To upgrade or not to upgrade

MIAMIMEDIA

One room now? If the $400 is managable, I'd try for two connecting rooms. Wouldn't want them in a non-connecting room that young. I don't think Celebrity will allow them a non-connecting room without someone over 21 (anyone...?)

Let us know what you deceide!

Sara

Of course each family is different but IMHO, I would keep the connecting rooms....When our kids were that age, we did a lot of traveling (lived overseas) and always needed two hotel rooms. Whenever we didn't have a connecting room, we wished that we had. It seemed like everytime you turned around, one of the kids were knocking at the door. Since we didn't want to prop open the door, that meant one of the adults turned into the doorman. It was even worse when their room was down the hall and I had to monitor the door slamming, loud noises in the halls, etc. So, we found that it was easier for everyone to schedule connecting rooms whenever possible. Once there were teens (and proved they independent, considerate travelers), we all preferred non-adjoining rooms.

Miamimedia - I took your first message to be that you have one room and are thinking about switching to two. Is that correct?

We were on the Solstice last year. The connecting rooms were different than the creepy "door in the wall between rooms" thing we have seen in hotels for years. Yes, it is like a vestibule. The room doors are recessed slightly from the hall, and are right next to each other. There is a second set of doors that act as a "double door" (flush to the hallway) to what becames a "two room suite". The two regular doors fold out of the way, giving you that mini-vestibule to walk into. Whew - hope that is clear!

I'd be very happy with that type of connecting door, but DH wants the girls down the hall in December (they are 21 and 26, so he does NOT want to know when they come and go :rolleyes:)

Sara

Wait, I see my dyslexia had kicked in before... I have 2 (2C) connecting balcony rooms but can get 2 (C2) side by side balcony rooms for $400...Sorry

I guess that changes things DUH 4 me:rolleyes:

Help me now PLEASE

Wait, I see my dyslexia had kicked in before... I have 2 (2C) connecting balcony rooms but can get 2 (C2) side by side balcony rooms for $400...Sorry

I guess that changes things DUH 4 me:rolleyes:

Help me now PLEASE

Aha! Now I understand. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what I was missing.

Although we always travel Concierge Class on Millennium-class ships (where the CC rooms are larger) and have travelled AquaClass twice on Solstice (primarily to dine in BLu), I wouldn't bother spending $400 for non-connecting side-by-side rooms on Solstice, unless I was getting one of the larger balconies, where we could all sit/eat/sun together on the same balcony. The concierge perks by themselves are not that valuable to me on Solstice ships, as the rooms are all the same size, and similarly equipped.

Plus, with the way the rooms are configured, with children the age of your children, I would want the connecting vestibule, so the kids could come back and forth into our room without going out into the hall.

You can have the partition on the balconies locked open, so the kids can get back and forth through the balconies, but that is not as convenient and frankly, I wouldn't want kids to have to wander back and forth via the balconies in the dark--it's a mother thing, I'm sure. (The Solstice balconies have no outside lights).

Thanks for clearing that up (although I was jealously trying to figure out how you were getting a second C2 room for just $400!!!)

Agree with elena7seas: Stick with the connecting rooms you have! IF accruing Captains Club points is important to you and IF they can find you a pair of C2 connecting rooms for a total of $400 more (and that's good for you) it might be worth it. Otherwise - forget it (IMHO). The two classes of cabins are the same size on the S class ships. Plus $400 buys a lot of soda for them and margaritas for you :D

Enjoy your family cruise!!!

Sara

You have shown me the light. Good points that you ladies have made. It is our first Celebrity cruise and I was trying to get the most bang for our $$! ( with three kids your vacation dollar needs to get alot of bang).

Thanks I will stay with my cabins unless "CONNECTING" C2 rooms open up.

Thanks again:p

• 2 weeks later...
Just upgrade 2 (1c) connecting cabins to 2 (C2) connecting cabins for $167.00!!!!

The cruise gods are with me today!

What a good deal! Congratulations.

I am one who thinks Concierge Class is nice, but worth only so much extra money. The perks are more than worth your upcharge and you'll each earn an extra Captain's Club point.

Have fun,fun,fun!

Sara

Archived