10.00 to my Room steward and a little note thanking them for all the hard work they have done and will do. Then plan to tip at least 2-3 dollars every day of the cruise and if I order room service will tip for that. Also plan to leave extra money on the last day. Is this over tipping? probly but oh well. Thats my plan unless I get really really rotten service. Then I still wont touch the autotip but lessen the amount of tips and when I say rotten service. I mean things like the room not made up at all, no tp, no fresh towels, that kind of thing.

Anyway thats my plan. I work hard for my money and I figure they work hard to make at least a part of my vaca special. I dont have to cook or clean for an entire week woohoo :).

Adri

Did you tip the hotel maids at all?? Often people dont tip even a dime.

Iv had trouble on one cruise and should have cut the tips back, but let it go as I didnt want to affect other help, just the one cabin steward (we didnt get turn down 3 nights and one day at all).

Tipping a hotel maid is a foreign thing to me. Of course, I'm only 26 and haven't stayed too many times in a hotel that wasn't part of a school trip or paid for by someone else.

The last time this came up was on a business trip that I did for my company and it was their dime...of course the rooms were $209 a night b/c that's where the conf. was at and they weren't happy about paying it, so I did not leave a tip as I had to account for everything I spent.

Is this expected more in higher end hotels or is it the same all around? A little off topic I know, but not really since a lot of people stay in hotels before and after cruises.

Just for the record 10 percent is a bad tip..by tipping 10 percent to a server you are saying i did a bad job...15 percent is an average tip...hence an average job..You can figure out 20 percent...There are times we in the service industry drop the ball...we arent perfect..I know when i get a bad tip ..and when I actually deserve one..never complained about one I deserved..

But additional tipping on a cruise ship (other than to a bar server perhaps, but that would be above the 15% automatically charged per drink) is really not based on a percentage as it is in a restaurant. For the record... 20% is the norm I use as a guideline for service provided in a restaurant or bar on land.

Archived