Oasis May 24th 4:50 pm Man Overboard?

Agree, it is an overall bad situation on many fronts.

Firstly, and most important a tragic situation for the poor crew member who felt for what ever reason it necessary for him to go over board. Could have been personal issues and he would have done something tragic whereever he was or something specific. It is a sad thing that with so many wonders this world has to offer that there is still so much sadness.

Next, for the family of this poor person. They are left behind to deal with the reality of it. Can't imagine how awful it is for them.

Then for the people on the ship, not only missing a port, which seems minor in the scheme, but having to deal with this tragic situation on what should be a wonderful relaxing time.

And last but certainly not least RCCL. Managing a coorporation of this size and complication is difficult unto itself. With so many employees there are bound to be people with issues and difficult situations to deal with constantly. Managing vessels of this magnitude, millions of paying customers, tons of staff is tremendous. Then to have to deal with tragic situations just puts it over the top.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

We were on the Mariner of the Seas when a very young male fell a sleep on deck right next to the railing. From what the camara recorded he woke up (4AM) and just put himself over the rail. Reports/camara's showed he was drinking all evening and they had brought liquor on board....(and yes he should not have been drinking) We did not miss a port, but we did stay in St. Thomas way into the wee hours of that night. They never did find him, his parents flew to St. Thomas. I can tell you that it was something that we will never forget. You feel sad, yes your on vacation but it does affect everyone. DH could not sleep that night...RCCL did everything they could, I understand that missing a port can be upsetting, but they have rules they have to follow and just stop and think...just suppose it was someone that you knew family/friend you would want RCCL or any line to do everything they possibly could...

Looks like they may have stopped in St. Thomas after all because I see what looks like St. Thomas in the background of the Boardwalk webcam???

I believe that is the view of St. Maarten, if the ship has backed in to dock.

Theron

Here's the current image. It will change as the day goes on:

Gallery_1.jpg

Could be. So they are going to stay there for two days?

Today is the "normal" day for St. Maarten. I believe one of the current passengers posted that they would stay until 7PM, which looks to be about 2 hours later than normal time.

Theron

I was responding to this post:

My response was just to let them know that it is really not a big deal for a blogger to quote a post on cruise critic, and have that blog included in the Google index. Anyone can do that these days. There is no "serious pull", it's just someone who knows how to get their blog indexed.

Theron

Theron, sorry I did not use the standard "lol" in my previous post which is required these days to indicate sarcasm to a technogeek! (I dont "lol", never had, never will, not since ICQ).

Here is an article about the Man-over-board, from St Maarten's daily paper today, from the islands point of view.

oasis-mob-25may10.jpg.65ad1fcea79c0d36f621662cf1e0c142.jpg

Theron, sorry I did not use the standard "lol" in my previous post which is required these days to indicate sarcasm to a technogeek! (I dont "lol", never had, never will, not since ICQ).

Here is an article about the Man-over-board, from St Maarten's daily paper today, from the islands point of view.

I can't read this article...even when I click on it.. it stays very small.

Thoughts and prayers go out to this crewmember's family during this time.

When we were onboard in April, our waiter shared with us that he'd been on the ship since October (as part of the launch team) and still had a couple of months to go. Our HW - who also had been on the ship since October - had his contract extended another 3 months because another HW who had been due to come aboard learned she was pregnant. He was very upset.

Although we don't know the exact circumstances of this crewmember, I can only imagine the pressure as a part of the launch team - as they are supposed to be the best of the best. While it may be exciting the first few months, after 7 it can't be as fun.

It's heartbreaking to think what could have pushed this crewmember to this decision.

I like your screen name!

Can anyone tell me if they found the missing Crew Member?:confused:

There were no reports to indicate that they did. To be brutally honest, it is extremely rare to find someone who goes overboard. Even if it is witnessed by someone in person and the alarm is sounded right away it is still not a certainty.

This case was not discovered for several hours, sadly, there was almost zero chance that the crew member would be found.

Theron

I keep thinking about this guy. I sailed on the May 8th cruise and its weird to think that this person was alive when I was there and now he's gone:( I'm wondering though, can anyone survive a fall, or do they all die instantly? Why wouldn't the body float to the surface?

Having worked for 7 years on cruise ships when I was younger (as an officer) I can assure you that the stresses the crew face on a day to day basis can be overwhelming, there is little if any support to deal with personal issues provided by the cruises lines although some are finally realizing the importance of providing some support for their staff. I used to go to the seaman’s missions while in port to talk to the support staff there.

The glitz seen by the passengers is not reflected below decks where the hotel staff are put into twin occupancy cabins where your room mate is often on different shifts of up to 18- 20 hours /day. Doing this for 6-9 months per contract for basically minimum wage can put severe emotional and physical stress on the strongest of individuals. To be honest I’m surprised more staff don’t go AWOL in port or bother to come back at the end of their contacts.

I read it was a new crew member who had just gotten on in Ft Lauderdale.

I heard this too; I was on the sailing last week, and another crew member told us the man overboard had only been on the ship for three days. A bartender at the pool said something about "problems at home" when we asked if he knew anything about it, but that could've just been speculation. If this guy was only on board for three days, I can't imagine any of the other crew members knew him very well yet.

Erica

for things to be so bad that that seemed to be the only answer... :(

Wow - I guess that's true that we passengers don't see the "real life" of the crew...you hear about it, but just doesn't register. Maybe now things will change for the better there.....

