Cavetubing with a camera?

SpaceCoast

I posted this on the Belize board, but no response so far.

When cavetubing is it safe to bring your camera? Should I bring a disposable instead?

As long as it is water resistant bring it. Their is an opportunity for

several "great shots".

I just bought my first DSLR. I dont know what cavetubing is. How ever it sounds like something that could quite easily damage my camera. I would then be upset and my wife would be irked for the money I spent.

:D

I would suggest either disposable or a waterproof camera. We did this excursion with a private company and took the mandatory hike thru the rain forest to the place you enter the river. The tube is in the water and you are about 3-4 feet above it on the side of a little hill. The guide is in the water holding it and you let go of the rope and sit your butt in the tube, unless you're like me, and miss the tube and wind up in the water instead. Therefore I would definitely do waterproof. Have fun, it's a great excursion.

I found this when looking around:

http://www.intova.net/dwdc.html

They are reusable, waterproof up to 100' and have a flash. The price is in the $20 range.

compare.jpg

Film Replacement

Snap Sights cameras will work with any brand, standard 35mm film. Film is rated by ASA. The following chart shows the most common ratings and applications:

• ASA/ISO 100 - Use outdoors on sunny days.
  • ASA/ISO 200 - Same as 100
  • ASA/ISO 400 - Indoor/outdoor, lower light, shallow water, faster movement.
  • ASA/ISO 800 - Indoor/Outdoor, darker, deeper water, faster movement
  • ASA/ISO 1000+ - Fast Action low light

There is a camera from a company called GoPro you can even get the Hi Def version which does video or still shots or set it up to take a picture every 2 seconds. Anyhow this thing can be mounted on your wrist or on a head band or carried like a regular camera on a strap. It is waterproof and very small. It has a regular or wide angle version (up to 170 degrees) and for what it is, is quite inexpensive. Google it and check it out. I just bought one to take scuba diving since the one I purchased is rated to 118 feet deep.

No way - Cave tubing with anything other than a water proof camera. Either a "disposable" or a water proof digital (some are becoming reasonably priced and they take great pictures). The chances of destroying your camera can be pretty high. I guess you could take a chance but I would definately get a waterproof case for it at a minimum.

Please note too that if you choose to get a "case" or "housing" for your "regular" camera there is a difference in terminology. "Water resistant" is good for "light chance" of getting wet such as perhaps if it should "start raining" (you could be in trouble if you're in a "downpour).

Water PROOF will protect your camera should you dunk it. I HIGHLY recommend putting some paper towel in the "case" and dunking it to assure there are no leaks prior to putting in your expensive camera/electronics.

NOW...Case and HOUSING are two different things as well. A "case" you put your camera in to protect it when not in use...a HOUSING you put your camera in to protect it WHILE you use it. A "housing" has different depths on it...usually 10 ft (good for swimming and snorkling) or HIGHER which would be good for scuba diving.

Case and Housing is good terms to understand should you decide to order over the internet.

I found this when looking around:

http://www.intova.net/dwdc.html

They are reusable, waterproof up to 100' and have a flash. The price is in the $20 range.

compare.jpg

Film Replacement

Snap Sights cameras will work with any brand, standard 35mm film. Film is rated by ASA. The following chart shows the most common ratings and applications:

• ASA/ISO 100 - Use outdoors on sunny days.
  • ASA/ISO 200 - Same as 100
  • ASA/ISO 400 - Indoor/outdoor, lower light, shallow water, faster movement.
  • ASA/ISO 800 - Indoor/Outdoor, darker, deeper water, faster movement
  • ASA/ISO 1000+ - Fast Action low light

I have the SS01, which is as sturdy a camera as you'll find for the price. Takes pretty good pictures, but changing film is a pain in the rear if you or the casing is wet. That said, I was surprised that I could change out 35mm film with one hand tied behind my back. I guess that's one of the skill you never quite lose.

A big thanks to all of you! We have a camera store in town, and I am going to go see if they have any of these options available.

Sargent, I shared your pictures with my family. We are even more excited now.

Hopefully, I will have some great pictures of my own to post when we return.

we used a disposable camera, but make sure you get one with a flash,

it gets dark in some of those caves... this was one of the best excursions we have ever done, and we plan on doing it again in Sept... :)

I used my Sealife SCUBA underwater camera and shot this video

when we were floating between the first cave and the second cave

It is hard to get pictures inside the cave because you would need a really big/bright flash.

There are lots of opportunities for pictures walking through the rainforest to get to the caves, getting into the water, between caves, and getting out.

52761082_200.jpg

Cave Tubing in Belize

About this video:

"This video was taken during our shore excursion in Belize. We used Cave-Tubing.com"

Archived