Advice on our excursions?

globalhoneymooning

We're booked on the NCL Pearl the 3rd week in August. I will be travelling with my husband and 2 sons (2.5 yrs and & 9 months). We're booking excursions and have come up with the following. I'd appreciate opinions on where we can book thru independent tour operators and save some money but keep in mind we will have 2 small kids in tow and a stroller.

Juneau - 2pm-10pm - (Booked thru NCL) Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife Quest (includes whale watching)

* I looked into the recommended smaller boats but they do not allow small children.

Skagway - 7am-8:15pm - (Booked thru NCL) White Pass & Yukon Rail + Liarsville

* The train sounds exciting and it doesn't seem to disappoint. We also want to pan for gold and thought Liarsville could be fun. I've read the recent posts on walking to the train station and purchasing tickets. How feasible is this with the kids/stroller (is it uphill? will we be able to definitely get tickets?, etc) and wanting to coordinate this with panning for gold?

Ketchikan - 6am - 1:30pm - Not booked yet

* We want to see totem poles so we're considering Totem Bight Park or Saxman Village. We'd love to do the Misty Fjord floatplane but they don't allow infants. Anything else worthwhile other than walking on Creek Street? We also want to see salmon. Is August too late?

Victoria - 6pm-11:59pm - Not booked yet

* Due to the time, the only excursion of interest to us woudl be Butchart Gardens and since it's a Saturday, they would have the fireworks show. Is there a cheaper way to get there than the $79 that NCL charges?

TIA.

In Ketchican, you can take the city bus to Totem Bight on your own. Allow 3 hours because it's about 45 min. ride one way. Catch the bus on the main street just before the tunnel. I was there early Sept. 2009 and the salmon were still running. A good place to see them is the bridge near Creek Street.

We're booked on the NCL Pearl the 3rd week in August. I will be travelling with my husband and 2 sons (2.5 yrs and & 9 months). We're booking excursions and have come up with the following. I'd appreciate opinions on where we can book thru independent tour operators and save some money but keep in mind we will have 2 small kids in tow and a stroller.

Juneau - 2pm-10pm - (Booked thru NCL) Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife Quest (includes whale watching)

* I looked into the recommended smaller boats but they do not allow small children.

Skagway - 7am-8:15pm - (Booked thru NCL) White Pass & Yukon Rail + Liarsville

* The train sounds exciting and it doesn't seem to disappoint. We also want to pan for gold and thought Liarsville could be fun. I've read the recent posts on walking to the train station and purchasing tickets. How feasible is this with the kids/stroller (is it uphill? will we be able to definitely get tickets?, etc) and wanting to coordinate this with panning for gold?

Ketchikan - 6am - 1:30pm - Not booked yet

* We want to see totem poles so we're considering Totem Bight Park or Saxman Village. We'd love to do the Misty Fjord floatplane but they don't allow infants. Anything else worthwhile other than walking on Creek Street? We also want to see salmon. Is August too late?

Victoria - 6pm-11:59pm - Not booked yet

* Due to the time, the only excursion of interest to us woudl be Butchart Gardens and since it's a Saturday, they would have the fireworks show. Is there a cheaper way to get there than the $79 that NCL charges?

TIA.

I wouldn't recommend the train with small children. If they get fussy, there's nowhere to take them, and a fussy child can ruin other people's enjoyment as well as your own.

So...I know you're thinking like "wow - we are only in these ports for a short time and i gotta cram it all in.." Many decisions i know but you should be sure you take into account the time needed just to take it all in and not be rushed to get somewhere every second. Just got back Sunday from the Pearl and was glad we did not rush around. We did:

Juneau - bus to Mendenhall, walked a bit then bus back to town to wander a bit

Skagway - rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake - funny when I hit "seek" on the rental car radio and it kept going around the dial without stopping on any stations.

Ketchikan - short 30 min floatplane tour then rented a small electric car to zip around town.

Victoria - walked to town and just walked around the boats...

So...Ketchikan - short 30 min floatplane tour then rented a small electric car to zip around town.

Can you tell me about the small electric car you rented, where did you rent it and what was the cost? Thank you for the info

Jill

Because you have pretty limited time in Victoria, I'd suggest sticking with the ship's excursion. Butchart Gardens is a fair drive. How PO'd would you be if you got stuck in traffic on the way back to the ship, and had to find your own way back to Seattle, because you decided to go with an independent tour? Personally, if you have to pay for your kids to go at $79/each, I'd look at taking a stroll around the harbour this time, and saving Butchart Gardens for another visit.

In Skagway, it is a flat walk to the station. Skagway sits on a pretty level spot, surrounded by forests and mountains.

So...I know you're thinking like "wow - we are only in these ports for a short time and i gotta cram it all in.." Many decisions i know but you should be sure you take into account the time needed just to take it all in and not be rushed to get somewhere every second. Just got back Sunday from the Pearl and was glad we did not rush around. We did:

Juneau - bus to Mendenhall, walked a bit then bus back to town to wander a bit

Skagway - rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake - funny when I hit "seek" on the rental car radio and it kept going around the dial without stopping on any stations.

Ketchikan - short 30 min floatplane tour then rented a small electric car to zip around town.

Victoria - walked to town and just walked around the boats...

We are interested in renting the electric car for time we are in Ketchikan..would you mind giving some more info on that please? thanks

Archived