When we were also leaving on the 8th of May this happened to us again and also when we were coming back on the 14th, too. Do these employees do not like staying on the ship? IS it that bad to work here? I think that these gentlemen need to really see if they want to live on ship and give these people a trial run to make sure that these employees are worthy enough to work on these ships. Its sad that we had to go to Nassau first instead of two days at sea. The ship turned around two times for him, I guess they were valuing their employees. I hoped they found him, soon after his other brother jumped too.

So two senseless lives lost and now again. RCL WHAT is going on here, why jump? Don't they know that there is big fish and sharks out there waiting for them?

Sad really sad. I kept on hearing bells and announcements of names, three times, all personal on gang plank. This is a test.

No test they were looking for that certain person.

ALL I can say is god be with them for whatever reason they jumped and god take good care of their soul

I keep thinking about this guy. I sailed on the May 8th cruise and its weird to think that this person was alive when I was there and now he's gone:( I'm wondering though, can anyone survive a fall, or do they all die instantly? Why wouldn't the body float to the surface?

You sailed with us too. I think that if you drop from 15 stories by the time you hit the water its like a submarine bomb, go right down splat. I believe the body floats up after a day or two after it fills up with water, unless the sharks get at it first.

Look at the holloway case, she never floated I think that she was anchored below the waters.

I just think it depends, with a large fall, they do not die instantly. I believe this one employee wanted out and since they did not give them their passports to leave he must have felt this is the only way to leave, soon I heard that his brother also left the same way too.

Maybe they had a friend come to get them, I know for a fact a few people who have jumped ship not in the water but left when they went off the ship for the afternoon and never came back, but they are wanted people, this one female friend did this, she lives a good life in France taking care of an elderly woman as a caretaker she met on the QE 2. We were on that ship last summer and this one young woman was a hair dresser and did the elderly womans hair who was next to me. I was getting primpted for the Captians Dinner and she talked to this lady in French, then in English. The elderly woman says if she had the day off she would meet her at the port, where the ship stopped. The two met. I saw them talking. I said good morning and they left. Then I saw the elderly woman again, when we were boarding the ship. I asked where is your friend? She said she had to go before me on board she had to get ready for the other guests. As we were leaving the ship a few days later she said to me in a whisper I sent her to my sisters house. I paid for her ticket, she will soon live with me and care for me.

I did not say anything more. So I know how this works. I know that some people are not happy on these ships the pay is not good but they have to make US happy so that they will get compensated well.

So if they jump its really sad, I feel badly for the loss of someones child, son, brother.

God be with them!:rolleyes:

we have been hearing alot of this, even when we sailed May 8th, then again on the 14th, then again recently 24th. what is going on, if they want to kill themselves wouldn't it be easier to get a gun and blow their brains out? then to just jump overboard the impact alone is more disgusting than the gun shot, well not actually, what did these three men think? Well, I do not like this place If I swim to PR or to Nassau I may be able to jump ship and leave and go back home to where i lived before? Who are they kidding. Are their life insurance well worth alot of money?

While we were were away last year a woman on the FOS last June last year, My dd witnessed this, she did not come this time on this cruise still very tramatized over this, and heavily medicated because of this, she witnessed a women jumping over the FOS. She said "Momma she went over and she disappeared" I felt so badly for the gal who did this to herself her family, enough we had to content to someone at our dinner table last year who died of a stroke a young woman 24 yrs old who had a heart condition and was going to have her last vacation with her family. I felt so badly for that family, but she wanted to see somthing this was the 2nd night we were on board. sadly she was such a young sweet person she had a pre exsisted condtion her sister told us. Sadly my dd had a bad experience two times that week. My dd is in recovery now over this, but I think if you want to get out of the ship and want to leave can not these men do it the proper way? WHY jump..???:eek:

3xboys I believe that it takes 24-48 hours of water to enter the lungs before the body surfaces up. Any dr's in the house can verify this? a Nurse?

3xboys I believe that it takes 24-48 hours of water to enter the lungs before the body surfaces up. Any dr's in the house can verify this? a Nurse?

It's not water intake that causes a body to float. It's the gasses produced from the body breaking down.

we have been hearing alot of this, even when we sailed May 8th, then again on the 14th, then again recently 24th. what is going on, if they want to kill themselves wouldn't it be easier to get a gun and blow their brains out? then to just jump overboard the impact alone is more disgusting than the gun shot, well not actually, what did these three men think? Well, I do not like this place If I swim to PR or to Nassau I may be able to jump ship and leave and go back home to where i lived before? Who are they kidding. Are their life insurance well worth alot of money?

While we were were away last year a woman on the FOS last June last year, My dd witnessed this, she did not come this time on this cruise still very tramatized over this, and heavily medicated because of this, she witnessed a women jumping over the FOS. She said "Momma she went over and she disappeared" I felt so badly for the gal who did this to herself her family, enough we had to content to someone at our dinner table last year who died of a stroke a young woman 24 yrs old who had a heart condition and was going to have her last vacation with her family. I felt so badly for that family, but she wanted to see somthing this was the 2nd night we were on board. sadly she was such a young sweet person she had a pre exsisted condtion her sister told us. Sadly my dd had a bad experience two times that week. My dd is in recovery now over this, but I think if you want to get out of the ship and want to leave can not these men do it the proper way? WHY jump..???:eek:

Wow, if it ain't starfish it's peeps passing when you are on board, hmmmmmmmm, me thinks I an NOT getting on a cruise when you might be onboard :eek: How often do you cruise? Juuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssttttttt making sure you aren't planning on taking a cruise in September ;)

Archived