Advice on Miami Beach/South Beach - atmosphere

workinmomof3

I want to stay 1 night post-cruise in Miami, and I found a good deal at the Holiday inn on Miami Beach around South Beach area. I've heard it's pretty risque, not a place for kids. We're not prudes and our kids have seen beaches that are somewhat crazy (we're summer boaters), but I don't want to go anywhere that will damage them psychologically for life or anything...

Any advice? We just wanted a place to relax at the beach/pool for the afternoon before flying back.

Im sure there will be a lot of flack from this, I can tell you the exact SN but I won't. We stayed here in November and will not be going back. We are cruising again this November and are staying at a different hotel. Good luck

HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLET?? Spent one evening at the Holiday Inn in South Beach. Hotel is located around 22nd Street. Hotel was clean. Location is very bad. More vacant buildings than occupied buildings. Lot of grafitti. Resturant selection is very poor. There is an "OUTBACK" attached to the Holiday Inn, 2 steak dinners (including salad), one salmon dinner 2 scotches and 1 diet soda no dessert total bill $106.00 Walking at night is not recommended. We went back to the Hotel and decided to visit the cocktail lounge for a night cap 8:00PM ordered 2 scotches nothing else. Total bill $21.30. The bartender would not accept a credit card as the machine was broken. Would not let it be charged to your room. End up paying cash.

Breakfast the next morning was a real joke as well. Buffet style. Typical breakfast food. Nothing fancy. Are your ready $11.95 per person. There were 3 of us. Over $40.00 for breakfast, I don't think so. We opt to use the Lobby Cafe'. Two coffees, one orange juice, 1 bagel w/cream cheese and a blueberry muffin total $9.00.

I have stayed at many Holiday Inn's throught the U.S. and will more than likely stay at one in the future, but not this one. My family agrees, one night was enough.

I want to stay 1 night post-cruise in Miami, and I found a good deal at the Holiday inn on Miami Beach around South Beach area. I've heard it's pretty risque, not a place for kids. We're not prudes and our kids have seen beaches that are somewhat crazy (we're summer boaters), but I don't want to go anywhere that will damage them psychologically for life or anything...

Any advice? We just wanted a place to relax at the beach/pool for the afternoon before flying back.

Hi,

I haven't stayed at this Holiday Inn but my cousin did last year. They stayed a few days and she said she would never ever stay there again.....Not worth it! Dump......I think most of the beaches are tops optional......

I have stayed in Miami Beach before....we used Hotwire and received Wyndam Miami Beach. It was very nice & we paid 69.00 a nice (normal room rate $200 plus)....it's a little farther from South Beach but for that price it didn't matter. It was located on the beach & also had a pool. Only problem with Hotwire is that you can't select your bed preferences.........

There are tons of places to stay in south beach...check out tripadvisor.com....they usually have reviews........

Good Luck & Have a wonderful cruise!

Sue

While it is not right on the beach it is a lovely and very safe section of Miami. We have stayed twice and used Priceline both times. Depending on what time of year you will be there you can expect to win a room at the Hyatt for between $60 and $80 per night. There are many many restaurants within easy walking distance. This is a very upscale area and I was so glad we stayed here. We rented a car and drove out to Bill Baggs State Beach one day. It was pristine and uncrowded and we (self DH and then 3 yr old DS) just had a lovely relaxing day. I think you would be very happy if you stayed in Coral Gables.....we were. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in Hotel Shelley. I don't know if I would recommend it. It isn't a kid place but there are others in that same area that would probably be ok. If you want to stay on SOBE, stay on Collins Ave (or Street) between 7th and 10th. Lots of good places to eat. Prices not bad. Collins is one block off beach. And the beach would be an unforgetful experiance for the kids.

We go an stay at South Beach often with our kids and they love it. There is another thread on this section with same question check it out..it too had some responses. But the kids will enjoy the ocean it is beautiful dont think going to South Beach will mess your kids up but open them up to different cultures.

Archived