First Time Cruiser with many questions

grammywig

We are taking our first family cruise on NCL Jewel in July 2011 with group of 8 adults and 7 kids (ages 4-15). We were advised that this is a great ship for family and first time cruisers but I am having second thoughts and wondering if it does not have enough bells and whistles like the newer big ship, NCL Epic. Price was a factor but so is the total experience. Would appreciate advise from experienced travellers on the Jewel.

Do all the NYC sailings on the Jewel have Nick for Kids program?

Is July a really crowded with lots of kids and little pool area room for our group?

Are the restaurants casual dress in July or is there a formal dress even for kids?

What is the best place to view the Sail Away with the kids and is the area really, really crowded in July sailings?

Are there any Drink Stations on board the Jewel and where are they located? What types of beverages are offered? We want the kids to have juice, milk, etc. besides sodas

Are the speciality restaurants hard to book for group of 15?

We have booked some Oceanview Balcony cabins on Deck 9 aft and some Oceanview Window cabins on Deck 8 aft. Are these good locations?

As a Cruise Critic Member can we arrange a private tour of the ship or at least a tour of the bridge, etc to meet the captain, etc.?

We are taking our first family cruise on NCL Jewel in July 2011 with group of 8 adults and 7 kids (ages 4-15). We were advised that this is a great ship for family and first time cruisers but I am having second thoughts and wondering if it does not have enough bells and whistles like the newer big ship, NCL Epic. Price was a factor but so is the total experience. Would appreciate advise from experienced travellers on the Jewel.

Do all the NYC sailings on the Jewel have Nick for Kids program? Sorry, I don't know. You could always call NCL and ask.

Is July a really crowded with lots of kids and little pool area room for our group?

All summer cruises are going to be crowded. It's SUMMER. Families -- like yours -- have vacation time, the kids are out of school, and people are on vacation.

Are the restaurants casual dress in July or is there a formal dress even for kids?

The dress code is the dress code, summer, spring, fall. But NCL's dress code is pretty casual. There are no "formal nights", only "dress up or not" nights. Generally shorts are frowned upon at dinner..yes, even in summer...and flip flops at dinner...but other summer clothing is fine.

What is the best place to view the Sail Away with the kids and is the area really, really crowded in July sailings? There is a panorama deck, windows all around, and lots of open deck space for everyone to enjoy, depending on the weather. Yes, the ship is really really crowded in July. And June. And August.

Are there any Drink Stations on board the Jewel and where are they located? What types of beverages are offered? We want the kids to have juice, milk, etc. besides sodas

Juice is available in the mornings at breakfast. Otherwise you'll be charged for it. Milk and water are available and are "free" -- part of your cruise fare. Lemonade is available in the buffet area...perhaps elsewhere...check at any of the bars and other food venues. Also available is iced tea.

Are the speciality restaurants hard to book for group of 15? Yes. You have to call ahead and reserve. Are you sure EVERYONE will want to eat in the specialty restaurants? Dinner takes 2 hours, is rather "formal"...not something especially younger kids would enjoy. And the kids may well find other kids on board that they'd rather hang out with, than with the family!

We have booked some Oceanview Balcony cabins on Deck 9 aft and some Oceanview Window cabins on Deck 8 aft. Are these good locations?

As a Cruise Critic Member can we arrange a private tour of the ship or at least a tour of the bridge, etc to meet the captain, etc.?Cruise critic "membership" MAY get you a "meet and greet" -- if someone who is on your cruise sets one up. Otherwise, membership will NOT get you a private tour of the ship, or the bridge, etc. While these activities are scheduled on some voyages, there is a fee for them. I don't know if there are any age requirements, so don't know if all your party could go, anyway.[/quote]

Have a great cruise!

Do all the NYC sailings on the Jewel have Nick for Kids program? All JEWEL cruises for the next couple of years will offer some NICK activities

Is July a really crowded with lots of kids and little pool area room for our group? There will be lots of kids in July with school being out.

Are the restaurants casual dress in July or is there a formal dress even for kids? NCL always accepts casual dress, there will be an "optional" formal night, but the choice is yours........dress formal or not.

What is the best place to view the Sail Away with the kids and is the area really, really crowded in July sailings? Sailing out of NY we always like to be on the highest deck forward, with the statue of liberty being on your right side as you face forward.

Are there any Drink Stations on board the Jewel and where are they located? What types of beverages are offered? We want the kids to have juice, milk, etc. besides sodas Buffet area will have water, ice tea, juice (at breakfast) and Milk when ever the buffet is open. Cabins have refrigerators, so bring your own non-alcoholic drinks.

Are the speciality restaurants hard to book for group of 15? A party of 15 will be hard to accomodate, so you will definitely need reservations in the specialty restaurants as well as the main dining room.

We have booked some Oceanview Balcony cabins on Deck 9 aft and some Oceanview Window cabins on Deck 8 aft. Are these good locations? Cabin location depends alot upon where you tend to spend the most time. Mid ship is usually convienient to everything and you feel less movement of the ship.

As a Cruise Critic Member can we arrange a private tour of the ship or at least a tour of the bridge, etc to meet the captain, ect.? I don't think you will be able to get a private tour...the capatian typically comes to the cruise critic meeting so join or start the roll call and get a meeting organized.

The JEWEL is a beautiful ship and should have plenty of things for everyone. The EPIC is almost too large for a group your size...at least in my opinion. I would opt for the JEWEL, but that's only my personal opinion.

See my answers in red above to your other questions. :)

The Jewel is a great ship. Don't think you need the newest biggest ship to have a good time. In fact, I think you would do better on the Jewel class for some many reasons.

Dinner for 15 in the Specialty - I would not suggest it. As to getting everyone together for dinner, some families do fine, but some vacations turn into an ordeal trying to get all those people together for dinner, anywhere.

Based on your questions, I would suggest scanning through some posts and check out my link below.

Enjoy.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and information. I feel much better about our selection of the Jewel for our first cruise after reading your posts. We will definitely consider the free-style dining for our dinners and let everyone select their own time and place. Sounds like a large group dinner is not feasible.:)

Archived