Can I walk from Dutch to French side?

thecdndude

I will be going to Phillipsburg on the Liberty of the Seas in October and wanted to explore the French side of the island. I like walking long distances so would prefer to trek it but will go by cab if this is not possible. What is the best way to get there and how long does it take to get over the border?

The best bet would be to get a map of the island first and map out what you want to see.

The biggest issue you'll need to think about is the time you disembark and the time you need to get back on the boat. It won't wait for you..

I've taken a cab whenever I've been on the island and have found that the roads are not that well marked

OK, I'll assume that this is an honest question.

St. Maarten / St. Martin is not at all conducive to trekking.

You would be on streets and roads that carry a high volume of speeding traffic, over significant hills, without benefit of sidewalks or many guardrails.

That said, you wouldn't want to just 'get over the boarder', but to visit something of interest on the other side. That would most likely be Marigot or Orient Beach.

Either destination would be six to seven miles away, depending on your route. Either way you would be trekking through uninteresting commercial, residential and generally un-scenic territory for much if not most of the way.

Do yourself a favor if you 'want to explore' the French side of the island and take a taxi to and from either Marigot or Orient and then explore from there.

th_DSCN3856.jpg th_DSCN3859.jpg

(click)

gary

...Do yourself a favor if you 'want to explore' the French side of the island and take a taxi to and from either Marigot or Orient and then explore from there....

gary

Of course you can take a taxi to the French side, then if you like what you saw along the way, walk back to the ship.

Thank you all for the comments, I usually like trekking it to familiarize myself with the lay of the land but in this case i shall take your advice and cab it to one of the two towns it should be fun, as i said i love the dutch side but have never been to the french side and would love to see it and perhaps if theres time climb pic paradis

Great comment, kal, and if he's really adventureous he could even try taking the local bus instead of a taxi.

gary

Opening my "way back book", I recall our very first trip to the French side (Marigot) was by local bus. It was one of our most favorable memories and the best learning experience of the real St. Maarten. I can still remember that first view of the Simpson Bay area from the top of the hill. Definitely breath taking! :)

... perhaps if theres time climb pic paradis

It's been a couple of years since I was on St. Martin, but last time I checked, Pic Paradis was not considered a very safe place. Is it still considered so?

Archived