Can I bring my own chair?

MOHAVE

MOHAVE, I was so looking forward to enjoying Fascination's Serenity Deck when I cruised last week. It turned out to be very disappointing and I have wanted to vent about it, but thought I would just let it go. After reading your post about wanting to bring your own chair since your cabin is close to Serenity and you don't want to deal with chair hogs, I felt the need to add my two cents. I say...bring the chair if you feel like it. On our first sea day I went to the gym and then back to my room to change and headed out to the Serenity Deck, after grabbing a glass of juice from the Lido Deck. I got there about 9:00am. To my surprise, it was so crowded but I was able to locate a chair in the front row. This was probably the only chair left that wasn't under the roof. You are packed in there like sardines. The two women I was between were not friendly and were complaining about all the young people on Serenity. Well, everyone on Serenity is over 21. These ladies were probably in their early sixties ( I am 53 yrs. old ). It was so packed and there was no breeze at all since it was packed so tight. When the woman's DH came to talk with her, he sat on her chair facing mine and it was like he was almost touching me and I was totally in their conversation. I heard every word just as if he was on my chair talking to me. Very uncomfortable and I couldn't even concentrate on my book. The chairs weren't facing the sun at that time of the morning. They just face off the back of the ship. They can't be moved since two chairs are hooked together with a little table in between. It was an unpleasant experience for me. I like my space and I like my sun. I like to move my chair with the sun. I like "young people". I left after about a half hour and went up to the Verandah Deck where I was able to enjoy the day. Yes, it was crowded up there ( DH and our group surfaced about 10:30am, and were able to go get chairs from other areas and bring them to where I was. And the people were way friendlier (not stuffy and complaining) and you can move your chair with the sun. Please note we had six people in our group, four adults over age 21( I wonder what time we would have to have gone to Serenity to get four chairs together ) and two college aged kids. My DH did go down to Serenity and lay on a chaise lounge under the roof so he could stay in the shade and nap later on in the afternoon. Those chairs are comfy, I have to say that. And, I might add that the chair hogs were all over that particular sea day on all the sun decks--more than I ever saw on any cruise. But, we were still able to get six chairs up on the Verandah Deck and enjoyed a beautiful day at sea with a nice breeze. Maybe Fascination's Serenity deck is just a small one. There were none of the double chairs or hammocks like I have seen in pictures. There were a couple of hot tubs--always filled. I could look down at the Serenity from the upper decks we were on and I did notice that the Serenity deck was always filled to capacity early every day of our cruise--either a person was on the chair or a towel/personal belongings took up that chair. Yes, Mohave, I say bring your chair--it may be less hassle that trying to find an open one on Serenity. Thanks for letting me vent.

I asked Mach and he said if it could go through the scanner I could bring iT. I have a chair with a 500 pound limit and an umbrella. My son is not that large but he needs a sturdy chair. I was hoping to take it to the beach with me.

Thanks to those with respectable answers. I'm not a rude person but I'll find a chair when I need one I expect.

I have been on many "sold out" ships and have never had a problem finding a chair. There always seems to be stacked chairs that we take and drag to where we want them to be. Has worked so far for us.

I am looking forward to the serenity area on the Freedom in July. The big round chairs and hammocks sound like fun. I've never seen that before.

Leave the chair at home and you'll have room for more shoes.....LOL

I'm traveling solo. My gear is light and small. I'm not trying to sit with anyone in particular so I figure if I have my own chair I can find a cozy spot and sit like I want. I live in Vegas. I'm a backpacker and get all the sun I want. I have a tan. I don't have to have the sun. Since its just me and I take up little real-estate and I have relatively few other plans other than smelling some salt air and relaxing, I figure my tried and true (extremely comforable) folding chair can be my one little luzury I bring on board. My best guess is that I much lower maintinance (and have much less stiuff) than the average wise guy with the chair jokes.

I'll be parking at the pier so the chair goes in the car. That will give me right up until boarding to decide whether it goes or not.

Archived