Gift for Cabin Steward

[quote name='Sequim88']Beginning of Cruise - Helps establish a relationship (something they want to do anyway) and makes a statement...giving opportunity for extra attention and little touches that might not be extended to other cruisers. There's a lot of things they can do that are outside the standard. It's not expected so it's a "gift", it does not have to be given - not withstanding the subtle quid pro quo aspect.

End of cruise - Too late to influence anything. If service was excellent great, tip extra, but but the relationship ends there. The extra tip being a reward not a "gift".

On the Visa card a $20 card will never last long enough for fees to matter. But the acceptance factor is a good question. I just like the pre-cruise gift to be other than plain cash. Calling cards I thought were good because they demonstrated empathy for their being away from home & family but now know are not as useful as I had thought. [B][COLOR=Red] Probably will just have to think of some way to dress up cash I guess[/COLOR][/B].[/quote]

My only concrete suggestion for this is to go to your bank and get fresh crisp bills. Very pretty. :)

[quote name='shensadie5']I would like to bring something with me as a token of appreciation to my cabin steward(in addition to tip of course). Any suggestions?[/quote]
These folks are not pets that get a milk bone. Do you usually bring gifts to your waiter at restaurants ?

[quote name='steponboard']These folks are not pets that get a milk bone. Do you usually bring gifts to your waiter at restaurants ?[/quote]

The waiter does not clean my room including the bathroom each and every single day.

Adri :)

[quote name='bluegirlum']Their jobs are to give you good service. If they get money before doing one lick of work, why should they bother doing anything? And why would a box of chocolate make someone more likely to get your ice there at noon every day?[/quote]
I have worked in customer service and I can tell you I tip people before they start doing what every they need to do. From a cable repair guy to the guy putting tires on my car. It's not that they will do more for you because you tip up front. It's so they remember you. You'll be the first to get the ice, you'll be seated first. I learned if you tip your bartender a fat tip at first you will not have to wait for another drink at the bar counter and they will be better drinks. I always liked getting tips up front and I remembered the people who did. But that's just me :D

Archived