Renting a car in skagway

messymarie

There are, as far as I know, only two rental agencies in Skagway. We were up there early in the season and Avis hadn't opened yet, so we used the only alternative, Sourdough. I'd read very mixed things about them beforehand, and it's very much a Mom-and-Pop outfit, but our experience was just fine.

We have reserved a car with Sourdough for this August. I've read mixed reviews as well, but we're going to give it a shot. They were quick to respond when we emailed to get information for our reservation.

We will be on our 3rd cruise to Alaska in July and decided to rent a car this time in Skagway and do our own road trip. We decided to use sourdough- they were very responsive when I called. Check out their website, it is very detailed and gives you an idea of what to expect.. There are other threads on this here-just do a search and go with who you feel comfortable with.

Renting a car in Skagway is a very popular option. I have made up a page with our experiences. Be sure to get Murray's Guide.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/skagway.html

As Yukon says, (and he is the guy who wrote the book!) there is only one road into the Yukon so you can't get lost. However, the other road is a gravel and dirt road out to Dyea, the old ghost town. Sourdough has no restrictions. Avis can't actually prohibit you from driving out there, but be aware that their insurance is invalid if you do!

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
When you rent from Avis and go to Dyea you have no insurance.

Just to be perfectly clear --

If you operate an Avis car off the paved roads, THEIR "Waiver of Liability", if you bought it, is void, which means they will not pay the deductible on YOUR insurance. But normally your car insurance policy will be fine.

And the Dyea Spur is paved as far as the overlook so it is fine to go out there. It is just on into the ghost town that the road is bad.

Archived